Post SE Exam results here...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really did study my arse off for the April exam, but I still wasn't as prepared as I should have been for the lateral portion - it was such a bummer. When it comes to what will be on the exam - Lord only knows, I doubt there will be an essay portion dealing with precast high seismic (determining the forces and developing the connection calcs alone for that would take at least 2 hours by hand), but there might be a "given" load and a "design this portion of the system" problem. You should definitely know your concrete detailing requirements in high seismic regions, and make sure you know your ASCE seismic and wind tables - INCLUDING the footnotes like the back of your hand.

while I'm thinking of it, do you think we'll see any precast high seismic moment frames on the test? I'm fully expecting tilt-up to be on there.
My answer to this would be to expect any and everything.

Got my results yesterday, passed the Lateral!

For the vertical I got 30/40 and 2 Acceptable, 1 Improvement Required, 1 Unacceptable.

I'm going to call after the holidays and see if anything can be done, it looks like I'm right on the cusp.

Is there anyone you can contact at NCEES to talk about scores.

I am livid right now. Took the lateral and got 4 acceptable on the essay questions but only 23 out of 40 on the multiple and failed. I don't understand how you can be perfect in the essay and fail because of the multiple choice. I mean which one shows a better understanding of your knowledge?

Is there anyone you can contact at NCEES to talk about scores.

I am livid right now. Took the lateral and got 4 acceptable on the essay questions but only 23 out of 40 on the multiple and failed. I don't understand how you can be perfect in the essay and fail because of the multiple choice. I mean which one shows a better understanding of your knowledge?
Wow! It better be a good explanation to this. We all understand that the passing score is 70%. But, is that means that on both AM and PM you should have minimum 70%. And again, what acceptable means, as far as scoring is concerned? If on all essays I get a score of 8 out of 10, I believe all of them are acceptable, but my score is 80% for the PM part. Following the same logic, do I need a 60% or a minimum of 70% for the AM section to pass?

Good luck and please share with us what you find out...

Is there anyone you can contact at NCEES to talk about scores. I am livid right now. Took the lateral and got 4 acceptable on the essay questions but only 23 out of 40 on the multiple and failed. I don't understand how you can be perfect in the essay and fail because of the multiple choice. I mean which one shows a better understanding of your knowledge?
Hoven,

That was really close. But I guess an Acceptable essay answer result doesn't necessarily mean perfect, i.e., 10 points out of 10. Or, an Unacceptable doesn't necessarily mean 0/10.

That was really close. But I guess an Acceptable essay answer result doesn't necessarily mean perfect, i.e., 10 points out of 10. Or, an Unacceptable doesn't necessarily mean 0/10.
Absolutely correct. My April exam was crazy - I was above average in all the sections for the AM session and for the afternoon session I had an unacceptable on 1 problem (the first problem) and the rest were acceptable, so I called the board to see how "close" I was. Turns out each "section" of the afternoon session per problem has it's own weight and even if you "passed" that problem you might have passed by the skin of your teeth with getting the bare minimum for that problem. Trust me when I write this, they will still leave you in the dark on what you did that was "unsatisfactory".

State Board: New York

Exam Type: Structural Engineering

Component: Vertical

Component Date: October 2011

Component Result: Acceptable

1 down, 1 more to go!!!!!!!!

Absolutely correct. My April exam was crazy - I was above average in all the sections for the AM session and for the afternoon session I had an unacceptable on 1 problem (the first problem) and the rest were acceptable, so I called the board to see how "close" I was. Turns out each "section" of the afternoon session per problem has it's own weight and even if you "passed" that problem you might have passed by the skin of your teeth with getting the bare minimum for that problem. Trust me when I write this, they will still leave you in the dark on what you did that was "unsatisfactory".
Congratulations! For the April exam, you said you were above average in all sections. What was your score out of 40?

Congrats to all of the passers!

To everyone who has to take one or both exams next time, we're here for you!

Still no idea on my IL SE exam results. NCEES, CTS, and ILDFPR all give me different information. I think it is a conspiracy!

SE Exam Fees Illinios charges $1,020.00 for both parts or $538.00 for one part. What do other states charge?

Congratulations! For the April exam, you said you were above average in all sections. What was your score out of 40?
Morning section was a total of 33/40 correct (I know the damn AASHTO questions destroyed me) , afternoon session was 1 unacceptable the rest acceptable. *shrug*

Morning section was a total of 33/40 correct (I know the damn AASHTO questions destroyed me) , afternoon session was 1 unacceptable the rest acceptable. *shrug*
Thank you for the clarification. 33/40 was probably top ten percentile. Scary, it looks like if you score one unacceptable in the PM session you are out, even the aggregate score (PM + AM) is over 70%.

I attempted both vertical and lateral in Oct 2011 for the first time.

Passed lateral. But failed in Vertival from CA

Morning 22/40 Afternoon 3 acceptable + 1 improvement required.

I am not sure what I missed in the morning session but It could be AASHTO?

Congrats to everyone who passed. Others keep learing till you pass.

Thank you for the clarification. 33/40 was probably top ten percentile. Scary, it looks like if you score one unacceptable in the PM session you are out, even the aggregate score (PM + AM) is over 70%.
Yes, it is 100% correct to say that if you miss in one of the evening session, you are going to miss the whole Lateral or Vertical

LESSON LEARNED: know how to complete essay problems and take your chances with the rest if needed...

Yes, it is 100% correct to say that if you miss in one of the evening session, you are going to miss the whole Lateral or Vertical
Passed Lateral but failed with Vertical: got 33/40 in the morning, 1 unaccepatble on wood and 3 accepatble on others.

Very frustrated and upset. I thought the grading is terrible I don't understand how I could fail with wood? I looked at AM diagnostic report it shows that I got 4/4 in the knowledge area of "wood" (100% right). So how they tell me my performance in wood is "unaccepatble"?

Back