PE exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoosier2009

Reaction score
I apologize for posting this question under the exam results topic but i need a suggestion from the experienced people who have taken the test. I was just about to to buy the shigley's book but i see that there are two different versions and by different authors.

1). Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design (Mcgraw-Hill Series in Mechanical Engineering) [Hardcover]

Richard Budynas (Author), Keith Nisbett (Author)

2). Mechancal Engineering Design [import] [Hardcover]

Shigley (Author)

Which one of these two books is recommended. What is the difference between these books. I would really appreciate the suggestions. Good luck for the results.

Thanks

I apologize for posting this question under the exam results topic but i need a suggestion from the experienced people who have taken the test. I was just about to to buy the shigley's book but i see that there are two different versions and by different authors.1). Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design (Mcgraw-Hill Series in Mechanical Engineering) [Hardcover]

Shigley (Author)

Which one of these two books is recommended. What is the difference between these books. I would really appreciate the suggestions. Good luck for the results.

Thanks

Could somebody please help me out here.

I apologize for posting this question under the exam results topic but i need a suggestion from the experienced people who have taken the test. I was just about to to buy the shigley's book but i see that there are two different versions and by different authors.1). Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design (Mcgraw-Hill Series in Mechanical Engineering) [Hardcover]

Shigley (Author)

Thanks

What exam are you taking?

Shigley (Author)

Thanks

I will be taking PE mechanical. I plan on taking machine design for depth part.

Shigley (Author)

Thanks

I will be taking PE mechanical. I plan on taking machine design for depth part.
I took thermo/fluids, so I'm little help to you, sorry . I couldn't imagine you'd go very wrong either way. Good luck.

Hi,

I took MD in October 2010.

Option 1 is what I used for preparation and on the exam. That version of Shigley is in US units. It think option 2 may be in IS units.

Hope this helps.

Hi,I took MD in October 2010.

Option 1 is what I used for preparation and on the exam. That version of Shigley is in US units. It think option 2 may be in IS units.

Hope this helps.
So option 1 is only in US units whereas option 2 is in SI units. But the content in both books is one and the same?. How did option 1 work out for you? Good luck for your results. They should be out any time now.

Option 1 is mostly in US units, you will find a some examples in IS units. Option 1 is fine and complements very well with the MERM book. Shigles has more detail and good examples to practice as well.

Greetings.

I passed the ME October exam in took the MD afternoon part. I used the MERM and Marks' Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers.

I passed the MD module using only the MERM and Shigley (I'm 90% sure it was the second option). There is a lot more detailed info in the Shigley book that you will need that isn't covered in the MERM. This will become apparent when you start working on the sample and practice exams.

I passed the MD module using only the MERM and Shigley (I'm 90% sure it was the second option). There is a lot more detailed info in the Shigley book that you will need that isn't covered in the MERM. This will become apparent when you start working on the sample and practice exams.
From what I read from the other posts, one of the books is in SI units and the other one is in US units. Does it matter. Could you please double check what book you used. I am still battling between these two books. Wonder if both units are specified int he exam. And also does it matter if the book is a hard cover or paperback.

Thanks again for your time.

Dont get the SI unit one, you'll be super screwed. I had that one and ended up borrowing my friend's US version for the exam.

Back