Now we passed, what's next?!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimo

Reaction score
Other than partying what will be the next step?

I hope alooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

No, seriously I'd like to know from experienced members what are the possible chances to get the most benefits from becoming a PE?

my next step is to put away all of my PE study materials that have just been hanging around in limbo waiting for this letter!! lol..

I had a boss once tell me that I really knew no more on the day I find out I pass my PE than I did the day before, so he thinks he shouldn't have to pay more.

Then it occurred to me that I had much better credentials to find another job on the day I pass my PE.

I'm so thankful I don't work for him anymore. (and I didn't wait to pass the PE to find another job!)

I believe that is the only way to get a meaningful jump in pay is to switch companies. Also there is a danger that your existing company that does not want to pay you a meaningful amount more (20-25%) will want you to start stamping drawings for free and thats a big problem so what ever you do keep the fact that you passed a secret especailly if you have no where to jump to and dont want to be pressured into stamping with the threat of being laid off, of course if you think that is a possibility you can keep a voice recorder on you at all times and you could make a few million bucks off a law suite, pressuring people to stamp things they are not comfortable with is bad mojo, irregardless of the reason they are uncomfortable.

Last edited:
I believe that is the only way to get a meaningful jump in pay is to switch companies. Also there is a danger that your existing company that does not want to pay you a meaningful amount more will want you to start stamping drawings for free and thats a big problem so what ever you do keep the fact that you passed a secret.
I don't think you need to keep it a secret.

Best way to make most of the PE, is to switch to another company....or at least threaten to switch.

Companies are willing to reward PEs less and less. There was a recent article in ASCE magazine that said that average PE raise is lower than nonPE, although PE guys still make more than non PE for same level.

I believe that is the only way to get a meaningful jump in pay is to switch companies. Also there is a danger that your existing company that does not want to pay you a meaningful amount more will want you to start stamping drawings for free and thats a big problem so what ever you do keep the fact that you passed a secret.
I don't think you need to keep it a secret.

Best way to make most of the PE, is to switch to another company....or at least threaten to switch.

Companies are willing to reward PEs less and less. There was a recent article in ASCE magazine that said that average PE raise is lower than nonPE, although PE guys still make more than non PE for same level.
If they dont want to give you a fatty raise you can just not stamp anything, and keep ample evidence so if they treaten to fire you over it you can sue them. Nothing says that because you are a PE you have to stamp things, you are taking on a liability when you stamp and the compensation needs to be fatty for that.

I agree that the best way to benefit from becoming a PE financially is to switch the company, but I think in the long run the best way is to have your own small firm, or I was thinking to team up with a small size contractor and do some design-build jobs...so my name will be out in the market and exposed to the developers…also network with some other young fellows PE’s from different trades (mechanical, fire protection, and architects) to do some design work on the side while still working full time.

I agree that the best way to benefit from becoming a PE financially is to switch the company, but I think in the long run the best way is to have your own small firm, or I was thinking to team up with a small size contractor and do some design-build jobs...so my name will be out in the market and exposed to the developers…also network with some other young fellows PE’s from different trades (mechanical, fire protection, and architects) to do some design work on the side while still working full time.
You might not want to confuse architects with structural engineers. Architects make buildings pretty, Structural engineers make them stand up.

:p

That's true but architects can land new jobs structural engineers not

Oh I see this veering into dangerous territory...

The bloody battles between SEs and Archs rages on.

I believe that is the only way to get a meaningful jump in pay is to switch companies. Also there is a danger that your existing company that does not want to pay you a meaningful amount more (20-25%) will want you to start stamping drawings for free and thats a big problem so what ever you do keep the fact that you passed a secret especailly if you have no where to jump to and dont want to be pressured into stamping with the threat of being laid off, of course if you think that is a possibility you can keep a voice recorder on you at all times and you could make a few million bucks off a law suite, pressuring people to stamp things they are not comfortable with is bad mojo, irregardless of the reason they are uncomfortable.
Well, there's a difference between being asked to stamp plans you didn't prepare / weren't under your supervision vs. being asked to stamp plans you did prepare / were under your supervision, regardless of getting a raise for being a PE. If you chicken out of the latter, I sure wouldn't plan on continued employment, which may or may not be a good thing. Regardless, how could you possibly entertain the idea of a lawsuit for being asked to perform in the capacity of a PE (if you are one), if the stamping involved plans you directly prepared or were under your direct supervision? Most people don't make a habit of stamping anything that wasn't btw, raise or not.

Well, there's a difference between being asked to stamp plans you didn't prepare / weren't under your supervision vs. being asked to stamp plans you did prepare / were under your supervision, regardless of getting a raise for being a PE. If you chicken out of the latter, I sure wouldn't plan on continued employment, which may or may not be a good thing. Regardless, how could you possibly entertain the idea of a lawsuit for being asked to perform in the capacity of a PE (if you are one), if the stamping involved plans you directly prepared or were under your direct supervision? Most people don't make a habit of stamping anything that wasn't btw, raise or not.
I plan on stamping things I work on as long as my company carries some errors and omissions insurance. I don’t want to lose everything because of some little screw up at work.

Back