OCT 08 PE - Environmental group

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sthak

Reaction score
Friends,

Trying to start a study group for Enviro -Oct 08 exams. Anyone who is applying, let discuss study materials + form a study group that will

help all, to clear the exams.

Let's get it done!

buddying enviro :p10940623:

I'm not, but I have not really started studying yet. I think my brain might explode if I were to start studying right now, with ~6 months to go. I will probably start looking at some review DVDs I got from another member either this weekend or next. Did you take the April exam, or are you going for October?

I took April '08 exam, but will probably start studying again in a couple of weeks for October....so I can be ahead if I didn't pass.

What DVD's are you reviewing? NCState?

I took April '08 exam, but will probably start studying again in a couple of weeks for October....so I can be ahead if I didn't pass.
What DVD's are you reviewing? NCState?
Yup. I have not viewed tham yet, but the set is a Beta version, no menus. I got a sweet deal on them and the notes for $200! I'll let you know what I think. I feel that I need the extra help, since I have failed twice, and would rather not a third time. Also, most of what I do is Phase I and II ESAs, some UST removal and asbestos sampling. I work in a private geotechnical/environmental engineering firm, and while I focus on the tasks above, I also perform some geotechnical investigations. The DVDs should (I hope) get me back up to speed on water/wastewater, as well as air. I'm a little depressed that I need help with the water/wastewater, cuz that was my strong point in school, but I haven't practiced in those areas since graduating, so I guess it is to be expected. Here's hoping you got through the first time! :beerchug:

I have the same DVD's but did not study them much since I got them too late before the test. I did print off all the notes, which was a lot of good information. I had some problems with the DVD's playing correctly though, maybe since I got them from e-bay and were probably copied a thousand times.

Looking forward to my first try this fall. 14 years of experience mostly in remediation, haz waste management. I've studied EERM in the past, found it to be full of massive holes. Just ordered the NC State DVDs in hopes they will be more comprehensive.

^^^ Good luck!!

Let us know if you have any questions as you begin to make preparations. :) There are a few environmental folks around here - what we lack in numbers we make up for in quality! :)

JR

Just a bump to get this thread going...I really need to start organizing myself, re-familiraizing myself with my references, etc. I have the NC State DVDs, and need to go through those. On VYEnviro's recommendation, I also purchased the latest version of the Environmental Law Handbook. Very inclusive, and yes, dry. I will not be reading this thing cover to cover (I am not a masochist), but will learn the contents and how to find things in it. I also have Hazardous Waste Management by LaGrega, my ENVRM (which I read cover to cover for trial #1 in April '07), the Handbook of Environmental Engineering Calculations, Wastewater Engineering by Metcalf and Eddy, the practice problems and solutions, as well as the practice exams from 'the other board'. I have some other refernces, but I was wondering what other people were using/took into the exam? I also take a pocket ref. from my local harware store, that has every conversion in it. Good luck to all on the Oct. '08 exam!

Those are good books, especially Lagrega and Metcalf & Eddy. I know people debate on how many books to bring to the exam - I took as much as I could fit on my rolling luggage rack and there were many questions I would have had to guess had I not taken the books with me. My coworker passed the PE using only ENVRM, but his memory is like a steel trap and I think he guessed well on a lot of problems. I, on the other hand, have a horrible memory and wanted to have as many references as I could to look up facts and equations.

If you are interested in taking more books, I would recommend also taking books on the following topics:

Drinking water (maybe Water Quality and Treatment by AWWA)

Air pollution control

Hydrology

I also printed EPA factsheets on all of the different drinking water regulations, both interim and final rules. This was so much easier than trying to read through CFR during the exam since the factsheets are concise summaries of the important information. In fact, EPA fact sheets are great for a lot of topics because they are concise. Do you have the NCEES sample exam? I found it very helpful, both before and during the exam.

The only thing I would have done differently is I would have copied the table of contents and the indices from all of my references and placed them in my "special" notebook. That way I could determine which book would have the information I was looking for without having to juggle various books at the same time. My "special" notebook remained on my desk for the entire exam and contained all of my conversions, equations, etc. I realized while I was studying that I kept using the same equations over and over again, so instead of having to look it up in ENVRM every time, I listed them on a few sheets of paper. I also listed the definitions for some of the variables in the equations (for ones that I never use in my job and wouldn't remember for the exam) because I found that often in ENVRM, the definition of a variable was on a different page from the equation.

I'm a water/wastewater engineer, so if any of you have questions, let me know. Good luck everyone!

-K

hi - I'm still waiting on results for the April '08 Enviro...

if I'm unlucky (a distinct possibility given the unexpected emphasis of some of the exam - note: I discovered this site AFTER the exam and immediately realized how useful it would have been, so for those of you here, you're already one-up), I just wanted to give a shout-out that I'll be joining in this discussion for Oct '08...

On a side note: can anyone offer any comments as to why they chose the Env over the Civil (w/Env,Water Res PM)? I struggled with this decision, especially as someone who has moved to different states quite a bit, and not all states offer the exam (but most will at least recognize through comity, if I recall correctly). Sorry if this is a misplaced comment for this post, just trying to validate my decision to re-sit for the Env (if necessary) instead of giving the Civil a shot.

hi - I'm still waiting on results for the April '08 Enviro...
if I'm unlucky (a distinct possibility given the unexpected emphasis of some of the exam - note: I discovered this site AFTER the exam and immediately realized how useful it would have been, so for those of you here, you're already one-up), I just wanted to give a shout-out that I'll be joining in this discussion for Oct '08...

On a side note: can anyone offer any comments as to why they chose the Env over the Civil (w/Env,Water Res PM)? I struggled with this decision, especially as someone who has moved to different states quite a bit, and not all states offer the exam (but most will at least recognize through comity, if I recall correctly). Sorry if this is a misplaced comment for this post, just trying to validate my decision to re-sit for the Env (if necessary) instead of giving the Civil a shot.
This was a very tough decision for me to make .

I have a BS. in Env Eng.

I decided to take the Civil (WR/Env) in april08 over the Env Exam for the following reasons:

1) I have over 15 yrs experience in Water Resources

2) The Civil (Wr/Env) is about 60% in Water Related topics. Then I had to learn geotec, construction, structures, transportaion.

3) The Env Pe is about 34% water related topics. The for 66% I had re-learn air pollution, solid & haz waste, enviromental assessments, public health, etc

4) I had more resources to get help in Civil.

5) The Env PE exam seems to have a lot of questions on Laws/codes etc. I was never to good at this in school.

I was thinking if I did not pass the Civil, I would sign up for the Env exam next time.

Thank God I do not Have to think about that anymore.

Good luck

Looks like I will be taking again in Oct '08..........so, let's get this thread going again. I do not want to take a 3rd time!!!!!!!!!!

I chose environmental because I was afraid of the breadth portion of the Civil exam. I have an EnvE degree, and didn't take any transportation or civil courses in college. I figured I would be better off relearning the environmental topics I learned in college than teaching myself the Civil topics that I never learned. Also, I took the exam before they combined the WR and Env sessions. My job only pertains to drinking water and wastewater treatment, so at the time, it appeared that the Env test would be better for me. Now that they've combined WR and Env, I would probably take the Civil exam (if I was taking it for the first time and hadn't already studied the env topics). The transportation and structures would have been good for me to learn as my company has departments in those specialties and the majority of info I learned for the environmental exam I will never use again.

I've opted for the Environmental Exam because:

1. I am most interested in environmental engineering (environmental site assessments, tank pulls, haz mat, etc)

2. Structural scares me (there, I said it)

3. I have been practicing in environmental for the last 5 years, and feel this is where my strength is

4. My state (Colorado) recognizes the environmental PE, and I am still allowed to stamp the geotech reports that I do here and there (If people know that I am incorrect in this statement, please correct me)

Latest posts

Back