Out of wedlock births

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Pretty demoralizing.

GREENVILLE, N.C. (AP) - A new U.S. Census report finds that a North Carolina city is No. 2 in the country for its percentage of recent unmarried mothers, and two South Carolina cities are in the Top 10.

The report says about 36% of births in 2011 were to unmarried women.

A number of metropolitan areas had considerably higher percentages of unmarried recent moms. Tops was Flagstaff, Ariz., where three out of 4 recent mothers were unmarried. Greenville, N.C., was second with 69% of births in 2011 coming to unmarried women.

In South Carolina, Myrtle Beach was fourth with two-thirds of new moms unmarried, while Sumter had more than six out of 10 births coming to unmarried moms.

Louisiana, Mississippi and New Mexico were the states with the highest percentages.
http://www.wsav.com/story/22167802/1-nc-city-2-in-sc-among-tops-for-unmarried-moms

Does it count as "out of wedlock" if a married woman gets knocked up by the milkman?

Does it count as "out of wedlock" if a married woman gets knocked up by the milkman?
I think that is ruled by state law...but in Misery(Missouri) the father of the child is the husband of the mother no matter who the biological father...I think they even go so far as to make the husband pay child support even if he proves he is not the actual father and the couple gets divorced, isn't that some sh%t!

I knew a girl in college who became pregnant out of wedlock. She let me know, "They pay you a LOT of money for college once you have a baby. It's totally worth it!" 19-year-old csb enjoyed napping and virginity way too much to buy that line of BS.

^ our Family Dr's youngest daughter got knocked up during her sophomore yr in highschool...it's amusing because it was during the time I was pregnant with minisnick he was going on about hoping his own kids would avoid the small town teenage motherhood thing. He found out not long after that he was going to be grandpa. 2 of the 3 made it. His wife watches the kid while his daughter goes to high school. She is a senior this year and top of her class....so it can happen to anyone.

^ our Family Dr's youngest daughter got knocked up during her sophomore yr in highschool...it's amusing because it was during the time I was pregnant with minisnick he was going on about hoping his own kids would avoid the small town teenage motherhood thing. He found out not long after that he was going to be grandpa. 2 of the 3 made it. His wife watches the kid while his daughter goes to high school. She is a senior this year and top of her class....so it can happen to anyone.

It wasn't so long ago that such a situation would most likely end in an abortion or a mysterious trip to visit relatives (aka birth and putting the kid up for adoption).

I honestly think the adoption route is generally best for everyone involved, but society doesn't always do as I think it should.

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue with adoption is that the entire process is so heavily regulated and full of red tape, the government has essentially pushed a lot of quality potential adoptors out of "the market" and the children (if not adopted as a baby) end up in the system for life as a fostor child.

^^Sadly, very true.

Honestly, I was there to see the dramatic societal shift, and I'd say it happened in the late eighties. It would explain a lot if the increase in red tape happened at the same time.

The issue with adoption is that the entire process is so heavily regulated and full of red tape, the government has essentially pushed a lot of quality potential adoptors out of "the market" and the children (if not adopted as a baby) end up in the system for life as a fostor child.
We've had a couple of people at my work go overseas (Russia) for adoption due to this. That and they always had the fear of the mother coming back for her children after xx years.

I've had family members go through the adoption process for a little boy (4yrs old at the time) who was removed from a very abusive family environment. Even with the government's help and their insistance the boy be removed from the family, it took a couple years to get everything finalized. I could only imagine what the process would be like if the gubmet wasn't on your side...

Back