PE Certificate Framed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife loves Harry Potter and really likes the idea of framing my NCEES pencil with my certificate and suggested that I have this written beside my pencil, "The pencil chooses the professional engineer." Idk....maybe a bit much or tacky? What do you think?
SciFi nerd here, and I say do it! Either that or "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good". ;)

Pred that's awesome!  My certificate finally came last week.  The day my certificate came my son got it and showed it to Mrs. DH.  They were planning to secretly frame it and surprise me with it but my son couldn't wait.  He gave it to me as a surprise when I got home from work.  He was so excited he could barely contain himself and was yelling, "daddy doesn't have to study anymore yay!!!."  My wife loves Harry Potter and really likes the idea of framing my NCEES pencil with my certificate and suggested that I have this written beside my pencil, "The pencil chooses the professional engineer."  Idk....maybe a bit much or tacky?  What do you think? 
Matt's a dipshit. I love the saying. If you don't use it I may

Pred that's awesome! My certificate finally came last week. The day my certificate came my son got it and showed it to Mrs. DH. They were planning to secretly frame it and surprise me with it but my son couldn't wait. He gave it to me as a surprise when I got home from work. He was so excited he could barely contain himself and was yelling, "daddy doesn't have to study anymore yay!!!." My wife loves Harry Potter and really likes the idea of framing my NCEES pencil with my certificate and suggested that I have this written beside my pencil, "The pencil chooses the professional engineer." Idk....maybe a bit much or tacky? What do you think?
Matt's a dipshit. I love the saying. If you don't use it I may
Whatever Mike.

Dan, do it and see how you like it. If you don't like it, change it.

Pred that's awesome! My certificate finally came last week. The day my certificate came my son got it and showed it to Mrs. DH. They were planning to secretly frame it and surprise me with it but my son couldn't wait. He gave it to me as a surprise when I got home from work. He was so excited he could barely contain himself and was yelling, "daddy doesn't have to study anymore yay!!!." My wife loves Harry Potter and really likes the idea of framing my NCEES pencil with my certificate and suggested that I have this written beside my pencil, "The pencil chooses the professional engineer." Idk....maybe a bit much or tacky? What do you think?

I really like the quote. If you think that someone else might not get it and it's a thing between you, your wife, and boy; have it carved into the back of the frame. You know it's there, your wife and boy know its there and every time you look at it, you'll think of it.

It's a good conversation piece if anyone ever notices it.

The idea is similar to my wife having a message etched on the inside of my ring. it's between us, and very cool.

My 7 year old was very involved with me studying. He was very supportive and made a huge poster board for me when I returned home from the exam in April.

When I got the certificate from the State in May, I placed it on my desk in the basement where I did all the studying. One day in July he heard me talking to my wife about getting a nice picture frame and "framing it"

Without realizing what he was doing he came back up stairs with the certificate, with a hand cut brown paper border stapled to it with at least 30 different staples.

He handed it to me and said " because I love you"

In a way it looks ridiculous, but in some ways it looks better than anything I could have bought. I have left it on the desk, very proud for all to see. I will take a picture and post it.

The staple holes would make me wince a little but, aside from that, it sounds like a nice frame! :)

DHExhibit1_zpsd4516b60.jpg

DSCN0558_zps5f51a11e.jpg

That is awesome, DH! If you're ever in/around the Charlotte area, you'll have to join Ble and I for a beer in your honor!

Nice DH...very nice......how much it cost you? Did you take the battery out from the calculator? :)

A lot you NC folks...Raleigh is my old stumping ground.....I am going back in Oct for wedding

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys.

Nice DH...very nice......how much it cost you? Did you take the battery out from the calculator? :)

A lot you NC folks...Raleigh is my old stumping ground.....I am going back in Oct for wedding
Yes I took the battery out. There is a mom and pop type frame shop in town that I went to. It costs me about $160 out the door to have this framed. The lady that did it was very pleased at how well it turned out. I had a few other things framed while I was there and they turned out great as well. She was old school and thought the calculator and the quote would look ridiculous. She told me when I picked it up that she was glad that I stuck to my guns and insist on having it done. In the end it turned out way better than she expected. A special thanks goes out to the "Worley Exhibit" and "Cupojoe PE" because I used their pictures as an example to give to the frame shop I went to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan, I think you should start your own thread. Many people may not see your masterpiece buried down here at post #28.

Back