Per Unit Impedance

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnana

Reaction score
Power system analysis by grainger provides the formula (1.55)

P.U Impedance =[ (actual impedance, ohm) x (base KVA)] / [(base voltage, Kv)^2 * 1000]

If you do a derivation for PU Impdance = Zactual/Zbase where Zbase = (Vbase, KV)^2/ (Sbase, KVA) you get thesame result as shown above without the 1000 in the denominator.

Not sure if this makes sense but it helps if you write it out and take a look.

Will be glad if anyone can clarify the confusion.

Thanks

Power system analysis by grainger provides the formula (1.55)P.U Impedance =[ (actual impedance, ohm) x (base KVA)] / [(base voltage, Kv)^2 * 1000]

If you do a derivation for PU Impdance = Zactual/Zbase where Zbase = (Vbase, KV)^2/ (Sbase, KVA) you get thesame result as shown above without the 1000 in the denominator.

Not sure if this makes sense but it helps if you write it out and take a look.

Will be glad if anyone can clarify the confusion.

Thanks
If you take Pu Z = Zactual/Zbase as you did and then substitute equation 1.53 for Zbase you get equation 1.55. You just end up inverting equation 1.53 and multiplying by actual Z.

I think you slipped a bit as Zbase Not equal (Vbase, KV)^2/ (Sbase, KVA) IT SHOULD BE equation 1.54 Zbase = (Vbase, KV)^2/ (Sbase, MVA) which is where you lost a couple 000's.

I see what you are saying.

I was working some sample problems and i used the the grainger formula but my answers did not match any of the proposed answers. When i looked at the solution in the book, the answer used Zbase equal (Vbase, KV)^2/ (Sbase, KVA). Not sure why they did that. That's why i was trying to get a clarification to see which one is correct.

I see what you are saying. I was working some sample problems and i used the the grainger formula but my answers did not match any of the proposed answers. When i looked at the solution in the book, the answer used Zbase equal (Vbase, KV)^2/ (Sbase, KVA). Not sure why they did that. That's why i was trying to get a clarification to see which one is correct.
Remember there are a few sample problems floating around that have an error in their solution. Feel free to post the sample if you want and someone will likely stop by to help.

Latest posts

Back