Oct 2012 PE Exam (How did you do?)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bhook20 I took the geotech and I used rhe same word to describe the morning's portion brutal. I took it once before in April and it was not as bad as this times morning. I came out and one guy was saying it wasn't that bad. I hope he was mechanical. I am not feeling great about it.
I agree, I can say morning and Geotech afternoon was brutal.

It took "Electric Drives" by Mohan with an incorrect assumption that there probably wasn't much they could ask about machines that wasn't already on the sample exams.
Hah! Back in college (~2005), Ned Mohan was the professor for my Electric Drives class. Small freakin' world. Dude wasn't that great of a teacher.

It took "Electric Drives" by Mohan with an incorrect assumption that there probably wasn't much they could ask about machines that wasn't already on the sample exams.
Hah! Back in college (~2005), Ned Mohan was the professor for my Electric Drives class. Small freakin' world. Dude wasn't that great of a teacher.
I guess that explains the book then... it wasn't very good either..

I took the Civil Construction depth PE in Colorado. The morning was not too bad, but I did have work until the last minute trying to get as many problems correct as possible. The afternoon was difficult with a few common sense or experience related problems thrown in there. I feel that I have a good chance to pass, but you never know. I guess I'll just sit back a wait until NCEES sends the email out second week of December. If I fail, then I will immediately begin studding for the April exam. After seeing the exam for the first time last Friday, I feel that the difficulty is not out of reach for me so I'll continue to grind it out until I pass the darn thing.
i took it for the first time in oct 11 without studying for one millisecond and i didnt even bring any reference materials haha. i was convinced by my friends (who had all failed it at least once) that you can't pass it the first time so you are better off just failing it and seeing what its like, then going for it hard the next time. anyway i ended up failing with 53/80...which was even more annoying because i realized that if i had just brought some books or studied a little bit i probably could have passed easily, which is exactly what i did in april 12!

i took it for the first time in oct 11 without studying for one millisecond and i didnt even bring any reference materials haha. i was convinced by my friends (who had all failed it at least once) that you can't pass it the first time so you are better off just failing it and seeing what its like, then going for it hard the next time. anyway i ended up failing with 53/80...which was even more annoying because i realized that if i had just brought some books or studied a little bit i probably could have passed easily, which is exactly what i did in april 12!
If you are going to throw down hundreds of dollars and hours of your time to take the exam, you might as well bring books and hope to get lucky your first time. It seems like a monumental waste of time and money to just "wing it" like you did.

If you are going to throw down hundreds of dollars and hours of your time to take the exam, you might as well bring books and hope to get lucky your first time. It seems like a monumental waste of time and money to just "wing it" like you did.
+1 :appl:

I took the environmental down in orlando fl. I failed back in april so took it again in oct.

This one seemed not as tough, but I did have a few more references with me, which I found out I did really need from the April exam

I took the Civl/Enviro PE in 2007 and passed (I thought i was pretty easy, actually). I was fortunate enough to have to take it again because of the Ohio Regs and my degree in engineer techology - they tell me I didn't have enough time between FE and PE per the OH regs (8 yrs vs 4 yrs in PA - and they wouldn't grant me reciprocity from PA with additional experience).

Anyway - I took Civil/WR in and thought that the AM was more difficult than the last time, and the afternoon was pretty easy. Morning was about 95% from the CERM. Afternoon was tougher but not impossible (if you had the right references). I was actualyl surpirsed by the general lack of a number of types of questions. But overall I think I passed (again).

Brian

Took Civil/Structural for the 2nd time this past Friday. Not feeling good at all in fact I almost guarantee that I did not pass. Not because I did not know the material but rather my poor test taking skill!! Feeling anxious/nerves and lack of clear concise concentration (due to it) I believe was my downfall. I studied (both times) systematically, methodically and logged over 220++ hours each time. I was a PE study monk. Lived it, Ate it, Slept it. I took School OF PE class and attended every minute of every class. I still wake up with the Darcy-Weisbach equation in my head. The AM was tough, the structural problems were cake, water resource was tough. I just got flustered and flustered equated to dumb mistakes. PM was fair, a few questions that stumped me. It bothers me so much that the questions I was stuck on I figured out within 5 minutes (2) days after the exam at the breakfast table...The problems just pop in my head, hahaha.....Only if there was a few points for effort and determination.....sooooo frustrating ahhh!

Agreed wvgirl14, the correct easy solution comes to you too late....At least I have the confidence that I know the material outside of a timed atmosphere, but that is not enough to get me the stamp.....April is a ways off for me...blaahhhh....I wish you the best of luck, if you stumbled on only a couple I am sure you will be fine.

I took the Civil Construction after failing in April. I got 52/80 in April and thought the exam was easier but got fooled by lots of distractor questions. This time October 2012. I think the exam overall was harder than April but I don't think I got fooled by many. Trick Questions. hopefully as this October was harder. The passing score will be lower

Structeng, I didn't only stumble on a couple. I just knew how to do those 2. Unfortunately I struggled with a few so I am not feeling confident. Good luck to you! It sucks having to retake. I have been there once before as well.

Took PE Mechanical with Materials and design for first time in Utah. Managed to go through all answers. Hopefully I did not fall to exam traps and circled wrong answers. I guess will know around December 16, 2012 how I did based on historical trends for result release date.

Don't worry, the world is scheduled to end about a week after PE results are released. 2012 and all that. :wave2:

well let me elaborate a bit. i had to take the FE on friday and the PE the very next day. i studied for the FE to make sure that i at least passed that one which i did. tbh the FE was MUCH harder in my opinion taking them both at age 31, 8 years out of undergrad. also it didnt help that the night before the FE was probably the best game ever played game 6 of the 2011 WS where freese hit the walk off in extras, and then that next night was game 7! so my real goal for last oct was to pass the FE and i really thought i had NO SHOT at passing the PE, turned out it was way easier than i was expecting.

well let me elaborate a bit. i had to take the FE on friday and the PE the very next day. i studied for the FE to make sure that i at least passed that one which i did. tbh the FE was MUCH harder in my opinion taking them both at age 31, 8 years out of undergrad. also it didnt help that the night before the FE was probably the best game ever played game 6 of the 2011 WS where freese hit the walk off in extras, and then that next night was game 7! so my real goal for last oct was to pass the FE and i really thought i had NO SHOT at passing the PE, turned out it was way easier than i was expecting.
SOMETHINGS IS WRONG HERE FRIDAY IS PE DAY, AND SATURDAY IS FE DAY.

Back