Old Beam Sizes

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nperr

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to get the properties for S9X21 and S15X35. Does anyone have an old AISC book with these properties? I need the Sx and the Ix.

Thanks.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for. In our company library we have a copy of the 1926 American Bridge Company Engineering Standards. They don't specifically call them S-beams, it looks like the engineering properties are for Carnegie & Illinois beams. Anyway here is the info

9x21.8 Ix=84.9 and Sx=18.9

15x35 Ix=368 and Sx=49.0

I looked in 7th & 8th editions of AISC and could not find the S-beams you listed.

Here is a link to a guy that has a 1923 Carnegie Pocket Companion that you can down load.

I hope this helps.

Hi, Thanks for the extra lookup drill before Friday's exam. The properties previously shown match the AISC historic database included in the Companion CD w/ the 13th Ed. Steel Construction Manual (1st ed). The CD files are listed as Shapes Databases v. 13.0 Current and v. 13.0H Historic.

As listed: S9X21; Sx=18.9, Ix=84.9 (as noted in the majority (3) of 5 listings); S15X35; Sx=49, Ix=367.9 Note: Both were manufactured by either Bethlehem or US Steel. Sorry, don't know the manufacture dates. Hope this helps to confirm the earlier info if not too late.

Vern08aa

Latest posts

Back