Pass Rates

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Key word: rate!
The "pass rate" has nothing to do with what score (raw or adjusted) it takes to pass.
Historically, the pass rate for first time takers is between 60 and 70 percent. As stated above, this has nothing to do with the cut score, it just is what it is.

When NCEES has the pass rates for the April '08 exam, I am sure that they will post them here:

http://www.ncees.org/exams/pass_rates/

For the PE Civil Exam, the pass rates for the past two test have been:

October '07: 68% for first time takers, and 22% for repeat takers

and

April '07: 64% for first time takers, and 29% for repeat takers

I would guess that those pass rates don't vary too much, and that the April '08 exam pass rate will be in the ballpark of the figures above.

I have not seen the pass rate but I got 52 out of 80 or 65% and not pass. Boo Hoo
How do you know your exact raw score? What I read was that scores are no longer revealed, whether you pass or fail. They say that if you fail, you will get a diagnostic your strength in each area, but not a score. Did you actually get a report of how many questions you got right?

How do you know your exact raw score? What I read was that scores are no longer revealed, whether you pass or fail. They say that if you fail, you will get a diagnostic your strength in each area, but not a score. Did you actually get a report of how many questions you got right?
The fail diagnostic gives you the percent correct for each area. If you know how many questions in that area, it's easy to know how many questions you got right. Percentages like 50, 33, 25, 20, 17, 13, 11, 10, 9, etc. make it easy to be sure you've got the right number. For example, a 33% is either 1 out of 3, 2 out of 6, 3 out of 9, etc.

I took the civil transpo test and you can pretty much figure out how many you got right from the diagnostic report and from others who post diagnostics. On the civil test we have 5 sections with 8 questions per section for a total of forty questions in the morning. If you have 88% on a section that's 7/8 & so on. The second half of the day is trickier. Our test has uneven amounts of questions per section in the evening and if you get 50% or 100% it is sometimes hard to figure out the total amount of questions in that specific section and that's where other postings of diagnostics helps. This is only an estimate of the amount of questions answered correctly. Sometimes enough diagnostics posted can help determine the cut score.

When NCEES has the pass rates for the April '08 exam, I am sure that they will post them here:http://www.ncees.org/exams/pass_rates/

For the PE Civil Exam, the pass rates for the past two test have been:

October '07: 68% for first time takers, and 22% for repeat takers

and

April '07: 64% for first time takers, and 29% for repeat takers

I would guess that those pass rates don't vary too much, and that the April '08 exam pass rate will be in the ballpark of the figures above.
Just to note...

I think you confused the October '07 FE results with the April '07 PE pass rates. Under "PE Exam Pass Rates" only Architectural and Naval Architecture/Marine are listed for the April 2007 PE Exam. Under October 2007 it shows the PE civil at 64% for first timers and 29% for repeaters.

Just to note...
I think you confused the October '07 FE results with the April '07 PE pass rates. Under "PE Exam Pass Rates" only Architectural and Naval Architecture/Marine are listed for the April 2007 PE Exam. Under October 2007 it shows the PE civil at 64% for first timers and 29% for repeaters.
yes, you're right, I did mix up the FE/PE pass rates.

For PE Civil, only the Oct '07 pass rates are shown:

64% for first time takers, and 29% for repeat takers

thanks for the clarification.

My dad (a board member in KY) got an email from the executive director of the KY board saying that the pass rate for all PEs in Kentucky was 61%, and the national pass rate for all PEs was around 70%. I'll get him to forward me the email when he gets back in town this weekend.

Back