Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to hop on this: one of my coworkers recently went on the keto diet due to what one doctor told them to do.  Their main doctor did a blood draw and they were close to kidney failure (like 80% kidney use), due to the keto diet and the heart medication not working well together.  I trust my doctor because he tries to keep you off as much medication as possible (I mean, I'm literally on crazy fish oil pills for my triglycerides, but he wanted me to attempt to lose weight before he made any other decision).  I think a lot of people don't have that great of a relationship with their doctor/only go when they're sick and not for normal check-ups.
What is this "doctor" you speak of? Can I order one on amazon?

Finally able to be back on the horse! Sounds crazy, but amazing how much not working out for 6 weeks to heal causes stress to build and how it almost melts immediately being back. Good luck to everyone and their goals this year! Summer bodies are made in the winter so they say!

@JayKay PE congrats that awesome! 
Thank you!!!  I've never actually 'exercised' traditionally?  Like, I did a ton of horseback riding when I was younger/did eventing, but I never participated in sports or the gym when I was younger.  I think it's crazy that I lost so much?  I hear a lot of people say that once you get past 30 it's really hard to lose weight...maybe because I never tried to lose weight, that's why it's actually working?

What is this "doctor" you speak of? Can I order one on amazon?
I think they come from Europe.  Very fancy.  You might have a delay in shipping, though.  I hear with the new year a lot of people are ordering them.  

@chart94 I get really nervous going to the gym, so I've been forcing myself to go at least once each week because I know if I didn't...it's be really hard to go back.  I believe in you!!!

I think they come from Europe.  Very fancy.  You might have a delay in shipping, though.  I hear with the new year a lot of people are ordering them.  

@chart94 I get really nervous going to the gym, so I've been forcing myself to go at least once each week because I know if I didn't...it's be really hard to go back.  I believe in you!!!
so hard to get back into it but once you are, its worth it. What makes it worse is ive been timid not trying to re-aggravate the muscle, so stretching has become the name of the game now. 

That's just not fair.

(I need to do better about getting my steps in too)
Plot twist: the FitBit is actually attached to SquareDoggo and we play fetch for 5 hours. (I did test this and it does work, muahaha)

Edit: I don't sleepwalk. I sleepsnack.

Last edited by a moderator:
On topic: I have been more active in the past 5 months than I have been since before getting a cushy office job post graduate school. The #1 factor that changed everything (at least, for me) was consistency. Since my natural tendency is, if I'm honest, to be lazy after work, then taking time midday is my best bet. Esp since doc says my blood pressure is trending high (kinda sorta mostly genetic, but still, losing weight will help) it's not high enough to warrant medication (yet) so I'm trying to give an honest attempt. It does also help that I started this WAYYYY before the new year.

I wish I had done this last year but last night the wife and I went and did a hydro-static body fat testing (the one where they submerge you underwater - the wife was wanting us to both know our RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) so we could accurately plan for how many calories we need with our current exercise regime. It was pretty cool. except the wife is now mad that I can enjoy an extra 1500 calories than her... ;)

We had it done at a chiropractors office so we could use our HSA $$ - but its only $45 bucks but I thought the data was really cool..

Also ignore my post about those higli machines at the grocery store, those machines said I was 27% Body Fat and the "pool test" (much more accurate) had me at 20%! (not bad for an old guy)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back