Of Cats and Vets

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
We were just talking about this in the office.

We have taken our cats to the vet yearly for their shots for over a decade, but the funny thing is, when I was a kid, we never took the cats to the vet exept the initial spay/nueter. No shots, no checkups, nothing. And most of the cats I had growing up lasted at least fifteen years unless cancer got to them. I never put it together until I was older, but, basically, if the cat went to the vet, it wasn't coming back.

Now, granted, this was a long time ago, and I grew up out in the sticks, but when did taking cats in for yearly shots become the norm? And do you take them or not?

cats need shots? I know towns have added rules about pets and required shots, but i didn't think they applied to cats

I still dont take my cats to the vet. Granted they have all been "inside" pets since I moved to the city and dont have direct contact with other pets in the neighborhood. Growing up, we never took our cats to the vet either, and we lived out in the sticks. Everyone of my cats either got old and passed away or they just "disappeared", typically due to the coyotes. Only time any of them saw a vet was when we got them spayed/neutered.

Rabies vaccinations are required in many urban communities. Beyond that any vaccinations are purely voluntary.

My wife bought a cat in 2003 while in grad school to keep her company, before we moved in together.

He was already snipped when she got him. She took him to the vet once to get shots so he could be kenneled, but that was it. He's 10, healthy, and we've never gone back. I hate that cat, which means he'll live to be 20.

Dogs on the other hand are expensive as hell as far as vet bills go...especially when you have one with shitty knees.

My roommate and I acquired a cat our senior year of college. We took it to the vet for initial shots and the surgery. It has been back one time since, when it got fleas. My dad is convinced that unnecessary shots and other trips to the vet is what killed several of our cats growing up. I don't take my cat to the vet unless he appears sick for a long time.

537039302_p4316299.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The only time I've ever paid for anything to be done to a cat was very early in our marriage (my wifes and mine, not the cats). She found some stray cat, Petey, and fell in love with it. Granted it was pretty, but it was just a cat. Well, after a year or so Petey developed some god awful cancer/sores/oozing things all over him and she just wouldnt let me shoot him. So she had him looked at by our vet. They gave him some shots or medicine and sent him home. We locked him in the laundry room to keep an i on him. Late that night she heard a terrible noise coming from the room and went to check on him. There was blood on every wall, piece of clothing and washer/dryer. Not drops, alot of blood. Apparently whatever was eating him up had come to the surface and manifested itself in numerous bleeding sores. Needless to say, Petey was not around for long after that. She still tears up when his name is brought up.

Stupid cat.

Back