Pencil

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have an FE NCEES pencil.  When I took it in Oct '01, it was the last administration where you could use your own pencil (and any calculator).  :(  

We were also allowed to keep jackets on the back of our chair. (saw a comment above that someone said you can't do that). The only thing we couldn't do was keep a water bottle on the table, which makes sense.
I kept a jacket on the back of my chair before I put on because I was cold! That might be test site specific, though.

When I took my paper/pencil EIT, they let us keep the pencils and they let me keep 2x of the reference books that they provided! I shared them with others that had not taken the EIT. Since you cannot take anything into the EIT, there is no way to add material to your book for exam use.

On the PE exam on Friday - they told us we could keep our pencils if we wanted. We were also allowed to keep jackets on the back of our chair. (saw a comment above that someone said you can't do that). The only thing we couldn't do was keep a water bottle on the table, which makes sense.
Agreed, the water bottle on the table makes perfect sense. :) 

I don't have an FE NCEES pencil.  When I took it in Oct '01, it was the last administration where you could use your own pencil (and any calculator).  :(  
Wait???!!?? "any calculator?", Man, this would not apply in 2001 I don't think, but I would have brought in my colored screen calculator so fast!! These gray scale screens just tire my eyes! 

I was a little bit annoyed that they didn't care about hooded sweatshirts at my exam site, they only told you to have the hood down. I definitely would have worn mine if I knew it was going to be ok since I'd be most comfortable/warm in it. Not that I wanted people to have been ask to take theirs off. 

Agreed, the water bottle on the table makes perfect sense. :) 

Wait???!!?? "any calculator?", Man, this would not apply in 2001 I don't think, but I would have brought in my colored screen calculator so fast!! These gray scale screens just tire my eyes! 
If there were calculator limitations, I was not aware of them.  Perhaps wide calculators like the TI-92 were not permitted but, who knows, maybe they were.  All I know is I brought/used my TI-89 and I possibly might not have passed without it.  All of the calculus questions?  Simply input and hit enter.  It was awesome. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Still have my blue and white pencil from taking the FE in April 2010. Ironically, my pencil for the April 2017 PE was also blue and white. Only slight font difference and of course a different year.

If there were calculator limitation, I was not aware of them.  Perhaps wide calculators like the TI-92 were not permitted but, who knows, maybe they were.  All I know is I brought/used my TI-89 and I possibly might not have passed without it.  All of the calculus questions?  Simply input and hit enter.  It was awesome. 
Fantastic!!  I've never been good at graphing calculators though. The new Casio Prizm and Class Pad 2 are just awesome to look at. We need scientific calculators with colored screens. The new FX 991 model added has much better resolution and that's what I used for the PE exam. I still have a TI-89 Titanium in a deep corner of my desk. :) It will never get new batteries. lol 

Fantastic!!  I've never been good at graphing calculators though. The new Casio Prizm and Class Pad 2 are just awesome to look at. We need scientific calculators with colored screens. The new FX 991 model added has much better resolution and that's what I used for the PE exam. I still have a TI-89 Titanium in a deep corner of my desk. :) It will never get new batteries. lol 
lol

To this day, the TI-89 (the original TI-89, I'll take mine black please!) is my go-to calculator.  I have one at work, one on my desk at home, and one in my backpack.  I don't use the graphing part, I just like the big screen, multiple lines, and recallable history.  I used it for the survey and seismic exam too.  :)  

I was a little bit annoyed that they didn't care about hooded sweatshirts at my exam site, they only told you to have the hood down. I definitely would have worn mine if I knew it was going to be ok since I'd be most comfortable/warm in it. Not that I wanted people to have been ask to take theirs off. 
Just wear a comfy non-hooded sweatshirt/jacket??

lol

To this day, the TI-89 (the original TI-89, I'll take mine black please!) is my go-to calculator.  I have one at work, one on my desk at home, and one in my backpack.  I don't use the graphing part, I just like the big screen, multiple lines, and recallable history.  I used it for the survey and seismic exam too.  :)  

"NCEES POLICY REGARDING THE USE OF MECHANICAL PENCILS - The National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) has adopted a policy which requires all examinees to use the mechanical pencils NCEES provides at the examination site. You cannot use your own personal writing instrument. Examinees must use NCEES-issued mechanical pencils only. These pencils will be distributed at the examination site. The pencil will be pre-loaded with 0.7-mm HB lead. Examinees may NOT bring lead or erasers. If additional lead or an eraser is needed during the examination, raise your hand and a proctor will issue an additional pencil. After the exam you may keep the NCEES pencils."
That mechanical pencil quote is a nice touch!!    :D

Still have my blue and white pencil from taking the FE in April 2010. Ironically, my pencil for the April 2017 PE was also blue and white. Only slight font difference and of course a different year.
This is a sign, you will pass 100%!

I had a dream... where all of God's pencils... were judged on the content of their cylinder.  Or something like that.

Back