Oct 2013 Mechanical PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
So? How'd it go?

More importantly (HAHA) what color was the pencil and what did you have for lunch?

Remember, don't reveal any information that could get you into trouble. NCEES monitors the board regularly at exam time.

^^

Lol!

Well, it went!

Pencil? What pencil? You mean I wasn't supposed to keep everything all in my head?!

Lunch? So that's what that intermission was for! I was trying to find someone to give my answers to for scoring.

Joking aside, it went pretty not bad. Felt over prepared for the AM, could have spent more time concentrating on my afternoon (mechanical systems).

Also, PB&J.

Well, for me, I'm sure to be a repeat taker in April. I just had too much happen with my dad having a stroke, taking care of him, traveling out of state a few times a month to deal with power of attorney and other family issues resulting from his health decline...causing my studying to take a back seat.

Life happens, I knew going in it wasn't going to go well. I figured it would be good, but expensive, practice for next time.

My pencil was white with red trim. I ate pizza from the concession stand for lunch.

SMott,

It is unfortunate that you were not able to bring a lunch of your choosing. Avoiding stomach problems is an issue for some people, and that is something that could put undue stress on them.

Obviously, your other issues are also ill-timed, but taking hard times in stride is what keeps us from going crazy.

I think it went pretty well. I actually got done with the morning section in 2.5 hours and the afternoon one with 15 minutes to spare. Alot of the previous examinees gave account of if the percentage was like it was in the layout, I honestly dont remember how many questions came from which. Truth be told, I dont remember the questions too so you are safe there NCEES :p . But I do remember finding them easy. I think other than one question in the TFS in which I could have found out an answer through some complex integration as it was similar to one of the trick questions my professors gave in my undergrad but I just didnt have the energy left and chose to guess and one question which I think may have been wrong , it was smooth sailing for me.

But here is something I took great offense in ( and posting it here for the betterment of future test takers). The Texas Board of PE's instruction CLEARLY states that no backpacks and no food allowed. Heres the link : http://engineers.texas.gov/lic_pe_exinfo.htm

I followed the instructions and carried my three to four books (including one big heavy MERM) and waited in line for 15 minutes and had my lunch in my car's trunk. People there had brought more food to the exam then there is in my fridge adn there were people with backpacks, trolleys, suitcases ( yes, many had all three!). I have travelled internationally where I have taken less luggage.

My problem and frustration was: why on earth do you have the restrictions on the website and then not follow it? They have more restrictions too, like no cheating in the exam. How am i supposed to know which of your own laws are you going to follow. I do plan on bringing up this issue for the betterment of future test takers. If I knew better, I could have made my life simpler and taken food/drinks and books in a backpack!

SMott, I'm sorry to hear that. I thought you'd do well, even though you had your personal issues. :(

I feel good about the exam. The morning I rocked. Finished with an hour to spare. The afternoon was tough, but doable. I went to the end of the time, but a couple questions I had to make educated guesses on. I couldn't find the answer in any of my reference materials (MERM, Shigley, Machinery's Handbook, and a few others). It was annoying, because all I needed was some data from a table. Oh well. Maybe it would have been in Mark's, but I don't have that book.

Lunch consisted of some subway I had bought the day before (kept it in a cooler), and Futurama on a laptop in the parking lot. :D

uzairsyedahmed, sorry to hear that about the backpack! I brought a large container on a handtruck. Easy to wheel, and protected in case of rain. Glad to hear you did well though.

Most of all - I am glad it's over with!

I had been studying intensly, and had I been able to continue I would have been better prepared. I just studied when I had time.

I look at it like this, it's just a test, and I can take it again. I do not regret putting my dad first. Once someone is gone, you can't get that time back.

I'll get it next time. I'm just thankful I have the opportunity for a next time.

I am glad to hear that everyone seems to have done well. I can't wait for you all to get results and tell us you've passed!

This is the first time I am posting here. I was silent member for last couple of months, thanks to everyone for all the supports. My concentration was TF.

The exam was not too bad. Specially I was too panicked with the morning session before the exam as I couldn't got time to study most of the topics(Statics, Kinetics, Economics, Vibration, Mechanics of Machinery) but surprisingly the questions were so reasonable that I was able to solve by using MERM in the exam hall.

Some questions in the afternoon session were really tricky but for me 50% of the questions were not difficult. I feel like few questions was not fair as those requires books/Manual other than regular texts.

Does anybody know how much needed to pass?

This was my second time to take the exam. My afternoon module was Thermal & Fluids Systems. I feel quite a bit better than I did last April, but I still don't want to get my hopes up! It was interesting to note the differences in the way topics were weighted between this exam and the last one.

The approach I took for exam preparation this time around was to work as many problems as I possibly could, over and over, until the material became second nature.

SMott - the way that you've been so supportive of everyone, in spite of your situation, is really admirable. If you end up needing to take the exam again, I'm confident you'll pass easily.

Best of luck to everyone.

SMott, that's a great way to look at it. Family should be #1. And thanks for the support!

knight1fox3, that's hilarious. :rotflmao:

The cut score is actually determined by the integral of the Flake Eqn:

the_flake_equation.png

Hahaha...that's an awesome formula you got there!

I'm not sure how admiral I really am. Having already dealt with loosing a loved one before, I know it's best to make the most of the time you have.

I figure the main reason most of us are here is for help, support, and encouragement when dealing with the stress if preparing, taking, and waiting for results of this exam. Each of us has either gone through, is in the middle of, or will go through this process. It makes us a team, in a way. I think anyone who tries to become liscensed should be commended, as many never even attempt to make the effort.

Besides, where else can you see/post half the stuff you see on these boards. (see formula above)^^^

The formula is hilarious!

I second Smott. We should realize the importance of sharing the experience here for future test takers to take comfort out of. I think I was reasonably well prepared in a short amount of time (2.5 months) because I spent my spare time reading up forum topics and found great comfort in knowing that others have gone through exactly what I have and shared so much on what helped them that I could put it to use.

Lets hope this wait ends soon now.. its already a week today! Time flies :)

I remember after I took the FE exam and also after I took the PE exam the first time, the results took right at 5-1/2 weeks to be posted. That would put me into the first week of December.

I took the FE in PA, and we didn't get results until January. I took the PE in NJ this year, and if I recall NJ released scores earlier than many states.

Back