OCT 2018 - Vertical

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roughly, what is the switch grade between A to IR? is any mistake in the the question kills the question to be A?

Thank you.
Its hard to say.  I know I personally have gotten acceptables on on problems I completely botched.  Its subjective, has to do with luck and how well you can write down your methods and thoughts and not necessarily based on just numbers.

Of course we can never truly know for sure though I have never seen a failing score reported with these results.

A while back a member posted a very involved break down of scoring results @ TehMightyEngineer  I believe.  Check it out.

I would be surprised if they passed you with acceptable on only 50% of the afternoon though.
Still have what I wrote saved:

[SIZE=12pt]What is the cut score for NCEES on the SE exam? I wish I could tell you but unfortunately NCEES keeps their grading method, criteria, and cut score between pass and fail a secret.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]On the NCEES website, [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]under "scoring"[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt], they state the following:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]"When an exam is introduced or when its specifications change, a committee of subject-matter experts works with experienced psychometricians (testing experts with a background in statistics) to determine the level of performance that corresponds with minimal competence in that discipline. This becomes the passing score. NCEES does not publish passing scores because they change with each administration. NCEES scores each exam with no predetermined percentage of examinees that should pass or fail. All exams are scored the same way. First-time takers and repeat takers are graded to the same standard.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]For subsequent administrations of the exam, statistical equating is used to ensure that this level of performance is consistent across multiple administrations of that exam. Essentially, this means that while the numerical passing score may change with each administration, you are not disadvantaged when one administration of a particular exam is more difficult than another. This process accounts for the 8- to 10-week interval between an exam administration and the release of scores to member licensing boards.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Your exam results are determined by the number of items you answered correctly for the exam in its entirety. There are no minimum requirements for particular sections or topics within an exam. You are not penalized for incorrect answers."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Also note this:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]"If the reviews confirm an error in a question, credit may be given for more than one answer."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]So, some things are clear:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=12pt]The cut score changes from exam to exam.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]There is no grading curve.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]The exams are graded so that the cut score reflects a consistent difficulty; easier exams will require a higher score to pass than harder exams.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]You are scored based on your combined performance on both the morning and afternoon of each day.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]However, if you get the very harsh words of "unacceptable" on your exam results you will be given a diagnostic report which will grade your morning problems as number answered correctly, and your afternoon problems as either acceptable, improvement required, or unacceptable. No indication of what "improvement required" or "unacceptable" is given.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The following are my conclusions which are entirely based on interpretation of limited data and my own assumptions. I could be completely incorrect (but would like to think I'm close).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Based on scores people have reported after failing the SE exam I've developed the following conclusions:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=12pt]You need approximately 28-30 correct on the morning from what I can tell.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]If you have a good morning score then you likely need two "acceptable" and two "improvement required" scores for buildings, or two "acceptable" (one of these being the 2 hour problem) and an "improvement required" for bridges.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]If you have a less than 30 morning score then you likely need three "acceptable" and one "improvement required" for buildings, or two "acceptable" (one of these being the 2 hour problem) and an "improvement required" for bridges.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]As best I can tell, if you get an unacceptable on any of the afternoon problems then you will not pass. Perhaps if you have a near perfect morning score then you may pass but this would be hard to determine based on limited information.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]It has been confirmed that not completing a problem but listing out steps or rough calculations can get you an “acceptable” score for an afternoon problem.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]This is based on 43 vertical and lateral scores that were reported, about 50% buildings and 50% bridges. Most of the reported scores for bridges were on the lateral day while most building scores were from the vertical day. I’m not sure if this would skew the results or not.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The highest scores on the morning that still failed were the following:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=12pt]35/40 - Acceptable, Acceptable, Unacceptable[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]33/40 - Acceptable, Acceptable, Acceptable, Unacceptable[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]32/40 - Acceptable, Improvement Required, Improvement Required, Unacceptable[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]31/40 - Acceptable, Improvement Required, Improvement Required, Improvement Required[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]31/40 - Acceptable, Acceptable, Improvement Required, Unacceptable[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]30/40 - Acceptable, Improvement Required, Improvement Required, Unacceptable[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]30/40 - Acceptable, Acceptable, Unacceptable[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]30/40 - Acceptable, Acceptable, Unacceptable, Unacceptable[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]The highest scores on the afternoon that still failed were as follows (some of these are duplicates from above in highest morning scores):[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=12pt]25/40 - Acceptable, Acceptable, Acceptable[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]20/40 - Acceptable, Acceptable, Acceptable, Acceptable[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]22/40 - Acceptable, Acceptable, Acceptable, Improvement Required[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]33/40 - Acceptable, Acceptable, Acceptable, Unacceptable[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]27/40 - Acceptable, Acceptable, Acceptable, Unacceptable[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]35/40 - Acceptable, Acceptable, Unacceptable[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]31/40 - Acceptable, Improvement Required, Improvement Required, Improvement Required[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

Back