Pocket Certificate

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makismyname

I Am Makneto
Reaction score
From California. I received my pocket certificate the other day and laminated it ($2 at Staples). It fits perfectly in my wallet. 

Does anyone whip these out regularly for work?

I'm definitely showing this off at my family new years eve party.

PS. Reading from April 2015 thread, our certificates should arrive the week after receiving our pocket certificates.

I did exactly the same thing you did with my pocket certificate [emoji16]

I just stuck it in my ID badge holder. I didn't see a point to laminating it because they would send you a new one once you pay your renewal fees in March

Mine is in a name tag holder in a desk drawer at work.   Doubt I will ever need it outside the one copy of it HR wanted. 

When I was first licensed, I was excited to receive it.  And, yes, I do always keep it in my wallet.  But, no, I don't think I have used it once.  The closest I came to using it was when I faxed it (I think for some insurance "professional" discount) but, obviously, I didn't need to carry it in my wallet for this purpose.  And I could have just as well faxed a copy of my 8.5"x11" cert. 

I don't bother paying to laminate them because they have expiration dates.  Also, it drives me absolutely bonkers that the wallet cards are like 10% bigger than a credit card!!  Why???  So, first I photocopy it at 90% so it easily fits in my wallet.  Then I just use clear packing tape to carefully "self-laminate" it for free.  :)  

I haven't used mine personally. But I was on a job site once where a recently layed-off [and pissed-off] electrician convinced the local code officials that the company was using unlicensed electricians to do work. The inspector came down and had to inspect every person's license that was on-site. The engineer explained we were observing the work, he took issue with us until the engineer was able to produce his pocket card, and suddenly the inspector was okay with our presence. So after that I always carry mine to job sites in case there are any issues like that.

Back