Poll: Which engineering branch...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which dicipline has all the crazies?

• Agricultural

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Civil

• Chemical

• Corrosion

• Control Systems

• Electrical

• Envrionmental

• Fire Protection

• Geotechnical/Soils

• Industrial

• Land Surveyor

• Mechanical

• Manufacturing

• Metallurgical

• Nuclear

• Petroleum

• Quality

• Structural

• Safety

• Traffic

• Total voters

Sschell

Dude?
Reaction score
We all know an engineer or two that is a little odd.

I am just curious to see if one dicipline has more odd-balls than the others.

Please vote for the dicipline which you think has the kookiest individuals practicing it.

(My vote is ChemE's... everyone that I have met is... well.... a bit different.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee thanks sschell, I might lose my mind sometimes but I'm not kookie.

I voted for nuclear. I all the nucEs I met when I took a nuclear eng course were definitely kookie.

Not engineering per se, but we had a landscape architecture group that was pretty far out there at my old job. Typical Vermont tree hugging types with hemp necklaces and Birkenstocks and weird organic foods. Hell bent on designing stuff that looked beautiful on a mock up, but was totally unbuildable. I figured, meh, it's Vermont, a lotta people are like that there.

Then I moved here, and they're still all the same.

LA's are the kookiest in my book.

I voted metallurgy. Not only have I seen two metallurgy/welding engineers get in a physical shoving match over replicative microscopy, but I know another one who wears only Hawaiian shirts, is missing two fingers, and flys a helicopter to work every day that he built himself.

Gee thanks sschell, I might lose my mind sometimes but I'm not kookie.
sez the chick with a pic of a camel eating her son for an avatar...

edit: oh sure.... change your avatar after I say something... wait... wtf is that?

editedit: is that a carved wooden goatse?

I voted nuke.

I guess I'm still haunted by the Navy sales pitch from my college years: "We will give you this and that and the other thing. Only catch is you'll have to live on a submarine for months at a time."

I think there was more to the sales pitch but I didn't hear anything after that.

Having never met a nuclear the winner is chemical. All the chemical ducks I've met have been odd.

What about aerospace engineers? I know many, and some are great while some are definitely extra-nerdy too.

Rocket scientists get stereotyped for being kooky and nerdy for a reason, right?

I've known a few nuke engineers and yes, they sure get to ranting, but when they do I always enjoy it and join right in. So that probably means I am a kook. But at any rate, I voted ag engineering - pretty much everyone I have ever met in government ag jobs, especially (and that includes many engineers), are flaming nuts. I think the whole "we grow food" thing puts them into a sort of mission-from-God mindset, which no other branch of engineering can match.

I've known a few nuke engineers and yes, they sure get to ranting, but when they do I always enjoy it and join right in. So that probably means I am a kook. But at any rate, I voted ag engineering - pretty much everyone I have ever met in government ag jobs, especially (and that includes many engineers), are flaming nuts. I think the whole "we grow food" thing puts them into a sort of mission-from-God mindset, which no other branch of engineering can match.
We're on a mission from God; we're getting the band back together.

what, no stormwater on the list?! I suppose that falls under civil...

I knew one ag engineer in college and he was a big-time stoner. His plan was to wait until weed was legalized, then he was going to make his fortune marketing a mixture of malt liquour and THC.

It was either the smartest or dumbest idea ever. It's tough to tell sometimes.

Back