Oct 2013 Mechanical PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can say what worked for me years ago:

Cover to cover on the MERM (minus the math section) solving all problems in the separate problem book. This took about 6-8 weeks, but I am a bit fuzzy on that. The 6MS book for the depth section for which I signed up, again all problems. I don't think that I had time to completely go through all the sample exams, but I passed on the first try.

My philosophy was "If brute force isn't working, you're not using enough."

[SIZE=9.5pt]I passed the Mechanical Systems exam on the first try. For me, the MERM problems and the 6MS problems were both very helpful. The MERM problems were more involved, but they really helped me learn the MERM and how to quickly locate equations during the exam. I would recommend doing all of the MERM problems for chapters 14-59, 69 (12 edition). I skipped the problems labeled 1 hour except for my depth section. After mastering the MERM problems, I switched to the 6MS books. These books prepared me get the timing of the exam down. After reviewing the 6MS problems, I took the NCEES practice exam and then reviewed the MERM and 6MS problems where I had the most trouble.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]In addition to the MERM, my other main reference during the exam was Shigley (5th edition). I didn't do any problems from the book, but I skimmed and tabbed the book. I also studied the example problems throughout the book, which I found very helpful. Don't forget the Unit Conversion book. It is very helpful for studying and during the exam. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]For the breadth part of the exam, if you know the MERM cold you will be fine. For the afternoon module, the MERM and Shigley are a must. Like everyone else has said on this forum, do as many practice problems as possible. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]If anyone is interested I'm going to list the 6MS books, unit conversion book, and MERM practice problem book in the classifieds soon. I want to keep the MERM and Shigley for reference.[/SIZE]

SMott,

I should have predicated the Shigley's comment with the fact that I did machine design. For other depths, I doubt that it's needed.

What I eventually discovered is that most machine design questions in any 6 minute format (e.g., 6ms or sample tests) were practically canned questions from Shigley's. What I did was about one Chapter a week. Read the chapter quickly, but noted all of the important results. There are hundreds of equations in the derivations, you want to cut through to the results. I made pencil notes, then went back to type them up. This forced me to understand each term in each equation. Then, once I had some chapters under my belt, I did some 6ms problems using my typed notes.

I would do the Chapters in order, because they build on each other. You really, really have to understand stress and strain up to failure modes, and this is hard. But If your not getting it, move on and come back to it. Things are much easier the second and third time.

As for 6 minute problems, I had all 3 6ms books, the NCEES practice exam, assorted problems from the old NCEES practice exam, and lindeburg practice exam. That's a lot of 6 minute problems.

Which brings up another advantage of doing lots of 6 minute problems. As you iterate between studying and problem solving, you'll get a good feel for what will be on the exam. You'll be able to confidently say, "I'm not getting any further into this chapter, this just can't show up in a 6 minute problem."

I want to hammer something home. Shigley's is a big, scary book, but there a literally fewer than five equations in each chapter that are going to solve you problems. You have to reduce the contents of these chapters down to the elegant results and go solve problems.

I passed, Materials & Machine Design afternoon session, first time taking the test. Though after I got out, with how difficult the afternoon was and that I didn't have Shigley, I thought for sure I would be retaking it.

I did A LOT of problems from the MREM practice problems book (13th edition) and then did all the questions from two different NCEES sample exam books. I think I did close to 500 practice problems.

Back