Passed, Pay Raise?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the same boat as you Aureliano, I have only told my family and a couple of friends outside of work.

Why you ask? Because I am pretty sure I will not get a raise or re-payment for any of my expenses for the exam. (About $2000, for exam, School of PE, and 2 hours of travel to and from Orlando for School of PE) But I'm sure to get a "title promotion" maybe from "Staff Engineer" to "Project Engineer", which would lead to an increased work load which I don’t think I could handle due to my current work load, say 45 - 55 hours per week.

But I will say this for anyone thinking of taking a study course, I was very pleased with the School of PE course. I’m not sure about the others and I am sure they are very good also, but I have 4 friends that took the course and passed the exam. (5 including myself). So I would say it was money well spent.

We Engineers need to get a backbone and demand promotions and raises.

I think that anyone who doesn't get a pay raise and job title promotion should not use their PE license/stamp/seal for the benefit of the employer. Employers need to get a backbone and charge more. This is a professional, liable, service.

Think about this:

A building needs to get built, the following are hypothetical per hour rates:

Architect: $100-200 - very responsible for the safety

Engineers: $75-150 - very responsible for the safety

Lawyers: $300-400 - no responsibility for the safety

Those "extravert" type people make more money. We should start charging the rates Lawyers do!

It's almost as if many firms are now taking advantage of the recession, by low-balling their employees. I am thankful to have a job, but don't use that as an excuse to not reward your employees when they deserve it.

In my opinion, the PE license gives you unlimited professional opportunities for your future. If you do not get a pay raise right now is ok but you can get much more in a year or two. I personally think, I will get a pay increase (My boss promised $10K) but we will discuss it in a week.

:mf_argue:

:pASSED2: :pASSED2: :pASSED2:

It's almost as if many firms are now taking advantage of the recession, by low-balling their employees. I am thankful to have a job, but don't use that as an excuse to not reward your employees when they deserve it.
I see this, and read about it, in just about every job category. "Just keep working and be thankful you have a job!" The super-rich are getting richer while cutting the pay of everyone else. It is partly a self-fulfilling prophecy!

To be honest, I don't even know how to ask for a raise. Exactly how it's done I don't know, it's like I'm supposed to feel guilty about it because of the current state of the economy.

I started my career late-2006, and the recession began around the end of 2007, so I have never been through the process of an annual review that was followed by a raise. When I left my last company, I was making less than what I had started with as an entry-level engineer due to the salary reductions. The only pay increase I eve saw was through moving to a different company.

I'm not expecting anything. I'm like a loyal dog that takes a beating and never gets it through his head that he should run off to a new owner...

on top of passing i was promoted to associate within the company last week and we have reviews coming up. i think i'm due. i'm going to push for some extra vacation time.

Out of curiousity those that received a raise from passing the PE, did your salary get bumped up to at least 60k? Mine didn't unfortunately, but at the same time we don't have alot of work going on right now but it's slowly turning around so I do feel lucky I did receive something for passing the PE though. Plus side from my job is my health benefits and other miscellaneous benefits are top notch.
The other question is what should a brand new PE be actually making in terms of salary? I always thought it should be at least 65k.
That depends on where you live. I made more then 65k without a PE. Now that I passed, I hope to get about 7-10k more
That's cool, what kind of Civil work do you do? Maybe that makes a difference since I'm in the consulting business doing public works.

I haven't spoke with my bosses yet but do expect a pay increase. We normally get our bonuses and pay raises (if given any) in the early summer, so I'm sure that's when I will find out. I know the hourly rates they charge for me will go way up now.

I also just pass my exam and i have total of 5 years of experience. I work for a small MEP firm(3 ppl full time and 2 ppl part time). Other than the Owner, who is a electrical PE, I will be the next PE in the company. I have 11% pay cut back in Feb, 2009. Since then I have not have a pay raise or anything, and I dont think I will get a raise just because I got my PE. However, my boss keep saying it's good to have another PE since some state require Mechanical and Electrical PE to seal the drawings. So should I ask for a raise since he plan to market me to get more job and have plan for me to seal drawings in the future? By the way, I make around 50K at this point. Thanks.

I also just pass my exam and i have total of 5 years of experience. I work for a small MEP firm(3 ppl full time and 2 ppl part time). Other than the Owner, who is a electrical PE, I will be the next PE in the company. I have 11% pay cut back in Feb, 2009. Since then I have not have a pay raise or anything, and I dont think I will get a raise just because I got my PE. However, my boss keep saying it's good to have another PE since some state require Mechanical and Electrical PE to seal the drawings. So should I ask for a raise since he plan to market me to get more job and have plan for me to seal drawings in the future? By the way, I make around 50K at this point. Thanks.
You would be the only mechanical PE?

How have you been stamping Mechanical drawings previously?

You would be the only mechanical PE?

How have you been stamping Mechanical drawings previously?
I have not stamped any drawings before, my boss is the electrical PE. He is the one stamped all the drawing. Since most of our business is in Texas, the state only require 1 PE to sign off the drawings.

In Texas, the PE can stamp Mechanical & Electrical drawings. The PE stamp in Texas did not show any discipline.

He's electrical and stamps mechanical drawings?
*Earlier by you, i meant your company
There are a handful of states that allow this. I know Texas and Idaho are among them. Not sure which others are.

Heck, in California architects can (or at least used to be able to) seal MEP design drawings. Not sure if that's still the case, but it was 10ish years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Colorado our stamps are not linked to our discipline. However ethics requires that we do not stamp anything beyond our area of expertise.

Mars - you need to be making more money as an MEP consultant. Working with at least 4 years experience for 50k is only hurting the rest of the industry.

Back