Pass Rates Updated NCEES

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry to hear that :(

What helped me on my third try was determining if there were any study habits I could improve. I put in more time on my second attempt, with a review course/reading the EERM, but still failed.  So I decided to focus on quality versus quantity.  Even though I put in the most time on my 3rd attempt (~200 hrs), I studied at the kitchen table to minimize distractions (vs. studying on the couch), and practiced as many problems as I could.

You'll get it.  ❤️ 
Thanks for the advice, I will give it another go in April. 

I brought it with me to the exam but didn't open it up. It's a good resource but you cannot answer theory questions with it. The number of theory questions might get reduced in the CBT and the difficulty like the FE exam. It's nearly impossible to pass the current PE exam format with just NCEES hand out. 
Wasn't it's always the case that the FE handbook was the only resource allowed even during the pencil and paper FE exam?

Wasn't it's always the case that the FE handbook was the only resource allowed even during the pencil and paper FE exam?
I have no idea, I took FE in 2016 and by that time it became CBT. I only had an electronic copy of the manual with a searchable option. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does enviro say "cbt" when in fact those results are based on p&p? Lol
It could be an error. Or it could be that the last two versions of the test were just a P&P version of the CBT questions. Some of the exam prep manuals were referencing the CBT manual.

Environmental is down by 5%. How bad it's going to be in the next cycle being a CBT. Glad I passed. 😏
Might be about the same if its the same test. 

I personally think CBT will be a *little* easier.  Looks like pass rates went up for ChemE after the exam went to CBT.
I'm not so sure, especially if it's all the same test.

ChemE certainly went up, but IIRC it had a relatively lower pass rate to begim with.

I personally wouldn't be in a rush to be one of the first takers in April. Let someone else blaze that trail and learn from their mistakes. ;)

I don't know if its ALWAYS been the case. But it was like that from at least late90s to early 00s to the transition. 

It could be an error. Or it could be that the last two versions of the test were just a P&P version of the CBT questions. Some of the exam prep manuals were referencing the CBT manual.

If the last two P&P is a version of CBT. it is nearly impossible to pass the exam just by using the NCEES manual. At the very least not for qualitative questions they are tough to find even with a proper reference. Let's see how it turns out in April. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if its ALWAYS been the case. But it was like that from at least late90s to early 00s to the transition. 
Okay, so any change in difficulty from the P&P exam to the CBT exam for the FE would not, in theory, have anything to do with a change in available resources during the exam.  

If the last two P&P is a version of CBT. I can guarantee that it is nearly impossible to pass the exam just by using the NCEES manual. At the very least not for qualitative questions. 
Hence my comment about not wanting to be the first one to take it in April. ;)

I am curious with regard to people who took the Pencil and Paper Enviro exam if they find the PE Environmental Reference Handbook on the NCESS website more or less dense than the sum total of materials that examinees have traditionally brought on the exam day.  
I brought it, but found it to be useless or redundant. And it certainly did not help with he qualitative questions.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens to the pass rates when the Enviro exam goes to CBT next year. 

Noticed the Civil Transportation and Civil Water Resources went down a lot compared to April 2017.. what's going on?? 

All these years later still so thankful to have passed the Oct 2018 Power Exam on my first try. If I didn't pass that time chances are it wasn't going to happen at all.

Back