PE Notes and References

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good feedback on EET. I took EET with the water depth. I feel their water depth review is what made the difference for me.

I really enjoyed the water guy. After his AM review, I remember thinking where was this guy when I was in school!! Overall, I truly enjoyed studying for the PE. I touched on topics I haven't seen since school and now feel like a much more complete engineer.

I definitely recommend EET. I remember at least two or three class sessions that I had where I had a "light bulb" moment and was like **** this class was worth the price. The depth notebook never left my desk during the exam

I'm not sure how it stacks up against EET, but I found School of PE to be very valuable as well, especially for Construction.  There wasn't a single Construction PM problem that wasn't similar to something that I saw in my School of PE notes, which was a pleasant surprise after a few curve balls in the AM.

I'm not sure how it stacks up against EET, but I found School of PE to be very valuable as well, especially for Construction.  There wasn't a single Construction PM problem that wasn't similar to something that I saw in my School of PE notes, which was a pleasant surprise after a few curve balls in the AM.
I think School of PE needs to beef up their temporary structures (other than formwork) for the Construction depth. There were two questions in the PM which weren't covered very well in the notes; one question was similar but wasn't actually discussed during the lectures. If anything, the notes were comprehensive but need more lecture hours to properly cover everything. They were also lacking on NDS wood design (SoPE only had a fastner example). Granted, I didn't find much construction depth NDS wood sample questions during my studying.

Will find out Monday or Tuesday if SoPE was worth the investment  :pcs:

They were also lacking on NDS wood design (SoPE only had a fastner example). Granted, I didn't find much construction depth NDS wood sample questions during my studying.
I get the feeling that the course instructors (all of them, School of PE, Testmasters, EET and the rest) are as in the dark as the test takers as to how the NDS should best be addressed.  Lumber is used so much in temporary structures and subsurface investigations that the entire NDS is fair game, but it's unclear how much structural knowledge is required to be a "minimally competent" Construction Engineer.  I'm really hoping that I passed at this point so I don't have to stumble aimlessly through that manual ever again.

For what it's worth, the best temporary structures problems I found were in the Six Minute Solutions problems for Construction.  Most of those problems use methods found in the ACI SP-4, though, and don't touch the NDS.

I get the feeling that the course instructors (all of them, School of PE, Testmasters, EET and the rest) are as in the dark as the test takers as to how the NDS should best be addressed.  Lumber is used so much in temporary structures and subsurface investigations that the entire NDS is fair game, but it's unclear how much structural knowledge is required to be a "minimally competent" Construction Engineer.  I'm really hoping that I passed at this point so I don't have to stumble aimlessly through that manual ever again.

For what it's worth, the best temporary structures problems I found were in the Six Minute Solutions problems for Construction.  Most of those problems use methods found in the ACI SP-4, though, and don't touch the NDS.
I would agree that most example problems I ran into could be solved with sp-4. It's an expensive but necessary book.  You have to understand how to read the tables. I think a lot of issues people have with the PE exam are due to them either not having the proper references or not understanding their references.  

Back