Pass rates from October 2009 exam are up

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to know that too, Transpo.

I always assumed I just misunderstood the percentage or what "repeat takers" meant. Is that the percentage of repeat takers who passed? Or, is that the percentage of those sitting the exam who were repeat takers?

Dont know but it says pass rates...this was try #2 for me and I passed...so am 1 out of 4 who did? Thats a discouraging rate to see if you are looking at taking it a second time

Or a third time... or fourth...

Agreed, it's discouraging.

Well, I guess it shows we're a persistent bunch?

I wonder why repeat takers passing rates are so low
For the most part, the short answer is that a lot of people who fail the first time due to bad study habits don't tend to do enough to help the situation when they retake the exam.

I personally was a repeat taker...actually a couple times. The first couple times I took the exam I don't think I studied more than a few hours and figured I'd rely on my references. I do like to emphasize that I did pass the exam the first time I decided to take it seriously and put in some actual study time.

Wow, the I'm glad I took the Civil/Structural Depth in October instead of the Structural 1 exam; the Str 1 pass rate dropped from April 09 when I failed it.

Since I took the Structural 1 exam in April and failed, and took the Civil PE exam in October and passed, does that mean I'm counted as a first time taker or repeat taker in the October pass rates?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, the I'm glad I took the Civil/Structural Depth in October instead of the Structural 1 exam; the Str 1 pass rate dropped from April 09 when I failed it.
Since I took the Structural 1 exam in April and failed, and took the Civil PE exam in October and passed, does that mean I'm counted as a first time taker or repeat taker in the October pass rates?
I'd say they do it by exam, so you would be a first timer. Otherwise, somebody who passed the Civil and then took the Structural would also be a "repeater" and I don't think that's what they intend. Of course, I'm just guesing here.

interesting ME dropped from 82% (April 2009) to 69% (October 2009).
I thought it drop from 72%to 69%. Not 82% to 69%. ..........I wish that I am in that 69%. I should go to Chemical Engineering in my college...
I wouldn't do that.

College graduation rates for Chemical Engineers are usually LESS than that of Mechanical Engineers. This implies a more difficult engineering program for Chem E's....and hence, it being more difficult to graduate as a Chemical Engineer.

But, of course, everyone will look at the higher PE exam pass rates and assume that the Chem Engineers have it EASY....

It goes both ways......higher PE exam pass rates may imply a brighter bunch of Engineers and not necessarily an easier exam as you have assumed.

College graduation rates for Chemical Engineers are usually LESS than that of Mechanical Engineers. This implies a more difficult engineering program for Chem E's....and hence, it being more difficult to graduate as a Chemical Engineer.
Source please? And rationale for inference.

Lacking adequate controls, the mere fact (if actually true) that fewer ChE students eventually graduate implies nothing about the difficulty of the program.

I'm electrical BTW.

Lacking adequate controls, the mere fact (if actually true) that fewer ChE students eventually graduate implies nothing about the difficulty of the program.
No sources/rationale...I was just trying to get a point across. But, it appears your statement hits the nail on the head (I changed 4 of your words):

Lacking adequate controls, the mere fact (if actually true) that more ChE examinees eventually pass implies nothing about the difficulty of the PE exam.

I'm Environmental BTW.

No sources/rationale...I was just trying to get a point across. But, it appears your statement hits the nail on the head (I changed 4 of your words):

Lacking adequate controls, the mere fact (if actually true) that more ChE examinees eventually pass implies nothing about the difficulty of the PE exam.

I'm Environmental BTW.
Is there someone here who said that it did (other than you)? I must have missed that post. I'm not saying somebody did not jump to that unfounded conclusion, just that it wasn't me, and I didn't see it.

I would NEVER post anything like that, because I don't believe you can compare between disciplines. They're all difficult.

You are so right. They are all difficult and they are all different just as all of us are. Maybe the devotion to the discipline fell shorter than making the decision to major in it.

For arguments sake, I'm just trying to get my name posted above.

Back