Oct 2013 Mechanical PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's hard to believe that 3 weeks have passed since the exam. On the other hand, it seems like time is really dragging as we wait for the results.

As I figured...failed.

I'm sorry Smott. I passed this time; it was my third try. I constantly had to tell myself that a test or it's results do not define who we are or how good we are at what we do. Years from now you'll look back and chuckle about what a royal pain this was.

Congrats! I knew before taking the exam that I wasn't prepared.

I wish I could access my diagnostic report. That's really what I've been waiting on to get.

You'll knock it out of the park next time, SMott. I understand you had some unexpected things happen that interfered with your exam preparation. It took me a second time to pass the Thermal/Fluids Systems exam. Work as many problems as you can in your selected area and you'll do great.

Sorry you did not pass SMott! But now you have some good test experience under your belt and I am sure you will pass this time in April.

I passed. Sorry to hear that Smott. you had a lot going on and frame of mind can change everything. Having lost a few loved ones I know firsthand that resuming normal life becomes a challenge, studying/taking a professional exam after that would be a goliath task. I wish you the very best for the next time. you have experience and better feel for the test. Good luck and as always your friends at engineerboards.com are here for any help! :)

Thanks everyone! Yes, I'll pass in April. According to my report, I did 100 percent on fluids...go figure! My next best area was materials. Maybe they can make a materials and fluids afternoon depth for me...ha!

Congrats to those who passed!

I passed Mech HVAC. Congrats to all the new PEs and good luck to all the ones who need to retake it.

BTW...if it helps to know, the fluids chapter in MERM was the one I spent most time reviewing, followed by the materials chapters. I don't think it's a coincidence that those were my highest scoring areas on the exam.

BTW...if it helps to know, the fluids chapter in MERM was the one I spent most time reviewing, followed by the materials chapters. I don't think it's a coincidence that those were my highest scoring areas on the exam.

I agree. Makes sense considering how hard some of the MERM problems are.

^^

I recommend not to get bogged down in the MERM problems. They are too long to be productive. By the time you finish these problems, you've not only wasted 45 minutes looking up things you will never have to look up on the test, but your too exhausted to profit from the experience.

It's much better to spend that time on 6-minute type problems. You get in the rhythm and flow of PE exam problem solving, you feel better because you finish many problems per hour, and you see lots of problem/concept types quickly.

In short, the MERM puts you in a negative feedback loop that crushes your studying. 6-minute type problems put you in a positive feedback loop.

I passed the first time, and I am 100 percent certain this is because I set down the MERM in late July and switched to Shigley and 6MS.

Hey majormajor, other than the 6MS problems, are there other problems you recommend? And how did you review shigleys (read chapters, work problems)? I didn't spend a lot of time on reading shigleys, but did find it useful as a reference.

Same here, I am not sure what to start on with Shigleys. I am wondering if I should use it as a reference or actually work problems from it. It seems like it will be helpful though.

I used it as a reference, but if working problems is a benefit that's what I'll do. As far as problems from MERM, I'm undecided. I know that reading and working all associated problems in the chapters I did cover worked great, but it is a long tedious study process to go that route.

If 6MS is really a better way to go to prep for the exam, I might do that instead. I really need to get the books to see how similar they are to the real test, though.

Back