P.E. or PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P.E. or PE?

• P.E.

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • PE

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
peta-campaign-logo-780981.jpg

Is that supposed to discourage me from partaking of such a fine specimine (misspelled for comedic effect. Likely failure)? I take a nibble or two.
No shit, i get zero urge to go vegan w/ that ad campaign!

I dont have a good reason for it but i like PE better. Call me lazy but signing P.E. just takes too much work.

Last edited by a moderator:
i like PE, as mentioned above, having multiple degrees/licenses after my name it gets cluttered with all the dots.
Squishles... it's not the dots that are cluttering things up - you've got too much crap after your name! I really can't see having more than one to three "things".

Which makes me wonder... what is the generic term for these "things"? Academic degrees, licenses, memberships, certifications, etc.

Why the need to list more than your highest degree (if you're in academia) and relevant licenses? The rest is in the resume, anyway, and if it's at the bottom of the letter, who really cares?

Since its published or nominal (named) by NCEES

According to NCEES, it's P.E.
; when you choose elsewise you're basing that decision strictly on preference - its is arguably better to choose published nomenclature cuz it wouldn't ever be questioned or 'out of style' so to say. Otherwise go w/ your company standard, but go with the nominal on resume & all else.

I really can't see having more than one to three "things".
I'm not a fan of more than one. I hate seeing an alphabet soup of letters after someones name. Guy in the office does that. he thinks it looks impressive, but I've heard people refer to him as [Name] ABCDEFG.

Since someone else dug up this old thread, figured I might as well ask a question on the topic. Is there anything on NCEES.org that talks about the use of "PE" or "P.E."? The link referenced above no longer works and I wasn't able to find anything pertaining to this on NCEES. Just curious. Google didn't seem to come up with a definitive answer either.

I like PE, it's sleeker. Also, because I'm a PE, RRC I drop the periods. Just looks cleaner. Technically not correct and we engs are the only species that cares about whether something this minor is correct.

Since someone else dug up this old thread, figured I might as well ask a question on the topic. Is there anything on NCEES.org that talks about the use of "PE" or "P.E."? The link referenced above no longer works and I wasn't able to find anything pertaining to this on NCEES. Just curious. Google didn't seem to come up with a definitive answer either.
FWIW, I was able to find a little clarification here, 3rd FAQ.

FWIW, I was able to find a little clarification here, 3rd FAQ.
Email I received from NCEES:

Dear Mr. knight1fox3,

I received your request about the use of the designation P.E. or PE. In all of our NCEES publications (including the Model Rules, Manual of Policy and Position Statements, and our Web site), we use the designation of P.E. with periods. We don't have a specific policy about it, though.

Sincerely,

Keri

Keri Anderson

Manager of Corporate Communications

NCEES

ncees.org

Latest posts

Back