PE Exam April 2011, how did you feel

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took Civil/Water.
I think the exam is so easy. I prepared for 3 months. I studied in office during lunch breaks (40 minutes/day) in the past three months. I have a strong background in Civil. I have a BS degree in Civil Engineering and dual MS degrees in Transportation Engineering and Environmental Chemistry. I have been working as a Hydro/GIS engineer for seven years.

In the morning session, I am confident about 39 out of 40.

In the afternoon session, I am confident about 37 out of 40.

Overall I think I should get 95%-100% of the questions.

Before the exam, I did the 2011 NCEES sample book. I got 78 out of 80 questions.

The real exam is so close to the 2011 NCEES sample book. Everybody should buy this book!

Took Civil/Water-ENV. Did anyone else take that depth? If so, how did you feel about it? Looks like I'm the first person to write about it here. I took the Oct exam and I thought the April exam was overall a better exam in terms of typical questions asked. I thought the morning was much easier than Oct but the afternoon was harder. There were some questions in the afternoon that I knew how to do but just couldn’t get. So frustrating. I was unsure on 12 questions in the morning and 13-15 in the afternoon. I probably got some of those correct but who knows how many. I wish I got at least 3-4 questions more correct but I know I did better overall than last time.
I know second time takers have a very low pass rate so here’s hoping I beat the odds. I didn’t take half of the test material in school and do very little of the Water/ENV in my job so this test was very challenging for me. I donated 10 months out of the last year for this exam and I’m honestly burnt out. If I don’t pass….AGAIN….. I’m going to wait until next April. NCEES is very bi-polar on what they like to ask and the level of difficultly. :brickwall:
Your post is pretty rude actually to all those people that said they didn't feel like they did well. I am not surprised you are from Texas with that attitude.
I feel the same way. You are posting to brag not to help. Next time keep this info to yourself as it helps no one on this forum other than know that you had two hours of sleep before the exam. Does not help anyone at all.

I took Civil/Water.
I think the exam is so easy. I prepared for 3 months. I studied in office during lunch breaks (40 minutes/day) in the past three months. I have a strong background in Civil. I have a BS degree in Civil Engineering and dual MS degrees in Transportation Engineering and Environmental Chemistry. I have been working as a Hydro/GIS engineer for seven years.

Before the exam, I did the 2011 NCEES sample book. I got 78 out of 80 questions.

The real exam is so close to the 2011 NCEES sample book. Everybody should buy this book!

Took Civil/Water-ENV. Did anyone else take that depth? If so, how did you feel about it? Looks like I'm the first person to write about it here. I took the Oct exam and I thought the April exam was overall a better exam in terms of typical questions asked. I thought the morning was much easier than Oct but the afternoon was harder. There were some questions in the afternoon that I knew how to do but just couldn’t get. So frustrating. I was unsure on 12 questions in the morning and 13-15 in the afternoon. I probably got some of those correct but who knows how many. I wish I got at least 3-4 questions more correct but I know I did better overall than last time.
I know second time takers have a very low pass rate so here’s hoping I beat the odds. I didn’t take half of the test material in school and do very little of the Water/ENV in my job so this test was very challenging for me. I donated 10 months out of the last year for this exam and I’m honestly burnt out. If I don’t pass….AGAIN….. I’m going to wait until next April. NCEES is very bi-polar on what they like to ask and the level of difficultly. :brickwall:
Your post is pretty rude actually to all those people that said they didn't feel like they did well. I am not surprised you are from Texas with that attitude.
I feel the same way. You are posting to brag not to help. Next time keep this info to yourself as it helps no one on this forum other than know that you had two hours of sleep before the exam. Does not help anyone at all.
This thread is about "how you feel about this April exam". My post was intended to tell people how I feel about this April exam, not to help your PE exam. If everybody feels bad about this exam, you will feel much more comfortable about yourself.

We joke around in the office here that the people who think they aced the exam usually end up failing, and the people who think they failed usually end up passing. So far, it's been oddly pretty accurate. The first time I took it I thought I missed at most 2 questions, I was positive I got almost a perfect score...and then ended up failing. There are a lot of trick questions and easy mistakes to be made, and I noticed when I went into the exam a lot less confident I would noticed those things a lot easier than I did when I went in thinking the stuff was easy!

We joke around in the office here that the people who think they aced the exam usually end up failing, and the people who think they failed usually end up passing. So far, it's been oddly pretty accurate. The first time I took it I thought I missed at most 2 questions, I was positive I got almost a perfect score...and then ended up failing. There are a lot of trick questions and easy mistakes to be made, and I noticed when I went into the exam a lot less confident I would noticed those things a lot easier than I did when I went in thinking the stuff was easy!
I will let you know how it goes. I will come back in two months.

I took Civil/Water.

Why you hatin' on Texas? We're not all egotistical jerks.

I took Civil/Water.

This thread is about "how you feel about this April exam". My post was intended to tell people how I feel about this April exam, not to help your PE exam. If everybody feels bad about this exam, you will feel much more comfortable about yourself.
You could have easily stated that you felt like you did well without sounding like such a jerk.

This is more of a statement about your personality than about how you felt about the exam.

There are two kinds of people who do well at things: the ones that brag and act like know-it-alls (ie the people everyone hate) and the ones that do well but are humble and just state the facts without bragging (ie the people that you can respect for their achievements).

Last edited by a moderator:
I took Civil/Water.

You could have easily stated that you felt like you did well without sounding like such a jerk.

This is more of a statement about your personality than about how you felt about the exam.

There are two kinds of people who do well at things: the ones that brag and act like know-it-alls (ie the people everyone hate) and the ones that do well but are humble and just state the facts without bragging (ie the people that you can respect for their achievements).
How did I do? Its a good question. This is my third try. On the first test I thought I did great. I was very wrong. On the second try, after study 10 solid months, I was thinking that I had a good chance. On my April try, I studied hard and took School of PE. But as more time goes, as less confident I am. I need the positive result more than ever. Few days ago I was laid-off due to bad economy. And the three job postings with my skills required PE license. I applied for these jobs, but chances to get the job are slim. I am feeling frustrated, and if wouldn't pass it this time, big chance to loose confidence in myself. :shakehead:

Sorry to hear about the layoff. We'll keep our fingers crossed for a positive result for you, and really for everyone.

I passed PE exam. I got 95.

I will let you know how it goes. I will come back in two months.

Passed! whoo hoo!

now back to doing exactly the same thing i was doing before recieving the news....

now that I know that I passed, I can honestly say I feel pretty good about it. When I walked out of the exam, I wasn't sure what to think. I knew that I did well on the AM section, but thought I tanked the PM. I'm assuming that I guessed wisely on the PM section.

Passed - just checked the ncees portal. Took about all I had to click on the notification tab.

This forum has been a huge part of my success. Thanks to all.

Passed - just checked the ncees portal. Took about all I had to click on the notification tab.
This forum has been a huge part of my success. Thanks to all.
What the h*ll, Where are you guys from? I live in California and I haven't received any emails. Does that mean that I'll be a recipient of diagnostic sheet???

This is driving me crazy! I wish MN would switch to email instead of snail mail. To make matters worse, there are multiple examinees that have received results via snail mail already! :vent:

Back