Organize books in the exam room

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mechash

Reaction score
I am worried how I will keep the books organized in the exam room. When I took the FE I remember we were not allowed to even keep our watches or water bottles on the table. Will the exam prcotor allow us to keep the reference books on the table or will we have to keep on floor. Is there a good way to keep the books organized for quick reference. Thank you.

I was allowed (in Georgia) to keep books on the table, water bottles were okay too,

what I did was stack them next to me on the floor in two stacks (will use and might use)

its worth it to get there early enough to set your work area up

You're mechanical, so maybe you can relate to my setup:

1) On table - MERM, Shigley, HVAC book

2) On floor - everything else with spines facing up.

Don't clutter your work area.

Im planning on having the ChERM and a set of steam tables up on the table. Nothing else.
That's about right for the chemical test, at least for the morning. The afternoon was slightly more qualitative so I was looking through references more then.

For the mechanical exam - I took a rolling suitcase (size that fits in overhead bin on a plane) with books positions such that they would travel well. Once I got there, was able to have the suitcase on the floor next to me and then stand all the books up next to each other upright like a small library so I could easily pull them in/out of the suitcase.

It worked quite well and I'd recommend it to others! In Milwaukee, the exam area allowed enough room to do so...there will likely be enough time while they are getting everyone in to get settled and organized. Just be patient and focus on doing what you've prepared for!

Good luck!

Back