Pavement Design (thickness)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calixico

Reaction score
Design a asphalt concrete pavement over granular base for a subgrade modulus of 6000 psi and 1,000,000 ESAL.

The Cerm solution specified to use the Concrete graph to solve. I am not seeing how they solve and get a 8.5 inches base.. Enterng 1 million ESAL on the horizontal line and 6000 psi on the vertical line, I came up with a depth o 9.5 inches. Cerm come up with 8.5. How?

Spyderman,

I came out with 8.5. I used figure 75.14(bottom right on page 75-21 of CERM). I used 10^6=1 million ESALS, and 6 x10^3 psi for the Modulus. It intersects at about 8.5 inches. Try it again. PM me later, how's the studying going. Good luck

Thank you Max..I was really tire at that point.... :smileyballs:

Still moving along. I still have Structures, Construction and Geo left to review, and you?

Sorry for the late reply, I've went through most of the subjects and returning back to Trans. I tried to tab most of my material. Do you have the NCEES books, 2000 and 2008. I heard those books are worth gold in the exam. I have them both too and tabbed them both well. I hope those books with the CERM tabbed, also went the the 6 min. solutions trans. and Lindeburg practice problems...only construction....and trans. section of that big book. I actually like that book because it helps me get familiar with the CERM. But other than that I've heard the NCEES books are the main books to study along with the CERM and HCM, Roadside, MUTCD etc.

Back