Oct 2015

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling doubts.....tick tock tick tock [emoji936][emoji37]
Nature of the beast CHE. I felt good coming out, but since then have been feeling up and down about it. These next 6-8 weeks will test your patience and confidence for sure (if it hasn't already).

Mods can delete post above, i accidently typed into the quoted paragraph.

I also took the Transportation Depth and had about the same results. I felt terrible after the morning session. I feel several of the quesitons were of the "afternoon" caliber in concept, based on the review course I took. The morning session kind of took the wind out of my sails. The afternoon portion, i feel better about. Expected most of the poroblems, but still had to guess on a few. Hopefully i did well enough in the evening to makeup for my poor performance in the morning.

Proctor in my group kept snorting his nose often. Loudest person in the room.

Hopefully I don't have to take it again, but will be very close for me I believe. Will be prepared either way.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel. I just don't like feeling like I'm that close to the cut score. I wish we could find more people that took HVAC!

Im thinking that my actual score will land right around the cut score if cut score is 54-56/80. Thus if I fail it wouldnt be by much and same if I pass. I'd hate to retake exam but I definitely would retake it in April because I worked to hard to give up on PE dreams that easily.

Yeah would be nice to hear another HVAC opinion out there. But hell, at this point, I'm believing I'll be seeing that "P" come December. Might as well think positive.

DEFINITELY at the stage now where I've successfully convinced myself i failed (and failed within a fraction of the passing score). i guess im curious to know how many PE electrical power peeps came outta the exam feeling ok, then convinced themselves within a week that they failed, only to be pleasantly surprised to have passed? definitely need to get some Xanax to make the next several weeks livable.

DEFINITELY at the stage now where I've successfully convinced myself i failed (and failed within a fraction of the passing score). i guess im curious to know how many PE electrical power peeps came outta the exam feeling ok, then convinced themselves within a week that they failed, only to be pleasantly surprised to have passed? definitely need to get some Xanax to make the next several weeks livable.
It's all part of the process. Have a look at this guy's recap:

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=25554&page=3#entry7301404

hey y'all! I've been trolling the boards for a while on and off but this is my first time posting! Just took the PE Power exam this past Friday and of course can't think about anything else but results! I feel like I did okay in both the morning & afternoon... based on feeling okay, is that a good sign I probably passed??? JUST PARANOID AS FUCK. thanks in advance :)
I took PE Power as well. I kinda feel the same for a moment that I did ok and I will pass but not fully confident that i will pass.

hey y'all! I've been trolling the boards for a while on and off but this is my first time posting! Just took the PE Power exam this past Friday and of course can't think about anything else but results! I feel like I did okay in both the morning & afternoon... based on feeling okay, is that a good sign I probably passed??? JUST PARANOID AS FUCK. thanks in advance :)
I took PE Power as well. I kinda feel the same for a moment that I did ok and I will pass but not fully confident that i will pass.
I took the PE Power Exam for the first time last Friday, but do not feel "okay" at all. I found that I was flipping way too much trying to pick the low-hanging fruits. I couldn't stop getting nervous about time running out on me. I felt bruised and down in a pit at the end of the exam. I felt that I got a lot of them right, but cannot really tell exact whether there were a lot that would add up to a passing grade. I figure if one can get about 56+ correct, then the chance of passing is good. I spent the rest of Friday and the whole weekend thinking about these problems and try to solve whatever I could remember in my head & on paper - it drove me crazy! I'm getting ready to look for a review class in order to ready myself for the 2nd round :-(

Yeah would be nice to hear another HVAC opinion out there. But hell, at this point, I'm believing I'll be seeing that "P" come December. Might as well think positive.

So I finally found another ME that took the HVAC exam last Friday. We were pretty much feeling the exact same way, so that made me feel a little more confident about passing the exam. That was until I thought of another question in the morning session that I guessed between 2 answers and realized I got it wrong.... The official count is now 7... put a healthy (and reasonable) safety factor of 3 to 4 on that and I'm borderline pass/fail again...

I took the PE Power Exam for the first time last Friday, but do not feel "okay" at all. I found that I was flipping way too much trying to pick the low-hanging fruits. I couldn't stop getting nervous about time running out on me. I felt bruised and down in a pit at the end of the exam. I felt that I got a lot of them right, but cannot really tell exact whether there were a lot that would add up to a passing grade. I figure if one can get about 56+ correct, then the chance of passing is good. I spent the rest of Friday and the whole weekend thinking about these problems and try to solve whatever I could remember in my head & on paper - it drove me crazy! I'm getting ready to look for a review class in order to ready myself for the 2nd round :-(
[SIZE=medium]I have mixed feelings too. I have been trying to think hard to figure how many I got correct and how many I did get wrong. But I couldn’t think of all 80 questions. My brain is not working on it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]As of now I am sure I got 50 correct and 5 wrong and I remember I made almost 15 wild guesses.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]But the rest 10 questions i really cant think what those are. I bet I didn’t make as many wild guess that I should count these 10 to them too. That is what bothering me. What are these rest of 10 questions. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]It was my 1st[/SIZE] time taking the PE. I noticed that there were 13 questions on NEC and NESC code. Which seems unusual, even NCEES exam specs for electrical power says max of 10 questions.

[SIZE=medium]But anyway these code questions are the ones that gave me a little hope. I am sure I got every single one correct. What would you guys think. What is the % or ratio to get no of problems right when you do wild guesses. What is my chances to pass the test gives: 50correct 5 wrong and 15 wild guesses and I don’t know what happened to rest 10 questions. [/SIZE]

MEPE_FEA, AK Eyes ... another HVAC here, and I'm fairly sure I gave my best shot at joining your bring-down-the-cut-score team on Friday (go teamwork!). I've been studying for a solid 6 months, took the SOPE class, came into the exam feeling like I was going to be that guy that finishes way early and dances out of the room ... ended up being the complete opposite. Certain questions referenced things I hadn't even heard of and couldn't find mention of in any of my resources, certain problems I swore I knew how to do weren't resulting in answers even close to the choices ... Really hoping I'm just being overly hard on myself, but to go in feeling so prepared and leave out feeling borderline devastation is quite the pill to swallow.

I'm going to try to stay positive like DontStopBelieving though ... but it's going to be a looong two months based on how this first post-exam week has felt.

MEPE_FEA, AK Eyes ... another HVAC here, and I'm fairly sure I gave my best shot at joining your bring-down-the-cut-score team on Friday (go teamwork!). I've been studying for a solid 6 months, took the SOPE class, came into the exam feeling like I was going to be that guy that finishes way early and dances out of the room ... ended up being the complete opposite. Certain questions referenced things I hadn't even heard of and couldn't find mention of in any of my resources, certain problems I swore I knew how to do weren't resulting in answers even close to the choices ... Really hoping I'm just being overly hard on myself, but to go in feeling so prepared and leave out feeling borderline devastation is quite the pill to swallow.

I'm going to try to stay positive like DontStopBelieving though ... but it's going to be a looong two months based on how this first post-exam week has felt.

"Really hoping I'm just being overly hard on myself, but to go in feeling so prepared and leave out feeling borderline devastation is quite the pill to swallow."

Exactly! I don't know how I'm going to get through the next 2 months. I'm trying to sign up for classes for Spring 2016 semester and have no clue what to do. If I have to take the exam again in April I want to take the easiest classes possible.

Man you came in from Illinois! They don't administer the test there? Did you have to get approval from the TBPE to take the exam in Texas? Honestly, I've never understood exactly how that works. Let's say I do pass, would I have to take this exam again to get licensed in another state? Or would I just have to do the state specific required application process (Texas is an ethics exam, SER, etc.; Alaska there is a required Arctic Engineering grad class you have to take).

Yeah I came from IL to take the exam and definitely they administer the PE exam here in IL as well...but I believe (I may be wrong) TX would have more opportunities for PE (mechanical) than any state in midwest...I think once you have the PE from one state, you don't need to take the exam again, you ill have to just complete the state specific application process...

awww misery loves company, so i guess im finding comfort in knowing i'm not the only one who went into the PE power exam feeling totally prepared and am sure a week later that i failed. i was running yesterday during lunch and remembered another question i felt good about at the time but now am pretty sure i got wrong, so of course I keep adding up the #s in my head to see how close i am to still passing. if problems are thrown out, the quantity of correct answers is just diminished, right? like instead of needing 56 right, we need 55 or 54 etc? it doesn't go from 56/80 to 54/78 i assume, right? because that would actually be worse. i think the worst part of the entire thing is the 6 min per question.....that's a lot of shit in 8 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
also, what have people typically seen regarding curves in april vs October exams? any sort of pattern in pass rates?

Last edited by a moderator:
So does that mean the cut score is typically lower in October than in April? The general consensus seems to be that that was a really difficult exam so will the pass rates stay similar (percentage wise) to what they have been in the past?

Also, if the test is analyzed/curved, etc. why is it that on average ME's pass rate is like 75-80% and CE's is typically like 50-60%? Has anyone ever figured this out?

cut score....

n36407504_31735415_1766.jpg

Latest posts

Back