Pharmacy Discount Cards

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bman

Reaction score
I recieved one of these pharmacy discount cards in the mail yesterday which says it can save you up to 75% off of prescription drugs. No fees at all, no strings attached. I have good health coverage, so I don't need it, but I was pretty sure it must be some sort of scam, so I went ahead and googled it and found the following exchange on a yahoo answers webpage. This had me cracking up last night, so I thought I'd share.

Pharmacy Discount Card?

My mom got in the mail free pharmacy discount card from Health Benefits Network.

Its web address is pharmacydiscountnetwork.com. I checked it out, but I am still not sure.

So what do you think, legal or scam?

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

The website says "Discounts vary and can range anywhere from 0%-75%". This means that you will not save more than 75% and might not save anything. Also, even if you do "save" 75%, it is 75% off of some arbitrarily high "list" price or "suggested" price, not 75% off of what you would pay without the card.

I think that they are telling the truth when they say you will not save more than 75% and I think that they are telling the truth when they say that you might not save anything.

Since the only thing that they promise it that you will not save more than 75%, I think you can be confident that they will do what they promise. If you save nothing, they have done what they promised. If you save 0.0001%, they have done what they promised. And if you save 74.9999%, they have done what they promised. Remember, what you are paying for is a guarantee that they will ensure that you do not ever save more than 75%. They do not guarantee you will save anything. They just guarantee that one of three things will happen, either you will save 75%, you will save less than 75%, or you will save nothing. They do not guarantee which one of those will happen. Unless you save more than 75%, they have done what you paid them to do, which was to keep you from saving more than 75%.

So, technically, it is not a scam. I do not know why you would want to pay for something that says that it might not save you any money, but I am confident that they will not go back on their word by taking your money and then saving you more than 75% after you paid them not to do so.

They might save you nothing, but that is not a scam; that is what they told you they would do.

Apparently the cards are provided by pharmaceutical companies as an incentive to buy their name brand drugs vs. the generic ones that most insurances cover at a reasonable cost. Its not really a scam, but it appears that they collect quite a bit of information on you when you use the card, so there are some privacy concerns... I just thought the response to the question was hilarious.

I always get a chuckle out of ads that "guarantee" to save you "up to" xx%.

What about the ones that say "up to xx% OR MORE." if there is a MORE then they should say what the more is.

Back