Passed, Pay Raise?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
52K????? mcdonalds managers make more than that. just passed my test and have offers double that in NC and FL. yiiiiiiiiikes.
Do you live in either of those areas now? If not, what outlets are you using to set up/look for job openings and interviews?
I live in FL, and have offers in NC. My current job and both offers were set up through my professional network (friend who knew a friend who needed someone). And all 3 were not posted or advertised. I would lean on anyone you know in the areas you are looking to help you get in contact with firms and companies. Best bet now is to look outside of consulting and get into corporate engineering. Pay is better right now and markets are more stable.

52K????? mcdonalds managers make more than that. just passed my test and have offers double that in NC and FL. yiiiiiiiiikes.
Do you live in either of those areas now? If not, what outlets are you using to set up/look for job openings and interviews?
I live in FL, and have offers in NC. My current job and both offers were set up through my professional network (friend who knew a friend who needed someone). And all 3 were not posted or advertised. I would lean on anyone you know in the areas you are looking to help you get in contact with firms and companies. Best bet now is to look outside of consulting and get into corporate engineering. Pay is better right now and markets are more stable.
what do you mean by "corporate engineering"?

i currently work in a support group of civil engineers who manage waste for a large chemical manufacturing/mining company. i would consider any job in which you are working for a company that doesnt do your type of engineering as direct income "corporate engineering". we employ all kinds of engineers in all disciplines that don't directly contribute to the operation of the company (reliability, electrical, structural, etc.). Any large manufacturing or mining company will employ lots of these engineers so they don't have to sub out the work. these types of jobs are the highest paying ive seen. the highest is in the power industry.

i currently work in a support group of civil engineers who manage waste for a large chemical manufacturing/mining company. i would consider any job in which you are working for a company that doesnt do your type of engineering as direct income "corporate engineering". we employ all kinds of engineers in all disciplines that don't directly contribute to the operation of the company (reliability, electrical, structural, etc.). Any large manufacturing or mining company will employ lots of these engineers so they don't have to sub out the work. these types of jobs are the highest paying ive seen. the highest is in the power industry.
I'm in the power industry.. i'd love to get some additional details on these types of jobs you're referring to. PM me if you have the time please, it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Read the comments posted here and remember the old times when I was in the same boat; excited about the future and all the goodies the PE was going to bring. Sadly the majority of the ones commenting here are up for a rude awakening. The PE will just help a handful of you. That is the truth, a fact. PE is overrated since is only good for a small section of the industry. But it is good business for the organization that controls it. Would be interesting to learn how much money is invested by PE candidates every year, and how the money they spent is used to " improve the profession".

Im not sure the PE is overrated but I do think there are more PE's than are actual opportunities... I know guys making $150K (+) with it so it seems worth it...

Your salary is determined by how well you negotiate. The better you can negotiate the more you will get paid. If an employer does not understand the value of the PE they will not pay more. You need to promote the value of the PE in the work place, even in the exempt environments. This will make it easier to justify higher salaries for PE's and help others that will follow later. The reason why those with MBA's and law degrees get high salaries is that they understand how to market their value. PE's need to do the same.

For me personally I knew I couldn't make that much without it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, 52k as a civil engineer, no geotech or structural. HIstorically those two areas get paid more than a typical civil concentrated. Factor in that fact that these jobs are in Vermont and New Hampshire (not very populated compared to NC or FL) and you can start to see why the salaries are so low. When I was moving back from NC I had an interview with a company located in Burlington, VT (which is the biggest city in the area). They offered me roughly 30k!, there are lowball offers and then there are cheapskates. 30k would barely cover rent, car payment, and utilities.
30k is an insult. I could get more as a construction inspector being directed by civil engineers.

there are plenty of good, high-paying jobs out there. i currently work in a support group for a huge chemical manufacturer (waste management division), and our group could have salaries over 100k. i would have to guess the best salaries are those outside of typical construction markets, as those jobs will be slow to come back until development is back and stable.
I think the 30k offer was more definitely an insult considering the amount of bussiness they were bring in over a five year period. The construction engineering job I had paid more than that, although, still not engineering money 37k. I thiis area, if you are working for a small company, it doesn't amount to much because the competition for work is so high and engineers are a dime a dozen. Honestly, private consulting isnt what it used to be anymore, most of their numbers are right in line with the State DOT's (which is absurd). An interesting scenario for me, I have been offered work across the state, it would take about 1.5 hours to get there every day. The bump in salary is about 15%, and yet I turned down the offer on the grounds that the 15% raise would barely pay for my gas every week. There is a 0% chance of moving because my wife loves her job.

UPDATE:

Just received an immediate 15% increase! With overtime it will work out to over 20%. Can't complain anymore

With PE title and promotion that came with it, approximately 16 percent increase. Thank you boss!

Nice Weavs!

Unfortunately for me, my company recently changed their policy on compensation for obtaining your license about a year ago, and downgraded the compensation. Previously, there wasn't an "official policy", but people who got their PE got a 3g raise once you got your license.

So I was expecting the same, only to find out that an Official policy is now in place, and it's a 4g one time bonus. (a 1 time bonus that they can take back if you leave the company within a year).

So while it's better than nothing, I'm definitely ticked about the compensation being downgraded.

Just turned in the paperwork for my bonus. 3% of base salary. Too bad it's a bonus and not a raise. Oh well, better than a sharp stick in the eye.

got reimbursed for my books/study materials. not sure about the pay raise; i know my company does not have a fixed amount for the PE, so we'll see.

Well on Friday the boss finally announced my raise: A whole whopping 1%

I work in an industry that requires the PE and the company DEFINITELY profits from having me onboard as a PE.
Not that I'm not grateful about getting a raise at all, but it's kind of an insult.

All my hard work last year, all those extra hours I put in, I could have worked a side job at McDonalds or other minimum wage gig and I would have earned more than my whole 1% raise.

Yep. Boss called me into his office to announce the 'good news' that I would get ~700 bucks extra every year. I don't even know how to negotiate, the lowball is soooo low.

Latest posts

Back