PE PREPARATION

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Annie,

Thanks.

I tried responding yesterday but got a message that your inbox is full. I worked at a Waste to Energy facility and picked up some experience dealing with the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Codes from a maintenance / repair perspective. I didn't review or prepare for any questions that dealt with the codes but I think the book below may help with the T&F depth.

Title: The ASME Code Simplified: Power Boilers

ISBN-10: 0070116369

Prepare for all three sections (MD, HVAC, T&F) because I had to do that to pass the second time.

Study SMART so we can see your name listed for PASSing the Oct'07 PE exam.

:thumbs:

Thanks for letting me know about my Inbox. I had no idea and thanks for your advice. I will try to do that.

Hi Annie,Thanks.

I tried responding yesterday but got a message that your inbox is full. I worked at a Waste to Energy facility and picked up some experience dealing with the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Codes from a maintenance / repair perspective. I didn't review or prepare for any questions that dealt with the codes but I think the book below may help with the T&F depth.

Title: The ASME Code Simplified: Power Boilers

ISBN-10: 0070116369

Prepare for all three sections (MD, HVAC, T&F) because I had to do that to pass the second time.

Study SMART so we can see your name listed for PASSing the Oct'07 PE exam.

:thumbs:

anybody have experience with these references??

Mechanical Engineering in a Flash: Rapid Review of Key Topics for the Mechanical Pe Exam - James Kamm

Mechanical Engineering: Sample Exam (PE Exam Preparation) - Jerry Hamelink

anybody have experience with these references??
Mechanical Engineering in a Flash: Rapid Review of Key Topics for the Mechanical Pe Exam - James Kamm

Mechanical Engineering: Sample Exam (PE Exam Preparation) - Jerry Hamelink
I mixed up the flash cards and used them during lunch time while preparing for the PE.

They do have a lot of non-quantitative / theoretical info you will use while doing problems.

I couldn't get the sample exam but the PE Exam Preparation book had some good problems with clear solutions. I used it along with MERM and Potter.

Annie listed "Quick Reference for the Mechanical Engineering PE Exam, 4th Edition, Michael R. Lindeburg, PE, 2002, 113 pp., paperback" as a reference. Are there any reviews or opinions concerning this text?

I'd add your Thermodynamics book from school -- they have information & solutions for common Brayton, Rankin, & power plant problems. The book is also a good reference for technical questions that could be on the exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
After prepping for about a month now, now sure I'll be ready for Oct 2008 exam. Have been out of school a looong time now and most of this is, at the best, very rusty. Any advice on determining when you are "ready" to take the exam? I figured I would heed the advice given in other posts---work problems. Am up to forced convection heat exchange right now. Advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

There's no real 'ready.' Just keep studying and working problems.

You decided what area to take in the afternoon?

I have a question: This being the 19th of August, do I have time to study and prepare for the October exam if I start now? I do not consider myself rusty, although it has been 20 years since my FE exam and 10 since getting my MS.

I second what sschellhase mentioned. I too took the MD depth in April. In the vein of becoming familiar with MERM, put tabs in the book to help you quickly find pertinent information. The test isn't so much difficult, but moreso a speed test. The faster you can find a formula or piece of data, the better. I probably have about 100 tabs in my MERM. I tabbed the sections along the right side and specific pertinent info within that section along the top. The rationalle was to open the book to a specific section (based on the tabs on the right), and then find the content in that section based on the tabs at the top. It worked well. As you do problems, you will figure out what needs to be tabbed.
Work lots of problems.
Good suggestion Shaggy,

Could you please email me some pictures of the tabbed MERM? I wonder if you sell the ur MERM...

Back