Passing Percent

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navyasw02

Reaction score
I just looked and CA just posted the passing percentage for the April PE Mechanical exam - a meager 54.something%. Just out of curiosity, I looked back at some previous years and it looks lower than the average. I come on this board and see a far higher number of people reporting that they passed, especially on the first try. So for the 45% of test takers who take the exam, what goes wrong? Are they just bad test takers? Bad day? Overconfident and didnt study enough or just flat out tried to wing it? Just plain dumb? Is there a survey or some data out there that shows more granularity regarding the people who fail?

I just looked and CA just posted the passing percentage for the April PE Mechanical exam - a meager 54.something%. Just out of curiosity, I looked back at some previous years and it looks lower than the average. I come on this board and see a far higher number of people reporting that they passed, especially on the first try. So for the 45% of test takers who take the exam, what goes wrong? Are they just bad test takers? Bad day? Overconfident and didnt study enough or just flat out tried to wing it? Just plain dumb? Is there a survey or some data out there that shows more granularity regarding the people who fail?
Many of the above are true.

But not dumb. IMO you have to be very smart even to qualify to take the test.

The answer to your question is that the people who pass are more likely to post their results on the site. Most people who failed are not going to shout it out to the world. Therefore, you get the impression that the group of people who use this site has a much higher pass rate than the rest of CA. With that being said, I would venture to guess that the group who uses this site would have a slightly higher pass rate because these people care more and are willing to ask for help. If people are taking time to use this site and ask for help, they are most likely putting more time in to study. I for one received alot of great advice on this site that I feel gave me an edge for the exam.

I dont think you really have to be smart to qualify for the exam, just meet certain requirements. I've known a few guys who have graduated from engineering programs (barely) who could qualify for the exam, but I know for sure they would not pass. Every field has individuals who may not be "dumb" in the strictest sense of the word, but certainly "below average" when compared to their peers. Certainly I dont think that people who have failed the exam are dumb, but I think that there may be some folks in the group of people who fail who simply dont have a chance to start with.

I dont think you really have to be smart to qualify for the exam, just meet certain requirements. I've known a few guys who have graduated from engineering programs (barely) who could qualify for the exam, but I know for sure they would not pass. Every field has individuals who may not be "dumb" in the strictest sense of the word, but certainly "below average" when compared to their peers. Certainly I dont think that people who have failed the exam are dumb, but I think that there may be some folks in the group of people who fail who simply dont have a chance to start with.
Generally, you need to pass the EIT, have an engineering degree, work as an engineer, and obtain references to take the exam.

I don't know where you work or went to school, but I don't know many "dumb" people who can pass engineering school and work as an engineer.

Frankly, the test is possible to pass by taking review courses, putting in the time, or in some cases just taking it multiple times. I wouldn't have a whole lot of confidence in somebody's qualifications if all I knew is they took the test. I'm more impressed with the degree, experience, and references.

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally, you need to pass the EIT, have an engineering degree, work as an engineer, and obtain references to take the exam.
I don't know where you work or went too school, but I don't know many "dumb" people who can pass engineering school and work as an engineer.

Frankly, the test is possible to pass by taking review courses, putting in the time, or in some cases just taking it multiple times. I wouldn't have a whole lot of confidene in somebody's qualifications if all I knew is they took the test. I'm more impressed with the degree, experience, and references.
I can see some difficulty in obtaining the references, but the EIT and having an engineering degree aren't exactly things that would separate the wheat from the chaff. What do you call the valedictorian and the anchor man after the graduation ceremony? Graduate. I've known a lot of people who have squeaked by and passed the EIT as well as engineering school. All I'm saying is that there's some people out there in every profession who just aren't bright enough to pass something like the PE, the Bar, the Med Boards, or whatever else who have just managed to squeak by the system. Think of it like a quality control inspection. If you can catch 99.99% of the defective parts, and if you make enough parts there's going to be some that slip through the cracks.

and having an engineering degree aren't exactly things that would separate the wheat from the chaff.
Neither is the PE exam. You think this test is that hard? This is some major test of intelligence beyond an engineering curriculum?? This is a multiple choice test that you need around 70% to pass. People squeak by this too. I know people that pass multiple PE exams in different disciplines just by boning up on review books and taking a review course or two. I would be far more willing to trust someone with an actual degree and work experience. THis test is the least significant credential.

BTW - to compare the present PE exam to the Bar or the Med boards is just silly. I think the Bar exam is a two or three day exam.

But even with those exams, the educational credentials and experience are far more important to me than the test.

You see people on this board (forum) posting passing results because the people on EB are smarter than the engineering PE candidates on other less prestigious forums ( I won't mention the (3) initials)..

Stick w/ EB and you too will be a minimally competent engineer (aka PE).

Ha - Friday's are great!!

and having an engineering degree aren't exactly things that would separate the wheat from the chaff.
Neither is the PE exam. You think this test is that hard? This is some major test of intelligence beyond an engineering curriculum?? This is a multiple choice test that you need around 70% to pass. People squeak by this too. I know people that pass multiple PE exams in different disciplines just by boning up on review books and taking a review course or two. I would be far more willing to trust someone with an actual degree and work experience. THis test is the least significant credential.
I haven't taken the test yet, but I think it will be harder than the FE, thus a finer filter for those who have squeaked through thus far. That leads me back to my original discussion point that maybe some of the people who contribute to the high fail percentage were some of the ones who made it through the cracks.

Why do you think the PE is the least significant credential? What would be the point in going through the whole process if it wasn't important? Personally, I think a license (maybe not in its current form) should be a requirement to be working as an engineer.

I haven't taken the test yet, but I think it will be harder than the FE, thus a finer filter for those who have squeaked through thus far. That leads me back to my original discussion point that maybe some of the people who contribute to the high fail percentage were some of the ones who made it through the cracks.
Why do you think the PE is the least significant credential? What would be the point in going through the whole process if it wasn't important? Personally, I think a license (maybe not in its current form) should be a requirement to be working as an engineer.
You misunderstand. Probably because I wasn't 100% clear,

I didn't mean the PE license is the least important credential. I mean that the exam is the least important part of the process.

To me, the most significant part of the process, the part that tells whether an engineer has the ability, skills, ethics and yes, brains to be licensed, is the work experience documented by other ethical PEs honestly attesting to the applicants qualifications. Closely followed by the degree.

I would never in a million years hire an engineer to do anythng simply by giving him or her a PE exam and seeing if they got 70%. But I have hired many engineers in exempt industry positions that did not have a license, based on their experience and education.

To me, the exam would be a lot more convincing if it tested something engineers are actually supposed to be able to do - like for us electricals give us some specifications and ask us to design an electronic control system, a simple radio reciever or logic circuit, or a distribution system. I don't know about you, but I have yet been asked to answer multiple choice questions at work.

As I understand the Bar exam, for example, there are MC, and short answer sections that show the lawyers know the laws, and can think enough to apply them, Then they have to write out briefs explaining case law - something they would actually have to do at work. At least that'smy understanding.

Let me just say one more thing. I'll agree that it's very rarely possible for someone without adequate intelligence and abiilty to squeak by in engineering school, and pass the FE (which isn't all that much easier than the PE and also has a low pass rate).

I guess it's also possible for that same individual to also get hired, work, and find enough unscrupulous PEs to sign off their experience.

So here we have this dummy sitting for the PE. IMO, very, very rare. Enough to be statistically insignificant. But there he is.

If we are relying on the PE exam as the final guardpost to keep this guy from stamping off plans for a suspension bridge, well, that's a frightening thought.

Let me just say one more thing. I'll agree that it's very rarely possible for someone without adequate intelligence and abiilty to squeak by in engineering school, and pass the FE (which isn't all that much easier than the PE and also has a low pass rate).
I guess it's also possible for that same individual to also get hired, work, and find enough unscrupulous PEs to sign off their experience.

So here we have this dummy sitting for the PE. IMO, very, very rare. Enough to be statistically insignificant. But there he is.

If we are relying on the PE exam as the final guardpost to keep this guy from stamping off plans for a suspension bridge, well, that's a frightening thought.
I agree with both your posts. I dont remember where I read it, but someone was talking about the PE worth and basically said it's great, but doesn't give some kid in their 20's the right to think they know more than someone with years of experience just because they passed a multiple choice test.

For some branches of engineering, isn't having your PE really important? I heard that's pretty much the case for civil, but less so for ME and EE's. For me, I work for the Navy so it's not required, but I want to have it for my own wellbeing. I'll probably never use it, but I want to have it for when I eventually end up getting out of the Navy.

For some branches of engineering, isn't having your PE really important? I heard that's pretty much the case for civil, but less so for ME and EE's. For me, I work for the Navy so it's not required, but I want to have it for my own wellbeing. I'll probably never use it, but I want to have it for when I eventually end up getting out of the Navy.
That's what I hear. Civils really need to have one. I don't know about MEs, but for EEs it depends where you work. I worked many years in aerospace/defense and most people didn't even know what a PE is. Same when I worked in semiconductors.

But seven years ago I got a government job and you have to have a PE to make any money at all. So I studied and took the test. I think for EEs it is more important if you are in the power or building industries. If you decide to get out of the Navy one place you might be looking is at the power/energy area. It is FULL of ex-Navy people. But a PE helps in that business. Plus, it is always a nice thing to have.

My cousin is ex-Navy, and he isn't even an engineer. But through his connections he got a job as an operator at a power plant. He retired as Chief after 20 years. So with his pension, and overtime he easily brings in 150K a year.

That's what I hear. Civils really need to have one. I don't know about MEs, but for EEs it depends where you work. I worked many years in aerospace/defense and most people didn't even know what a PE is. Same when I worked in semiconductors.

But seven years ago I got a government job and you have to have a PE to make any money at all. So I studied and took the test. I think for EEs it is more important if you are in the power or building industries. If you decide to get out of the Navy one place you might be looking is at the power/energy area. It is FULL of ex-Navy people. But a PE helps in that business. Plus, it is always a nice thing to have.

My cousin is ex-Navy, and he isn't even an engineer. But through his connections he got a job as an operator at a power plant. He retired as Chief after 20 years. So with his pension, and overtime he easily brings in 150K a year.
Power/energy is huge right now for the Navy with the whole "green ship" push and with the Navy spending a lot of money on next gen weapons that require a beefier electric plant. I've still got some time before I get out, but I'm certain those jobs will still exist. All that stuff has been "just around the corner" probably for the last 20 years.

To me, the most significant part of the process ... is the work experience documented by other ethical PEs honestly attesting to the applicants qualifications
Then we're in trouble because the easiest part to get is the experience. I don't know of anyone who's been kept away from the exam because they're unable to get experience or references documented... but I have met some engineers (with and without PE) that I wouldn't trust to design a one-hole burnout.

I agree wholeheartedly that PEness isn't a credential that stands on its own. What you've done with your PEness is far more important! And that's probably different than MDs because I expect *any* doctor is more than capable of taking care of me. I can't say the same for PEs.

^^^^

Then we are in huge trouble, and we might as well forget the license.

The whole discussion is whether you can be stupid and unqualified and sit for the PE exam. When I applied, people certified and stamped my reference that I was competent, and that they were in a position to verify my competence.

When I refer people, I certify that they are qualified. So if there are a bunch of PEs certifying people are competent when they aren't this needs to be investigagted.

Who do you know that signed a reference for an incompetent engineeer? You should report them. THey need their license revoked for filing a false document.

The test is sort of an afterthought as far as I'm concerned. Most new graduates could pass it. If I knew a person had managed to stay employed for 20 years, I grant that far more credence than merely passing that exam.

Also, to the main point of our discussion, since you state you know PEs that don't know jack, that sort of indicates that the exam doesn't really provide any safeguards either. This was the main bone of contention.

Since there seems to be some disparity, what do you guys think would be the ideal means of certifying an engineer besides the PE? Ideally, the EIT time would be your "apprenticeship" time, but maybe that's not what happens out in the real world. I dont know, I'm in a totally different environment so I could be way out in left field.

Since there seems to be some disparity, what do you guys think would be the ideal means of certifying an engineer besides the PE? Ideally, the EIT time would be your "apprenticeship" time, but maybe that's not what happens out in the real world. I dont know, I'm in a totally different environment so I could be way out in left field.
I think you and IlPadrino are actually in the same world. I think you both work for the Navy.

Plus I don't think he and I completely disagree. He is basically saying that none of it - education, experience, or exam, is particularly dispositive as far as predicting who knows their ass from a hole in the ground.

I'm not sure about Civil engineers. Frankly, I think the main reason the PE is important to civil engineers is because the stamp is often required in construction, and there needs to be accountablility for liability.

I will just say that for Electrical Engineers, as I wrote earlier, in my government job it is a requirement. But I regularly recieve solicitations from recruiters, I worked in exempt industries for years, and I sometimes read the advertisements. I would venture that over 90% of the employment ads for Electrical engineers do not mention a PE license, but they do ask for specific experience. They often ask for Masters Degrees. For entry level they look at GPAs and schools attended. You will almost never see an electrical engineering advertisement requiring an EIT or PE, except in very specific and limited industries. To me this shows that hiring managers who hire EEs in most industries couldn't care less about the Principles and Practice exam. We've done okay in technological advancement up to this point without universal PE licensure.

I think an engineer should have to work in a related field performing installation and maintenance for a period of time as part of the internship EIT process prior to qualifying to sit for the exam. But, that's a different topic.

I've worked with guys that had been CAD techs who did their time in an engineering office and filed the application, passed with 70% and now wield their PEness all over the place.

Yikes..

Back