PE Test (AM morning section)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chess5329

Reaction score
Was the CERM or All in One Reference books enough for the morning section of the test?

Thanks for any input.

Personally I used the All in One maybe 70% on the morning section and the CERM for the rest. I used the CERM more than I expected in the PM section.

My advice is to get both and use the All in One primarily on the AM with the CERM as backup. Thankfully the all in one isn't so expensive. My other two cents is that if you have even a small hunch you might need a book, buy or borrow it for your studying. Good luck!

Unlike many folks here, I found CERM to be a better test referrence than All In One. As my study routine developed, CERM was my go to book. During the exam, I found several "look up" answers in CERM...and though I took both books, I never used All In One during the test.

To each his/her own on this one.

Tray & bwr,

Have you both passed the 8 hrs. test?...I used both books during this last October test but, just in a few questions. I really struggle to find information (not much time to go back and fort with the CERM), besides I think due I don't have a strong background in most of civil concepts, I need to better understand areas as water & construction, these were my weak points on my diagnostic report. If I really get well these areas I think I wouldn't be lost with the tricky questions.

Any advice in how to better used any of these books it will be really appreciated!!

Thanks

Chess--

I just passed this past October's exam and I took the Civil Water Resources test. I started off studying with solely the CERM and I just felt overwhelmed especially on some of my weak areas and the information in the book. I also felt after taking a sample exam that I still didn't have structural and construction down. After reading some posts and suggestions I grabbed Goswami's All in one. I went through in depth on all of my weak chapters and did all of the sample problems. I noticed a large improvement in my sample exam scores and had really good luck looking up similar problems in All in One.

After that I ended up going through all of the sample problems in All in One. From that point on I just did as many sample exam problems and tests I could find. I also tabbed each book on which covered a certain problem type better just in case I hit one on test day.

Hope this helps!

I passed last the 8 hr last April and mainly used the CERM but I didn't really care for the style. I found a copy of another book ( http://www.amazon.com/Civil-Engineering-Formulas-Tyler-Hicks/dp/0071614699/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325368410&sr=8-1 ) and really liked. I was quite critical of the CERM on the forums a few months back and people thought I was crazy. The formulas book was much better for water equations in my opinion. It's not nearly as thorough as the CERM when it comes to all of the topics, but for the basics it's great. Check the link, I think they still allow you to look inside the book for example pages.

Edit: I also found the 6 minute solutions problems to be more helpful than the cerm practice problems

Last edited by a moderator:
I really will take in consideration your comments guys!!!!

Thanks for your input and fast response.

Was the CERM or All in One Reference books enough for the morning section of the test?

Thanks for any input.
chess, not sure why you started this thread in the Results sub-forum but, to answer your question, yes - either the CERM or A-I-1 is enough to pass the Civil AM breadth. If you only use one, use the CERM. Good luck.

Back