P90X

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, Supe, I remember in the 10k thread you talked some about this again, are you still doing this?

Anyone else have any experiences over the last year with P90X?

I herniated a disc in my back in Feb and want to get back into some activity. My main issue is that when I'm active, that I get into a rut badly - and this at least will help to force me to do something different everytime without thinking.

I'm back to about 90 percent, but I think the ab workout may have to be modified significantly due to my back.

So, Supe, I remember in the 10k thread you talked some about this again, are you still doing this?

I herniated a disc in my back in Feb and want to get back into some activity. My main issue is that when I'm active, that I get into a rut badly - and this at least will help to force me to do something different everytime without thinking.

I'm back to about 90 percent, but I think the ab workout may have to be modified significantly due to my back.
I see where I can get a full set of DVD's, the nutrition plan / etc. for about $60 on craigslist. That's my main motivation, that and about $100 in adjustable dumbells and I could be in business.

The treadmill and bike are getting boring, plus long rides on the bike really make it a difficult recovery for my back. I end up taking 2-3 days off with lots of stretching to recover from a bike ride.

We got ours off ebay for $90 and the dumbells for $25 and the Chin Bar for $30. My husband used it a month and pulled a muscle and stop. It kicks your but, but it works!

I see where I can get a full set of DVD's, the nutrition plan / etc. for about $60 on craigslist. That's my main motivation, that and about $100 in adjustable dumbells and I could be in business.

The treadmill and bike are getting boring, plus long rides on the bike really make it a difficult recovery for my back. I end up taking 2-3 days off with lots of stretching to recover from a bike ride.

The hardest thing on my back was the Yoga. I'm thinking about doing P90X again, but with Insanity cardio routines substituted in for the P90X cardio and yoga routines. You won't find a better muscle building/toning workout outside of a personal trainer. But I think the cardio is a little weak, although interesting (the Kenpo was pretty fun the first few times I did it). The Plyometrics is also really high impact, so you'll want to make sure not to re-injure your back with that one.

I bought P90X off of Craigslist this past Friday, actually. I plan on doing my workouts in our garage since I don't trust all of the workouts in a small, 90+ year old house on piers. Besides, it'll make me finish a couple of projects before I start on man cave v1.0.

The only 90X I've done is eating roughly 90 times the usual. Thankfully, the race car is fully operational and all the cancer stuff is over with, so I'm starting to go back to the gym. I had a VERY hard time doing a number of the routines because of my back and hips (the kickboxing stuff was making my hips pop in and out). Still hoping to do it, I think it's going to take me a while to get there though.

Today was day 1. I could only do about 2/3 of the routine moves and typically would burn out about 2/3 of the reps - same here Supe with back / hip problems.

All I've been doing to prep over the last week was low impact and stretching. I thought I was ready, but this will take some time.

I'm doing the modified "lean" workout routine vs. the normal "classic" to do more cardio and burn fat.

I was planning on starting last week but the pullup bar I ordered won't be here until later this week. Planning to do it in conjunction with real weights (1-2x a week tops), swimming, running, and biking. The timing is perfect, and it'll help me get tuned up before I start training for an IM in November. Just gotta figure out what to do about weights, craigslist is sucking and I might just pick up some of the 5-50 powerblocks, though that's a few hundred bucks I didn't want to spend.

Following the diet part is crucial if you want real results, too.

Following the diet part is crucial if you want real results, too.
Following A diet is crucial, but I certainly don't suggest following the P90X suggested diet. One of my sister's friends did the P90X diet along with the videos, and she was actually fainting due to malnutrition. The diet they include doesn't give you nearly enough calories to offset how many calories you burn during those workouts. I suggest using the Daily Plate (now part of LiveStrong.com) to keep track of your caloric intake while you are doing P90X.

Following A diet is crucial, but I certainly don't suggest following the P90X suggested diet. One of my sister's friends did the P90X diet along with the videos, and she was actually fainting due to malnutrition. The diet they include doesn't give you nearly enough calories to offset how many calories you burn during those workouts. I suggest using the Daily Plate (now part of LiveStrong.com) to keep track of your caloric intake while you are doing P90X.
Obviously I don't know the specifics of your sister's friend's situation, but I would guess she has some other issues if she's fainting at a ~500kcal/day deficit. More likely is that she wasn't eating as much as she was supposed to.

TDP/LS is a junkshow. I used it for a while but quit when I realized that I didn't need it as I had a good handle on my intake, the incompetence of the staff, and the total mess of dozens upon dozens of duplicate and incorrect food items (including "verified" ones). I hear good things about SparkPeople and MyFitnessPal, though haven't used either.

Obviously I don't know the specifics of your sister's friend's situation, but I would guess she has some other issues if she's fainting at a ~500kcal/day deficit. More likely is that she wasn't eating as much as she was supposed to.
TDP/LS is a junkshow. I used it for a while but quit when I realized that I didn't need it as I had a good handle on my intake, the incompetence of the staff, and the total mess of dozens upon dozens of duplicate and incorrect food items (including "verified" ones). I hear good things about SparkPeople and MyFitnessPal, though haven't used either.
The problem with the P90X diet is I don't think it takes starting body weight into consideration. If you weigh 250, you burn a hell of a lot more calories doing Plyo than you would if you weigh 180. Sure, that's a good thing for losing weight, but you need a certain baseline caloric intake to keep your body functioning too. I lost about 2.5 lbs a week for about 6 months, and I would have been scared for my health if I was losing it any faster than that.

The Daily Plate has really gone down hill since it joined up with LiveStrong. They tried to "improve" the interface, and ended up making it slow and buggy. The database has always been bloated, but it takes very little effort to scan the entries for whatever you ate and find which one is closest to what you ate. I've found that most of the the verified entries from restaurants are within 50 calories of each other, and usually, if you read the entry, it will be specialized for a user (like no cheese, or no mayo on a sandwich that normally comes with bacon or mayo). I like the fact that I can specialize stuff for myself if need be, so I guess I tolerate the database bloat.

Sounds like P90X might be what I need. Ive been in a bit of a rut when it comes to workingout. Ive been hammering the same workout routine for a while now and Ive hit a plateu (sp?). Sounds like its heavy on the pullups though. Unfortunately Im very bottom heavy (damn all these years of running) and my spindly girly arms are almost incapable of yanking my bulbous head up from a hanging position.

I think where I really need to focus is on my diet. I eat like shit. All. The. Time.

The problem with the P90X diet is I don't think it takes starting body weight into consideration. If you weigh 250, you burn a hell of a lot more calories doing Plyo than you would if you weigh 180. Sure, that's a good thing for losing weight, but you need a certain baseline caloric intake to keep your body functioning too. I lost about 2.5 lbs a week for about 6 months, and I would have been scared for my health if I was losing it any faster than that.

The Daily Plate has really gone down hill since it joined up with LiveStrong. They tried to "improve" the interface, and ended up making it slow and buggy. The database has always been bloated, but it takes very little effort to scan the entries for whatever you ate and find which one is closest to what you ate. I've found that most of the the verified entries from restaurants are within 50 calories of each other, and usually, if you read the entry, it will be specialized for a user (like no cheese, or no mayo on a sandwich that normally comes with bacon or mayo). I like the fact that I can specialize stuff for myself if need be, so I guess I tolerate the database bloat.
The P90X diet plan gives you a target daily caloric intake that's based on your weight. On top of that, they try to get you to change your pyramid to heavy protein vs. carbs to begin with in the first 30 days, level it out in the next 30 and then in the last 30, you start building back up the carbs for quick energy (but still try to focus on complex carbs).

I think for my weight (191 right now), it said that I should be consuming like 1900 calories a day just to maintain weight if I was sitting around all day. Then add in for activity, add an additional 20% of that number then add 600.

My daily caloric intake should be 2892 calories when active. I know before when working out, I was trying to stick to a 2500 calorie diet and I felt starved all the time. I don't think (at least at this point) that the program is trying to starve people, and it does base your goals on your weight.

ngnrd said:
I'm looking at doing the P90x program. But I don't have any place to put the pull up bar (arched passages no doors and no trim anywhere there's a TV). Are their alternatives to using the bar, or would I need to get a stand alone unit?
You can either get a power tower (pull up bar, dip bar, and knee raise pads) or you can buy some power bands and wrap them around something tall to simulate the pull-ups (they show you how do use the bands in the videos).

I've enjoyed the yoga part of the program. Does that make me :f_115m_e45d7af: ?
I didn't enjoy doing it, but I liked the flexibility that it gave me. But I hated the fact that it fucked my back up for about a month. If I did P90X again, I'd skip the Yoga and do another day of cardio or something.

1 week into it. I haven't worked out in 2 days, that damn downward dog position kind of screwed with my lower back problems and I've been hobbling around for 2 days.

I've modified the program to try to get around doing some of the more intense back hurting routine, but even some of the stretches have set off my nerve.

Going to give it the weekend and then start over with more modifications. You're right wil, some of these positions are not back friendly AT ALL. I do wish I had more flexibility. I've lost a lot of range of motion in my hips. In rehab after my back injury the PT person told me that all the running / biking and no performis stretches resulted in a tightening of those muscles such that it's really difficult for me to sit indian style anymore. Even jumping jacks are a stretch... Going to just try to do some more stretches and get back into it after the weekend and see where I stand.

Chest and Back is the one routine that made me sore every time I did it...right up until the last rotation. It's just an assload of pullups and pushups.

The pull-ups gave me the only real issue in the assessment workout. I did a total of 3.5 (I was shocked I did that many) and, during the first two, my elbows and shoulders cracked. I guess I haven't used those joints / muscles in a while, huh?

My biceps are all tore up following day 1. I couldn't do 3/4 of the ab ripper workout because of the protein shake I had an hour before the workout. My tummy didn't like me after the chest and back and if I had done any more of the ab workout, the floor would have been a nice collage of my lunch. All I tasted was that chocolate flavor. :puke:

No more snack shakes for me before workout.

Back