Poll: What do you plan on doing with your PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you plan on doing with your PE?

• Seal drawings at work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seal drawings / advise clients for consulting

• Use it to establish yourself as an excellent engineer

• None of the above - have no plans to use it

• Total voters
B

bigtrees

What do you plan on doing with your PE after you receive it?

Last edited:
It was more of a personal accomplishment and an investment in my future. Don't need one in the current job and it didn't bring in more $.

My ultimate goal will be to open up a second office for the company I currently work for, back home on the coast. I need an Alabama PE to be able to do that.

I need it to get promoted.

It was also my goal when I entered college.

I seal drawings at work from time to time, but the main reason I did it was to keep my options open for promotion and advancement.

I am getting to the point in my line of work where I would be approaching a glass ceiling otherwise without my PE. I didn't want to be a staff engineer doing nothing but calcs and CAD forever.

What do you plan on doing with your PE after you receive it?

I really only need it to be taken more seriously as a consultant in my current job. But it will open more doors, more $, more promotions etc obviously. But no stamping drawings for me.

My immediate need was to get promoted and make more money. I am with a city engineering department. However, it's nice to know that there are now more opportunities that I didn't have before I got it. Having just recently turned 40, I can honestly say that I have never had any specific goals or have the gift of knowing exactly what I have wanted to do with my life. One thing that has served me well is to leave myself in a good position to move on to the next level once the oppurtunity presented itself.

Peace! :unitedstates:

At this point it will be used for future advancement, but means an immediate pay increase. If I pass, that'll be nice! I work for a large company so they get the added advantage of writing down one more PE and I won't even have to seal anything right away. Not a bad thing!

Last edited by a moderator:
R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

I got no money from it, but gained a lot in respect form the folks I regulate (government engineer). I know it shouldnb't be that way, but it is, especially when you're checking the work of civil engineers.

I got a small raise, but the main reasons were:

1) It was a goal since college

2) Respect

3) To establish my own consulting practice

Hey Forum!

For those that have/had no plans to use it, why go through the hell of studying for it? I saw an almost 20% response for those with no use for their PE

Hey Forum!
For those that have/had no plans to use it, why go through the hell of studying for it? I saw an almost 20% response for those with no use for their PE
Resume/business card ornament or personal challenge. That's why I did it originally, but it turns out that I'm actually using it now (after a career change).

Hey Forum!
Most of us work for the state/federal/local governments which are review jobs and as such no license is required, and therefore not compensated.

Hey Forum!
Because I had nothing better to do. :joke:

mostly for the personal satisfaction that I can say I passed, on my first attempt too.

I wanted a really cool stamp with my name on it.

Now that is it out of the way, I'll have it in my back pocket for any future job.

Wanted to give my parents something to brag about since we don't have kids yet.

I think most people who get it with no plans to use it are thinking (to some degree at least) about what their next career move might be. Most (but obviously, not all) people test better when they are younger and closer to their college years... so it makes sense to get the PE earlier rather than later.

Back