PE Reference materials to take to exam for Illinois PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PE Books

Reaction score
Are Schaum's outlines allowed in the exam room? How about Camara's book?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are Schaum's outlines allowed in the exam room? How about Camara's book?
The EPRM is allowed
Its solution manual is not.
Better check with your state.

AS far as I can tell, there is no prohibition against the solution manual (if it exists) or Schauwms in California, unless the law has changed in the past couple years. Well, read and interpret the below for yourself. http://www.pels.ca.gov/4-11_pe_pls_examinee_instructions.pdf

REFERENCE MATERIALS - There are two types of documents that apply: professionally, published reference materials that are bound by staples and reference materials that are manually or hand stapled. The published reference materials that are securely fastened in their covers by their staples are allowed. Manually or hand stapled documents that are NOT securely fastened in their covers are NOT allowed. “Post-Its” will be permitted as book tabs only (must be attached prior to entering the testing area). You are permitted to bring as many reference materials into the testing area as one trip will permit. Fire Codes require that all aisle ways be kept clear.All reference materials (i.e. including all forms of notes) must be bound and remain bound during the exam. Bound refers to material permanently bound by stitching or glue and materials fastened securely in its cover by fasteners which penetrate all papers (i.e. ring binders, spiral binders, plastic snap binders, brads, or screw posts). Published reference materials entitled, “120 Solved Surveying Problems” for the California Special Civil Engineers Examination (CSSP) and “Civil Surveying Samples Examinations” for the California Special Engineering Surveying Examination (CSSE2) will be allowed.

Items strictly prohibited in the exam area: hand stapled materials, blank writing tablets or tablets containing blank pages, unbound tablets, unbound notes, slide charts and/or wheel charts (hand-held cardboard or plastic calculating devices with rotating or sliding pieces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, we were talking about Illiniois specifically.

Here is all they say with respect to reference materials

References for Principles and Practice of Engineering Examination:
-Examinees may use any number of texts during the examination. No exchange of reference material will be permitted during any examination session. Examinees may choose to change some of their reference books between the morning and afternoon sessions.

-All exams are open book. PE Civil must bring their own copies of the applicable design standards.

-All reference books must be printed in the English language.

-Books must be copyrighted and formally bound by the publisher.

-The NCEES Transportation Design Standards and Structural Design Standards are referenced in the Civil examination. Examination problems, which reference a standard of practice, are scored based on these lists. To ensure that you have the most current copy available, you may obtain a copy from the NCEES Web site at www.ncees.org.

-The codes and standards used on the PE examinations are identified in the NCEES examination specifications, such as the 2005 edition of the National Electrical Code (NEC) applies to any code-related questions contained in the Electrical discipline examination.

Reference manuals published by Professional Publications, Inc., and Great Lakes Press, Inc., (which includes reference manuals by Michael Lindeburg, Merle Potter and other authors) are permitted. However, the accompanying solution manuals are not permitted.

-Examples of books not approved include: Hicks Handbook, FAN Engineering, NCEES Study Guides, solution manuals (which includes the solution manuals by Michael Lindeburg, Merle Potter, and other authors published by Professional Publications, Inc., and Great Lakes Press, Inc.) and any other books purported to be helpful in preparation for professional engineering examinations. The NCEES Fundamentals of Engineering Reference Handbook will not be allowed in the examination.
If in doubt of one of your refrences, you can always ask a proctor before the exam begins. Although, they may not be aware of the newest rules. I brought the full document with the important refrence parts highlighted incase my EERM came into question.

Oh, okay. I didn't catch the Illinois in the title.

Lesson: Don't take the PE in Illinois, this appears to be the only state with such restrictions. I really like the one about not having "any other books purported to be helpful in preparation for professional engineering examinations."

illinois may have restrictions on what you can't bring into the exam but their requirements for getting licensed aren't huge. Just need 4yrs experience under PE. They don't require 5 references like other states.

Michigan PE (Electrical): What materials are allowed / not allowed in Exam romm? Any restrictions?

Back