Post SE Exam results here...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was really close. But I guess an Acceptable essay answer result doesn't necessarily mean perfect, i.e., 10 points out of 10. Or, an Unacceptable doesn't necessarily mean 0/10.
Absolutely correct. My April exam was crazy - I was above average in all the sections for the AM session and for the afternoon session I had an unacceptable on 1 problem (the first problem) and the rest were acceptable, so I called the board to see how "close" I was. Turns out each "section" of the afternoon session per problem has it's own weight and even if you "passed" that problem you might have passed by the skin of your teeth with getting the bare minimum for that problem. Trust me when I write this, they will still leave you in the dark on what you did that was "unsatisfactory".
Congratulations! For the April exam, you said you were above average in all sections. What was your score out of 40?
Morning section was a total of 33/40 correct (I know the damn AASHTO questions destroyed me) , afternoon session was 1 unacceptable the rest acceptable. *shrug*
Thank you for the clarification. 33/40 was probably top ten percentile. Scary, it looks like if you score one unacceptable in the PM session you are out, even the aggregate score (PM + AM) is over 70%.
Yes, it is 100% correct to say that if you miss in one of the evening session, you are going to miss the whole Lateral or Vertical
Passed Lateral but failed with Vertical: got 33/40 in the morning, 1 unaccepatble on wood and 3 accepatble on others. Very frustrated and upset. I thought the grading is terrible I don't understand how I could fail with wood? I looked at AM diagnostic report it shows that I got 4/4 in the knowledge area of "wood" (100% right). So how they tell me my performance in wood is "unaccepatble"?
I'm assuming if you got 33/40 AM and 3 acceptable with one (1) "improvement required" you might have passed.

That was really close. But I guess an Acceptable essay answer result doesn't necessarily mean perfect, i.e., 10 points out of 10. Or, an Unacceptable doesn't necessarily mean 0/10.
Absolutely correct. My April exam was crazy - I was above average in all the sections for the AM session and for the afternoon session I had an unacceptable on 1 problem (the first problem) and the rest were acceptable, so I called the board to see how "close" I was. Turns out each "section" of the afternoon session per problem has it's own weight and even if you "passed" that problem you might have passed by the skin of your teeth with getting the bare minimum for that problem. Trust me when I write this, they will still leave you in the dark on what you did that was "unsatisfactory".
Congratulations! For the April exam, you said you were above average in all sections. What was your score out of 40?
Morning section was a total of 33/40 correct (I know the damn AASHTO questions destroyed me) , afternoon session was 1 unacceptable the rest acceptable. *shrug*
Thank you for the clarification. 33/40 was probably top ten percentile. Scary, it looks like if you score one unacceptable in the PM session you are out, even the aggregate score (PM + AM) is over 70%.
Yes, it is 100% correct to say that if you miss in one of the evening session, you are going to miss the whole Lateral or Vertical
Passed Lateral but failed with Vertical: got 33/40 in the morning, 1 unaccepatble on wood and 3 accepatble on others. Very frustrated and upset. I thought the grading is terrible I don't understand how I could fail with wood? I looked at AM diagnostic report it shows that I got 4/4 in the knowledge area of "wood" (100% right). So how they tell me my performance in wood is "unaccepatble"?
I'm assuming if you got 33/40 AM and 3 acceptable with one (1) "improvement required" you might have passed.
Thanks. But I am wondering what's the difference between "Improvement required" and "Unacceptable"? Actually I didn't feel bad with the PM one that they thought "Unacceptable". I completed that one and didn't feel I got something wrong. Even thogh a small error, it shouldn't be rated as "unacceptable". Their grading on the essay problems is just like a black box....lack of transparency....

Thanks. But I am wondering what's the difference between "Improvement required" and "Unacceptable"? Actually I didn't feel bad with the PM one that they thought "Unacceptable". I completed that one and didn't feel I got something wrong. Even thogh a small error, it shouldn't be rated as "unacceptable". Their grading on the essay problems is just like a black box....lack of transparency....
That was your problem, you said, "I didn't feel bad". IMHO feeling good about taking this exam is the kiss of death. lol.

Has anyone heard anything about IL results? CTS told me last week that they would be posted this week, but there's still nothing...

here is an email that CTS sent to me as a reply:

Grades have not been applied at all yet due to unforeseen circumstances. I hope they will be applied to our system soon and will be mailed immediately afterward. I am hoping they will be up by next week some time. Sorry about the delay.

Still waiting on IL SE results....here is the latest response (excuse):

The grades are not posted at all yet. The general manager, who is in charge of the grade upload, is currently out of the office on an emergency medical leave. I am not sure when he will be back in. We are hoping it will be sometime soon. Sorry.

Is there seriously no backup plan for posting grades. How

Is Illinois the only state that has additional testing rules to the NCEES policies? Would love to get those results back so that I can plan accordingly.

I only chose Illinois to sit for my exam to take the new 16hr. exam as I got caught in the test switch overlap. Based on my experience with CTS and other additional policies I don't feel like dealing with them again if I have to retake any portion.

I know CTS posted the PE grades this year within a week of receiving them from NCEES, so this medical leave must have started right after that. I would think they could possibly have someone else in the office do it, but it might be a privacy issue or something.

Here's the IL CTS update as of a few minutes ago:

The manager who is in charge of uploading the grades is currently out of the office on an emergency medical leave. We are working with him to upload, post and release the grades. I am hoping this can be done within the next week. Sorry for the inconvenience.

This morning I emailed Continental Testing Services (CTS) about Illinois SE exam results and they responded saying the results were not in yet....
I just emailed CTS, their statement was they are "hoping" to have results uploaded this week. The staff member responsible for their uploading had a "medical emergency" and is helping them as much as possible.

Growing tired....and anxious.

Here's the IL CTS update as of a few minutes ago:

The manager who is in charge of uploading the grades is currently out of the office on an emergency medical leave. We are working with him to upload, post and release the grades. I am hoping this can be done within the next week. Sorry for the inconvenience.

WOW, they have their line down! I received the EXACT same email.

This still doesn't explain why they haven't sent out the "hard copy" results via snail mail. Supposedly CTS had the results from NCEES several days ago. In fact NCEES claims that they released the results December 16th. Is this one single person the only one who controls all test results being sent out? Hard to believe. This leads to the question; does CTS or NCEES define the score? If NCEES determined the scores then CTS simply is a "middle-man" and the results have just been sitting on someone's desk for far too long.

Maybe this is just an unfortunate delay and I am just overreacting.

You're preaching to the choir ABD, so to speak! It seems hard to believe no one else has the capability to post exam scores. And point well made as to the result determination. NCEES, since they are the governing body, should have control over the release and determination of ALL results. CTS's role is to provide testing conditions/staff, not grading and results. I wonder whether this has been and issue in the past that simply falls to the wayside once results are given.

...I find the delay rather suspect....

I just called ILDFPR and they said they can't do anything because they have not received the results from CTS.

I just talked with NCEES. Here's what they said:

me: I took the SE exam in October 2011 and still have not gotten results from Continental Testing even though you released the the results to them on December 16. They say the person in their office that handles the grades is on a medical leave. Is there anything you can do?

Support Agent: No, NCEES is not allowed to release results directly to IL examinees

me: I'm wondering how they can hold National exam results for 3 weeks just because someone is sick

Support Agent: You may want to call the IL Engineering Board. Maybe they can assist you.

me:

I tried that and they said they can't help because they have not received the results from continental testing

Support Agent: all state boards have access to the results through NCEES

me: Ok, maybe I'll try them back. Do you know who I should ask for there?

Support Agent: No, we don't have a particular contact name

I might try and call ILDFPR again

Last edited by a moderator:
I email Continental and got the same response today 1-5-12. how long have they been sending out this email?

Back