Oct 2015

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much right for most of us
Which I think might be a good thing. If many of us found the AM to be really difficult, the cut score should be adjusted accordingly. I'm hoping for a cut score of 45/80. 

Which I think might be a good thing. If many of us found the AM to be really difficult, the cut score should be adjusted accordingly. I'm hoping for a cut score of 45/80. 
I found the AM very difficult.  I was routinely finishing my practice exams in 2 to 2-1/2 hours with review.  The actual test took me the entire 4 hours.  Everyone else I talked to had a similar experience.  I think its partially because it was truly a harder test, and partially because it was the big show - everyone was second guessing and taking extra time to review.

I agree Matt it should be or at least I hope, I haven't heard from anybody that the AM was a breeze. The general consensus I see is the AM was rough and PM was not too bad

I agree Matt it should be or at least I hope, I haven't heard from anybody that the AM was a breeze. The general consensus I see is the AM was rough and PM was not too bad
Yeah guys. Morning was hard. I took structural for PM and felt a lot better than the morning. 

Yeah guys. Morning was hard. I took structural for PM and felt a lot better than the morning. 
I took civil/structural as well. I also took EET's prep course for just the morning breadth since they didn't have one for structural depth. After taking EET's course, I think that 30-32 of the morning problems were doable/reasonable with EET's training. However the last 8 of those were for me the hydraulics questions, and they were killer. There was also one problem that was structural which I also thought they didn't give enough information on. EET never went over a problem like it without giving more information.

I took civil/structural as well. I also took EET's prep course for just the morning breadth since they didn't have one for structural depth. After taking EET's course, I think that 30-32 of the morning problems were doable/reasonable with EET's training. However the last 8 of those were for me the hydraulics questions, and they were killer. There was also one problem that was structural which I also thought they didn't give enough information on. EET never went over a problem like it without giving more information.
that is EET stand for? Do they offer online training or on site training or sell prep material

I concur.  I also took the structural test.  The morning hydraulics were pretty rough for me, and its normally a subject I do well at.  The structural problems in the AM were way more difficult that I anticipated.  Luckily it was my depth, so I think I did well, but I could see a lot of other Civils having trouble.

However the last 8 of those were for me the hydraulics questions, and they were killer. There was also one problem that was structural which I also thought they didn't give enough information on. EET never went over a problem like it without giving more information.
In broad (safe) terms, I'm pretty sure hydraulics questions can be solved with unit conversions and the Energy Equation into one equation with one missing variable.  Most structural problems (in general) seem to be solvable with shear and moment diagrams, but the problem you're referring to had a twist to it for sure... Shouldn't say more for obvious reasons though!

Was talking to my dad (took his PE back in the late 70's) and he told me they didn't get their results until February or March.

Apparently the exam at the time was the exact same as one of the practice tests floating around, so there was a big fuss that delayed the review process a few months.

I asked him how he kept from going insane during the wait.

His response,

"lots of drugs"

Guess we could have it worse.
Your post made me laugh!

Thank you :)  I needed it

They took things in an unexpected direction with some of the Civil AM problems, but they were kind enough to give us a break in the afternoon.

it stands for engineering education and training http://www.eet-california.com/ They offer in person (but only in california) or webinar. I took the webinar, and just watched it/did the homework at my own pace. There were lots of problems/concepts I'd have no idea how to have approached if I had self-studied again this time around. The morning portion is almost 30% construction concepts (proj. planning, means and methods and site development), and I just didn't think there was enough prep material out there that we could buy to teach us those concepts. EET's construction professor taught these very well and went over tons of examples just like the test questions.

to both of you guys commenting about the hydraulics questions, I agree with kaerous but patrick I partly disagree with. I currently do hydraulics (have for the past year, did structural for 3 years prior) and I still struggled with these questions. They just seem unnecessarily convoluted. But I'm sure we each had a subject we felt this way about. If you're structural you realize those who don't do structural for a living shouldn't beat themselves up over not getting some of those problems. Maybe they make it that way so that we're equally disadvantaged and it evens out in the long run.

that is EET stand for? Do they offer online training or on site training or sell prep material
Engineer Education and Training ... I also attended. It's a webinar class. It's great!

That hydraulic question....!! we did something similar in class but in the test was stated wrong and poorly written! 

took Petro

morning was very hard, afternoon was easier

lots of word problems this time where you had to look up answers in one of the 30 books you brought

nothing related to practice exams or anything you actually do on the job 

to both of you guys commenting about the hydraulics questions, I agree with kaerous but patrick I partly disagree with. I currently do hydraulics (have for the past year, did structural for 3 years prior) and I still struggled with these questions. They just seem unnecessarily convoluted.
It's entirely possible I fell into some traps laid to catch someone looking for an easy answer.  :suicide1:

Back