October 2014 PE Pass Rates are Posted on NCEES

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad the volume has been posted too because at my testing site in Philadelphia, the room had MUCH fewer people than thought there would be, and this was the same place where I took the FE and it was packed.

I took the exam in Philly as well and had the same thoughts.

It's kinda mean that they can post numbers and pass rates while some are still waiting on results.
As far as the NCEES is concerned, all results are available.
If all results are available according to the NCEES then why doesn't the NCEES website have my results posted? They are still only on PCS, but at this point that is good enough for me.

It's kinda mean that they can post numbers and pass rates while some are still waiting on results.
If all results are available according to the NCEES then why doesn't the NCEES website have my results posted? They are still only on PCS, but at this point that is good enough for me.
'cause NCEES hates us and wants us to be sad at Christmas.

Because it is all a clusterf**k between PCS, NCEES, State education department and probably few other entities involved !!!

NCEES waits on the state approval process. Some states let NCEES do the notification. Other's like Illinois, use CTS (others use PCS, etc.). Those non-NCEES states have to go through their own procedures to approve the results. They then send that information back to NCEES, at which point your NCEES page is updated. Blame your state at this point. I certainly did with Illinois for their 2+ day lag.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but it looks like NCEES has released new Practice Problems. From the preview, a few problems are the same but it appears most are new.

[SIZE=medium]I find it interesting that the civil construction rate is so low compared to other civil disciplines. Is that typical? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I did find the afternoon portion to have several tricky questions that never appeared on practice exams or problems I had seen. I'm curious if the type of people taking the construction exam were less prepared than their counterparts in the other disciplines or if the types of questions on the Oct 14 test were just harder. I had heard that construction was supposed to be the easiest, so maybe that is drawing a lot of less prepared EITs to take it. It would be cool if they showed a comparison of scoring on the morning portions between each civil discipline (e.g. Geo 70% correct, Construction 60% correct, etc.). That way you could tell whether it is the test or the test-taker that is the big difference in pass rates between discipline. Too much to ask I'm sure, but it would be interesting to see.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I find it interesting that the civil construction rate is so low compared to other civil disciplines. Is that typical? [/SIZE]

I don't know; this is the first time I've seen the pass rates split up by discipline.

If I had to guess, I'd say it may have something to do with how similar the exam is to our day jobs. The Structural exam, for instance, really wasn't all that different from stuff I do all the time in the office. There were obviously a few questions that the academic types just love, but much of it wouldn't have been out of place on my desk at work.

From what I can gather, construction engineers spend much of the day doing stuff that isn't on the exam. In a sense what they do is probably more akin to project management or project coordination; they don't necessarily run the calculations themselves, but they serve as intelligent liaisons and do much of the thinking work for the contractor. (Someone correct me if I'm off base; I haven't spent much time around construction engineers, so I'm not 100% clear on what they do everyday.) At any rate, their job doesn't necessarily prepare them for the types of questions that show up on the exam, so when it comes time to study they're almost starting from scratch.

Like I say, this is just a guess. I don't think anyone who graduates with any engineering degree is dumb, so I'm thinking there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for the difference in pass rates. A correlation between pass rates and how similar the questions are to your day job makes sense to me.

I don't know; this is the first time I've seen the pass rates split up by discipline.

If I had to guess, I'd say it may have something to do with how similar the exam is to our day jobs. The Structural exam, for instance, really wasn't all that different from stuff I do all the time in the office. There were obviously a few questions that the academic types just love, but much of it wouldn't have been out of place on my desk at work.

From what I can gather, construction engineers spend much of the day doing stuff that isn't on the exam. In a sense what they do is probably more akin to project management or project coordination; they don't necessarily run the calculations themselves, but they serve as intelligent liaisons and do much of the thinking work for the contractor. (Someone correct me if I'm off base; I haven't spent much time around construction engineers, so I'm not 100% clear on what they do everyday.) At any rate, their job doesn't necessarily prepare them for the types of questions that show up on the exam, so when it comes time to study they're almost starting from scratch.

Like I say, this is just a guess. I don't think anyone who graduates with any engineering degree is dumb, so I'm thinking there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for the difference in pass rates. A correlation between pass rates and how similar the questions are to your day job makes sense to me.
I took the construction discipline for the exam this October and passed. The afternoon session had some of the toughest resource allocation problems I have seen. Also, I saw a mechanics/physics problem in the exam that was tricky and reminded me of my first year engineering course. Even the estimating problems were lengthy (not tough, just lot of calculations).

Maybe we can get more insights from people who took the test second time around !!!

I took the construction discipline for the exam this October and passed. The afternoon session had some of the toughest resource allocation problems I have seen. Also, I saw a mechanics/physics problem in the exam that was tricky and reminded me of my first year engineering course. Even the estimating problems were lengthy (not tough, just lot of calculations).

Maybe we can get more insights from people who took the test second time around !!!
I passed the civil construction also. I felt like I aced the morning, but the afternoon was full of problems I hadn't seen in my study prep. FSU makes a great point about our day jobs. I do takeoffs and schedules all the time, but most of the other stuff on the construction exam I would rarely (if ever) encounter in my position.

Q: I previously failed the mechanical systems and materials, and passed this time taking the thermal fluids....was I categorized as a repeat or a first time? I was a repeat, but it was my first time taking the TFS depth.

SMott,

I believe you are considered a first time take taker (due to raking a new module for the first time).

Q: I previously failed the mechanical systems and materials, and passed this time taking the thermal fluids....was I categorized as a repeat or a first time? I was a repeat, but it was my first time taking the TFS depth.
IMO, I would say a repeat taker, since you took mechanical again. Even states that license by discipline don't license down to the module level.

Either way, congrats!

Gah! and here I am still waiting for my state to notify me if I passed. Come on Minnesota!

Mn released results on NCEES website a few days back. You may have already got the snail mail by now, I'm overseas so not sure if they have been sent out yet.

IMO, I would say a repeat taker, since you took mechanical again. Even states that license by discipline don't license down to the module level.
Either way, congrats!
Thanks!

Only 12k test takers? I think there were 700 at my site alone, I figured it would be much more. Of course it does serve all of LA, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino Counties. Maybe south OC + Riverside goes to San Diego site, but still that's >15.5 million people served by one testing site.

Only 12k test takers? I think there were 700 at my site alone, I figured it would be much more. Of course it does serve all of LA, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino Counties. Maybe south OC + Riverside goes to San Diego site, but still that's >15.5 million people served by one testing site.

But you get areas in the midwest where there might be less than 20 people.

The whole state of Ohio only had around 350 PE and PS test takers combined.

I like how volume is a unit of measurement for people.

What if that was a test question?....

A trapezoidal channel 5' wide, 1:1 sides, 3' deep, s = .002, and n = 0.40, can carry how many examinees per second?

Back