power EE test question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sd3232

Reaction score
please look at attached file for question and answer, i dont get the answer, can someone explain this one to me? answer says phase to ground is equal to phase to phase, VBG=VBA=13.2kV, i thought phase to ground was 7.62kV? why is C a right answer? thanks

question.jpg

please look at attached file for question and answer, i dont get the answer, can someone explain this one to me? answer says phase to ground is equal to phase to phase, VBG=VBA=13.2kV, i thought phase to ground was 7.62kV? why is C a right answer? thanks
Draw it out. You should see that the phase-phase voltage will be the same as the phase-ground voltage for that leg.

If you ground one leg of a delta system (or ungrounded wye for that matter), the magnitude of the voltage between either of the other two legs and ground will be the line voltage (VL-L).

sd3232 , The system is "ungrounded" the grounding point is floating for this system there is not going to draw any current also

thanks guys, but its still fuzzy to me, is it 13.2kV because on delta phase to ground voltage is equal phase to phase? if some one could provide a sketch, i will keep reading the response and may be i will get it, need some time

thanks guys, but its still fuzzy to me, is it 13.2kV because on delta phase to ground voltage is equal phase to phase? if some one could provide a sketch, i will keep reading the response and may be i will get it, need some time
The explaination is in the answer. There is no ground path.just like some one said above the system is floating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back