PE Structural Depth "Cheat Sheet"?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anyone do the NCEES Practice Exam? Those questions in the practice exam for both AM and PM, are those sort of questions going to be asked on the exam day?

For the most part, yes. The word and engineering judgement problems weren't as easy on the exam in October, but I thought the design problems were comparable. One thing to keep an eye on while doing practice problems is the "gotchas". I remember the 2011 NCEES practice exam had a question about seismic design category and lateral force. The problem gave dead, live, snow, etc loads. Because it was seismic design category A, you only consider the dead load when you calculate the seismic lateral force. Structural engineers who work in seismic areas may already be familiar with this clause but I wasn't until I saw the practice problem. So remember to read the footnotes that typically don't apply because on the exam it probably will.

Okay thanks, that's good to know. I have 16 days left till the exam, and I just went through the practice NCEES exam, and did like 80% morning and 90% afternoon, in the allotted 4 hours for AM and 4 hours for PM. I'm going to keep working on practice problems more and more, but feel a little bit more comfortable and ready for this test.

So then with 16 days left till the exam. Any suggestions or whatever you have for the day of the exam. Not like what to do during the exam but how to stay calm and focused for when you are taking the exam. I took the day before off of work to just relax. Any other tips?

Would you say the Lindeburg Practice Problems where worth it, at least for the structure PM portion. I did a practice NCEES exam, other practice problems and the six minute solution problems. I'm starting to get burned out honestly, so...yea

The six minute solution structural problems are harder than what you will see on the structural pm, but they are good practice conceptually bc you could see pieces of them as exam questions.

Would you say the Lindeburg Practice Problems where worth it, at least for the structure PM portion. I did a practice NCEES exam, other practice problems and the six minute solution problems. I'm starting to get burned out honestly, so...yea
Lindeburg practice problems were extremely helpful to me, in fact that's all I used to study. Your mileage may vary.

I was doing the six minute problems and came across a bunch of masonry and shear wall questions. Do any of you guys know of a good reference to study from. That shows examples and explanations? I'm a bridge engineer so I don't design with masonry or design shear walls.

Latest posts

Back