Passed the PE Power Exam!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats danderson!!! I took and passed the Power exam as well and I agree it was difficult. I was a little surprised I passed as well.

Just happy to have it over with!!!

gEEk,

I used the following reference material for the exam:

Power System Analysis, Grainger/Stevenson -- Great resource for this exam.

Electric Machinery and Power System, Chapman -- Has all the fundamentals of power and motors

Handbook of Electric Power Calculations, Beaty -- Great reference for all kinds of power and lighting calcs.

EC&M's Electrical Calculations Handbook, Paschal -- Has some very useful equations, tables, and diagrams.

NEC, NFPA -- The handbook version was very useful for the exam.

NCEES Power Practice exam -- I spent most of my time working the problems in this book.

Complex Imaginary Practice exams -- They have a set of exams. Problems are much easier than the real exam but they review important information.

Electrical Machines, Drives and Power Systems, Wildi -- I didn't use this to study but was very handy for reference on the exam.

Misc. documents -- I had a binder full of miscellaneous information for specific topics that I thought might be on the exam.

Hope that helps.

gEEk,

I used the following reference material for the exam:

Power System Analysis, Grainger/Stevenson -- Great resource for this exam.

Electric Machinery and Power System, Chapman -- Has all the fundamentals of power and motors

Handbook of Electric Power Calculations, Beaty -- Great reference for all kinds of power and lighting calcs.

EC&M's Electrical Calculations Handbook, Paschal -- Has some very useful equations, tables, and diagrams.

NEC, NFPA -- The handbook version was very useful for the exam.

NCEES Power Practice exam -- I spent most of my time working the problems in this book.

Complex Imaginary Practice exams -- They have a set of exams. Problems are much easier than the real exam but they review important information.

Electrical Machines, Drives and Power Systems, Wildi -- I didn't use this to study but was very handy for reference on the exam.

Misc. documents -- I had a binder full of miscellaneous information for specific topics that I thought might be on the exam.

Hope that helps.
I did not have the same ref. material, but if I had to take it again I would use archian99's stuff. I was wishing I had the Wildi book BADLY. I did poorly on the drives problems due to a lack of good ref. material.

Can't comment on the Wildi book, but everyone on these boards raves about it. In its' absence I used Electric Machinery Fundamentals by Chapman, which is a decent substitute as I was able to find alot of useful formulas during the exam.

I had both, and I found for some of the more practical problems the Wildi book was better, and Chapman was better for the more theoretical problems.

Back