Pot meet Kettle

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll admit, I didn’t read the whole thing top to bottom, but for hat I did read, you’re picking a quote that only portrays a part of the picture.

The article is from 8years ago.  With the way things are moving today, I’d be willing to bet all the numbers would be vastly different nowadays.

Yes, 5.9% were false reports, but you left out the part where only 35% of cases actually resulted in prosecution or disciplinary action.  

@jeb6294, I did not just pick a quote. I posted the abstract. Those words are what the authors of the study chose to best represent what their study is about.

Secondly, I understand the study is 8 years old. It also only took a look at cases at a specific unnamed university. But jI do not believe that just because more cases are being reported today, that anything about this study should be discounted.

Thirdly, what does the 35% of cases in disciplinary action have to say to this? I'd argue that this might have more to do with how sexual assault cases have been handled in this country, more than anything else.

In the article false accusations are defined as instances where evidence has been found to show that no assault occurred.  The 35% of cases that resulted in disciplinary action found sufficient evidence to prosecute. That means in 59% of the cases there wasn’t enough evidence to say either way.  That’s the biggest hurdle with so many sexual assault cases. How do you not discount the victim while still maintaining innocent until proven guilty?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to briefly dig up the horse and get one more hit in, they just announced that local university has to pay $47k to a male student who was immediately expelled when a female student decided that she had been assaulted.

In case you forgot the backstory: guy meets girl on Tinder.  They talk for a while and meet once school starts, and as happens sometimes, one thing leads to another.  A month after the fact, girl decides that it wasn't actually consensual and that she was assaulted.  When she goes to the school to tell them about the awful night and how she doesn't feel safe on campus, the guy is immediately expelled.  When it's finally investigated by a neutral party (which took a little while because they also discovered that girl was screwing the cop who was supposed to be investigating) they found out that guy and girl hooked up consensually and that she felt guilty because she had a boyfriend at home.

Back