PE Test Reference Manual List

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stlaggies

Reaction score
I am scheduled to take the PE Exam in October and am leaning towards taking the Transportation afternoon section. I have the Civil Engineering Reference Manual 9th Edition by Lindeburg. I've been told that this manual has most of the references I will need for the exam. In your experience what are some other references I should take in?

I am scheduled to take the PE Exam in October and am leaning towards taking the Transportation afternoon section. I have the Civil Engineering Reference Manual 9th Edition by Lindeburg. I've been told that this manual has most of the references I will need for the exam. In your experience what are some other references I should take in?

1. Goswami - All-in-One: excellent reference for the breadth exam and transpo depth

2. AASHTO Green Book

3. HCM

4. 6-minute solutions

Other manuals may be suggested, but don't spend too much money on books that will help you with only 1 or 2 questions in the exam.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
definitely need the CERM for the morning session, for the afternoon transportation you NEED to have:

Highway Capacity Manual (HCM)

AASHTO Green Book - Geometric Design of Highways and Streets

The first time i took the transportation session i did NOT have these books and I am sure i would have passed if i did have them. the second time around (passed), they were very helpful. there are a lot of questions that require you to look up tables, charts, etc in these references. I would also recommend getting the practice exams from NCEES, they helped me with studying and also as a reference during the test when i saw similar problems.

p.s. I have both the HCM and Green book and I am looking to sell them. regardless of whether or not you want them from me, you should get those if you're taking the transportation session.

definitely need the CERM for the morning session, for the afternoon transportation you NEED to have:

Highway Capacity Manual (HCM)

AASHTO Green Book - Geometric Design of Highways and Streets

The first time i took the transportation session i did NOT have these books and I am sure i would have passed if i did have them. the second time around (passed), they were very helpful. there are a lot of questions that require you to look up tables, charts, etc in these references. I would also recommend getting the practice exams from NCEES, they helped me with studying and also as a reference during the test when i saw similar problems.

p.s. I have both the HCM and Green book and I am looking to sell them. regardless of whether or not you want them from me, you should get those if you're taking the transportation session.

This is my second time taking the exam but I have increased my arsenal of material since the first time ;) The first time all I had was the CERM, six minute trans, necessary manuals, NCEES practice problems. Although that should be enough, I couldn't decipher through all those problems during the exam with my references. I got two key books which have been so helpful in my studying for the second time. The All in One PE Guide by Gosmani. This book is so small in comparison to the CERM but it's like the cliff notes for the CERM. So easy to read and understand vs. a CERM which seems like a dictionary. Next is the Traffic and Highway Engineering book by Garber and Hoel. This is such a fantastic book especially for Trans. Depth. At first I didn't think much of it, but later in my studying I realized, everything was in this book, tables, and all. The examples are straight forward and easy to follow as well. Too me, you can never have too much material. Oh, and the Chelapti Trans. was helpful in getting my Geomtrics better but I don't refer to it as much as the Nicholas and Gaber and All in One Book. I feel like I rarely even touch the CERM now unless I know I've done an example in it or for certain tables. First choice reference is definitely the All in one from Goswami no doubt. Anyone care to agree ;)

Back