October 2014 Electrical Power Exam was Tough

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a lot of simple mistakes on the AM. The PM was definitely easier that the AM. Hoping the PM will carry my score! Can't stop doing the math in my head to come up with the magic "56" passing (hopefully) number.

I thought the morning was really harsh. The evening was slightly better than the morning but it was tough as well. This was the first time I took the test. I thought the NCEES sample test would give me a good example of the actual test, but it wasn't. Not even close. I needed to pass this to get a promotion, but ill be back studying again. SMH!

I made a total of 5 blunders in the exam ,even after came/found the correct answer. I was in doubt of my work and chose the wrong answers (2 problematic and 3 theoretical). I hope somehow I can get to the passing mark. I am **** sure on 54 questions that were right and 21 wrong. (yesterday 53 right and 19 wrong. please don't ask me about the answers as I am not supposed to talk on any forums about the questions asked in the exam). I still cant find a specific answer for 5 questions.

I am still dreaming about the exam and having sleepless nights due to my blunders. I am praying god that they make 50 or lower as the passing score.

It would be funny to read some of the comments that will be put on the survey when it comes out.

And to top off my day, the lighting was horrid in the room we were in, and the heat was up waaaaaay too high.

Good luck to all, I am not hopeful.

yes, the am session was just horrible...it was all like greek and latin and nothing related to what was expected and prepared though several days.....very disappointing/sad and hurt about not being to crack the questions...but have to agree that the exam was very good in terms of how they framed the questions...guess someone who has good experience in variety of fields would find it easy??? pm was little better but who knows....i thought i was the only one who felt this way and that i didnt prepare enough...feel better knowing everyone felt more or less same....

This was my first time taking the test and I agree, it was much more difficult than I had expected. On average, the level of difficulty in the questions was well beyond what I had prepared for while studying. I spent about 5 months preparing for the test and it felt like I didn't prepare at all. I was in the books looking for info on about 85% of the questions.

I studied the NCEES practice test and all 4 volumes of the Complex Imaginary to prepare for the test as well as reading most of the related chapters in the Wildi, Chapman, and Grainger books. The practice NCEES questions seemed close to what was on the test, but not real helpful and the the Complex Imaginary stuff wasn't nearly complex enough to be helpful.

The NEC code questions seemed a bit easier than what I practiced so that was a bit of a bonus and it seemed like there was a lot of NEC on the test. I would have liked to have known about the 70E because I likely missed that question simply because I didn't have that material with me. Hopefully that question falls out as an outlier and is not counted in for the overall results if everyone missed it.

This was my first time taking the test and I agree, it was much more difficult than I had expected. On average, the level of difficulty in the questions was well beyond what I had prepared for while studying. I spent about 5 months preparing for the test and it felt like I didn't prepare at all. I was in the books looking for info on about 85% of the questions.

I studied the NCEES practice test and all 4 volumes of the Complex Imaginary to prepare for the test as well as reading most of the related chapters in the Wildi, Chapman, and Grainger books. The practice NCEES questions seemed close to what was on the test, but not real helpful and the the Complex Imaginary stuff wasn't nearly complex enough to be helpful.

The NEC code questions seemed a bit easier than what I practiced so that was a bit of a bonus and it seemed like there was a lot of NEC on the test. I would have liked to have known about the 70E because I likely missed that question simply because I didn't have that material with me. Hopefully that question falls out as an outlier and is not counted in for the overall results if everyone missed it.
same here ! now i have prepared my self that i am going to fail. but i m more worried how to change my study strategy if they continue to follow the same difficulty level. i prepared just like u i started in june,,,,,,,, i guess that is the part of reason i am feeling bad, but not terribly bad becasue i could have not changed a single thing to regret.

but now i dnt what to do :(

but i am so very glad that we all feeling the same , i have read all the threads from this web site since 2007 and i never EVER CAME ACROSS THIS KIND OF after exam feeling, that it was tough, this is the first time in the history i actually heard PE is tough.

i will pray for best for everyone :)

Thanks all for the feedback. I hope you all passed. I am taking the test for the first time in April '15.

If anyone would like a free copy of the NFPA 70E, I can email it to them. I have the PDF that is 3.23MB. You're on your own for printing and binding it though.

If we all scored poorly do you guys think that they will reduce the passing score below 70% or they will stick it to us all?

If we all scored poorly do you guys think that they will reduce the passing score below 70% or they will stick it to us all?
They will adjust the passing score to your score :plusone: . :bag:

It's going to a long 8 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for the feedback. I hope you all passed. I am taking the test for the first time in April '15.

If anyone would like a free copy of the NFPA 70E, I can email it to them. I have the PDF that is 3.23MB. You're on your own for printing and binding it though.

I agree with you all. Friday's exam was very tough and will cause a certain level of stress for me over the next 8 weeks. I have a buddy who sat for the exam April and October 2014, and he agreed that the October exam was more difficult. I'm torn as to whether or not I should pull out my books (in preparation for April 2015) and continue studying as if Friday never happened!

Any suggestions for getting through the next 8 weeks would be greatly appreciated! Good luck to all.

I agree with you all. Friday's exam was very tough and will cause a certain level of stress for me over the next 8 weeks. I have a buddy who sat for the exam April and October 2014, and he agreed that the October exam was more difficult. I'm torn as to whether or not I should pull out my books (in preparation for April 2015) and continue studying as if Friday never happened!

Any suggestions for getting through the next 8 weeks would be greatly appreciated! Good luck to all.

Beer. Lots and lots of beer.

do not pull the books back out. you need to recharge!!! drink and be merry for the next 8-10 weeks..then only if needed dust them off and start again

Beer. Lots and lots of beer.
honestly, the best thing to do is to not to think about it, i know we all worked hard but thinking about it and feeling bad is not going to change anything, so just relax and just be prepared for the worst , i have made my mind set that i am going to fail. so nothing worst than this can happen. and after one month break i am going to start over again. i am just not thinking about it , because all these four months i did my best and worked hard as much as i can no regrets , because with the kind of exam i think i need more resources and tons of books ,which we all had no clue about.

good luck and stay positive and relax

Back