Now that it's been a few days (for most of us).. How is everyone feeling?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read so many times that people didn't feel good about it walking out and then they end up passing. For instance, my buddy in October said that he felt like he for sure failed and yet passed. I, on the other hand, walked out feeling pretty decent and yet failed! So do I just need to take this exam and afterwards think to myself, oh I for sure failed??? That is a joke of a question of course, but honestly I don't understand that....
I think most people are in that boat. Some people really know their stuff and can walk out feeling great. Good for them. For the rest of us there are those handful of questions that you walk out and realize you probably missed or got down to 2 possible answers and just went with your gut. 

The exam does offer incorrect answers that someone knowledgeable on the subject is likely to produce through error, forgotten conversion, wrong formula, ect... I think that is why some leave feeling confident but end up failing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think most people are in that boat. Some people really know their stuff and can walk out feeling great. Good for them. For the rest of us there are those handful of questions that you walk out and realize you probably missed or got down to 2 possible answers and just went with your gut. 

The exam does offer incorrect answers that someone knowledgeable on the subject is likely to produce through error, forgotten conversion, wrong formula, ect... I think that is why some leave feeling confident but end up failing. 
Yeah, apparently I am in one of those categories. Oh well. Press forward! 

I have read so many times that people didn't feel good about it walking out and then they end up passing. For instance, my buddy in October said that he felt like he for sure failed and yet passed. I, on the other hand, walked out feeling pretty decent and yet failed! So do I just need to take this exam and afterwards think to myself, oh I for sure failed??? That is a joke of a question of course, but honestly I don't understand that....
my coworker basically had me convinced i could only miss 10 problems on the test, so i felt like i was on the fence the whole time.  i probably just ended up smoking the **** test.

I have taken the test twice now and am feeling alright. I have recovered much quicker this time than last from the news. But it is quite saddening to see your friends pass and move on as you are stuck in the fail seat until next time. Like @txjennah said, We will get it. Just gotta dig in and press forward.
@txjennah @CivilGuy00...I'm right there with you...another co-worker of mine passed his Electrical PE and his manager sent a message to the entire organization congratulating him on the accomplishment while I'm sitting here, mourning my third failure... ugh... it's been rough not gonna lie, but I won't let this ruin my birthday/Christmas... and yes I already registered for the April '18 exam. 

Gotta pick myself up, dust myself off and keep on trying....I have my health, a manager that lets me study at work, my job doesn't depend on this license alone, a partner that supports my studies but above all, the man upstairs has provided ALL of these things so that I may continue trying. Very of the "nice" things in life have come easy to me, why should this be any different.

Good luck to us warriors who have failed yet keep on trying....

@txjennah @CivilGuy00...I'm right there with you...another co-worker of mine passed his Electrical PE and his manager sent a message to the entire organization congratulating him on the accomplishment while I'm sitting here, mourning my third failure... ugh... it's been rough not gonna lie, but I won't let this ruin my birthday/Christmas... and yes I already registered for the April '18 exam. 

Gotta pick myself up, dust myself off and keep on trying....I have my health, a manager that lets me study at work, my job doesn't depend on this license alone, a partner that supports my studies but above all, the man upstairs has provided ALL of these things so that I may continue trying. Very of the "nice" things in life have come easy to me, why should this be any different.

Ugh, maybe my experience can make you feel better! I passed at first attempt and nobody seems to care unlike your company since most them are PE and passed also at first attempt! So so far only two guys came and said congrats to me and the rest are like nothing happened, aren’t you supposed to pass or that kind of thoughts! I meant it won’t hurt you to just say congrats! I don’t want to make such a big deal but isn’t this license a milestone to an engineer’s career?! I think I care about others’ opinion too much so now I adjust myself and continue to do work harder 

Ugh, maybe my experience can make you feel better! I passed at first attempt and nobody seems to care unlike your company since most them are PE and passed also at first attempt! So so far only two guys came and said congrats to me and the rest are like nothing happened, aren’t you supposed to pass or that kind of thoughts! I meant it won’t hurt you to just say congrats! I don’t want to make such a big deal but isn’t this license a milestone to an engineer’s career?! I think I care about others’ opinion too much so now I adjust myself and continue to do work harder 
Congrats on your pass man.....I'm not looking for validation from others as much as I want to do this for me, to stay relevant, competitive, and to prove to myself that with determination I can do it...

I set the NCEES notification showing I passed to the lock screen on my phone. This serves 2 purposes: 1. It reassures me that this is indeed real, 2. It saves me the time it takes to constantly go to the website and confirm I didn't misread the notice. I guess you could say I'm currently still absorbing and processing the fact that I passed. Doesn't feel real yet. 
Lmao. I did the same thing. Computer too!

So happy to hear that you're going to take the April '18 exam.  By next year you're going to be be on that email chain for passing too.  

Kind of a weird circumstance for me as an IL test taker. We got results from the CTS website on late Friday afternoon. Unfortunately I failed. Does the diagnostic breakdown appear on your NCEES dashboard along with your result once it gets sent to them? I’m hoping I can see my score on Monday once NCEES posts my results. Thanks for the help. 

Kind of a weird circumstance for me as an IL test taker. We got results from the CTS website on late Friday afternoon. Unfortunately I failed. Does the diagnostic breakdown appear on your NCEES dashboard along with your result once it gets sent to them? I’m hoping I can see my score on Monday once NCEES posts my results. Thanks for the help. 
Yes, it does give you a breakdown on your NCEES. This was the 2nd time taking it for me. Fortunately, I passed this go-around. When I failed the first time I took it pretty hard since I took EET courses and studied like a mofo. The craziest part about it was I walked out of that test feeling pretty confident. When I got my results, it showed I failed and failed hard! I didn't even know where to begin to study for attempt number 2. But I was pissed and I used that rage as fuel to do as many practice problems as I could get my hands on. When I walked out of the test this time, I didn't feel very confident.... and yet I passed, go figure. 

For me this was vital. Passing the PE Exam was not only pertinent to keeping my job, but getting a 12% raise as well. So, this was huge for me professionally and financially. It still feels surreal. 

Hang in there to those that didn't pass. Reevaluate your prep strategy and do as many practice problems as you can! 

Yes, it does give you a breakdown on your NCEES. This was the 2nd time taking it for me. Fortunately, I passed this go-around. When I failed the first time I took it pretty hard since I took EET courses and studied like a mofo. The craziest part about it was I walked out of that test feeling pretty confident. When I got my results, it showed I failed and failed hard! I didn't even know where to begin to study for attempt number 2. But I was pissed and I used that rage as fuel to do as many practice problems as I could get my hands on. When I walked out of the test this time, I didn't feel very confident.... and yet I passed, go figure. 

For me this was vital. Passing the PE Exam was not only pertinent to keeping my job, but getting a 12% raise as well. So, this was huge for me professionally and financially. It still feels surreal. 

Hang in there to those that didn't pass. Reevaluate your prep strategy and do as many practice problems as you can! 
Woohoo I envy you!!! 12% rate?!!!! Geez, I only get like $2 bump, **** 

Maybe I'm greedy but I expect this and believe I've earned it. While working towards the PE may have been a requirement in the job description, achieving the license is in my opinion beyond the original scope . That expectation is probably bolstered a bit by the fact that I expect to be voluntold to start signing smaller projects.
If you're voluntold to sign smaller projects then it's definitely time to start discussions for a pay raise.

You failed even with the EET courses? How do you think that happened? I signed up for the depth but hearing you failed the first time after taking those course worries me a bit. 

First, congrats to all who passed!!!!!  :D And, oh, how I wish I could say I passed on my first try, but I cannot. So I am with all you folks who are retaking the exam in April. I have been feeling pretty crappy about myself for failing since I did study very hard on my own. I walked out of both exam sessions knowing that I had done my absolute best and feeling good about that, but also knowing there were several questions on each exam that I really didn't have a clue about, so I figured it could go either way with a pass or fail. I am now starting to remind myself that I am a good engineer and that this one event in life does not define me. Today I registered with NCEES for the April exam and let my state board know, so I am moving forward and mentally preparing myself for the next four months of studying. I am thinking of taking the EET on-demand classes. I am hoping it is well worth the money and I pass in April. I sincerely hope we all pass in April!

You failed even with the EET courses? How do you think that happened? I signed up for the depth but hearing you failed the first time after taking those course worries me a bit. 
DO NOT let worry, or doubt, or any of those negative thoughts creep in to your head! My failure was totally on me, 100%! I even said that in my review of EET. I either psyched myself out, or worse, my dyslexia got the better of me and I was off on filling in my answers on the scantron sheet. The only reason I think that might be true is I only got 10 answers right in the morning. More specifically, I only got 1 out of 7 on the water section, which is my bread and butter. Then, in the afternoon, I did better than average on those same topics (Hydraulics and Hydrology). Afternoon problems are obviously going to be more difficult, and yet I only got 1 problem right in the morning?!!! What happened?!! Your guess is as good as mine.

Regardless, I failed and I owned. Nazrul, who you will get to know with EET, was awesome! He got with me and the few others that failed and went over some topics on a more focused level. He even checked in with me throughout the course to see how I was doing. Just so you know, whether you choose to do On-Demand or Webinar, you can easily do either or. For example, I did On-Demand because of a crazy schedule, having a new baby (number 5!), getting a new job, and moving. On the rare occasion that I was caught up, I would participate in the live Webinar sessions. And I know several people that signed up for the Webinars would watch the recordings later On-Demand if they fell behind or just as a refresher. A lot of flexibility there.

Again, don't let my stupidity discourage you. Another underestimated benefit of doing something like EET is being part of a community. It keeps you motivated, similar to the support you get here on EB. Again, hope any of this helps. I am happy to answer as many questions as you might have, but no matter what, keep the faith!

DO NOT let worry, or doubt, or any of those negative thoughts creep in to your head! My failure was totally on me, 100%! I even said that in my review of EET. I either psyched myself out, or worse, my dyslexia got the better of me and I was off on filling in my answers on the scantron sheet. The only reason I think that might be true is I only got 10 answers right in the morning. More specifically, I only got 1 out of 7 on the water section, which is my bread and butter. Then, in the afternoon, I did better than average on those same topics (Hydraulics and Hydrology). Afternoon problems are obviously going to be more difficult, and yet I only got 1 problem right in the morning?!!! What happened?!! Your guess is as good as mine.

Regardless, I failed and I owned. Nazrul, who you will get to know with EET, was awesome! He got with me and the few others that failed and went over some topics on a more focused level. He even checked in with me throughout the course to see how I was doing. Just so you know, whether you choose to do On-Demand or Webinar, you can easily do either or. For example, I did On-Demand because of a crazy schedule, having a new baby (number 5!), getting a new job, and moving. On the rare occasion that I was caught up, I would participate in the live Webinar sessions. And I know several people that signed up for the Webinars would watch the recordings later On-Demand if they fell behind or just as a refresher. A lot of flexibility there.

Again, don't let my stupidity discourage you. Another underestimated benefit of doing something like EET is being part of a community. It keeps you motivated, similar to the support you get here on EB. Again, hope any of this helps. I am happy to answer as many questions as you might have, but no matter what, keep the faith!
Thanks for this man. I was a bit scared ha. I have talked with him already and watched the "intro" video. Seems like a great guy. I plan on starting the videos earlier than the webinar schedule so I can STAY caught up. I have two kids of my own, both under 5 and I totally am with you on the crazy schedule. 

Thanks for this man. I was a bit scared ha. I have talked with him already and watched the "intro" video. Seems like a great guy. I plan on starting the videos earlier than the webinar schedule so I can STAY caught up. I have two kids of my own, both under 5 and I totally am with you on the crazy schedule. 
I just want to say how much respect I have for people studying for this crazy exam with children.  @Madpiper, all the props for passing while having to raise five kids.  Wow.  That in itself is a huge encouragement to study and pass!

I just want to say how much respect I have for people studying for this crazy exam with children.  @Madpiper, all the props for passing while having to raise five kids.  Wow.  That in itself is a huge encouragement to study and pass!
Indeed! I had (4) years of grad school while doing relatively the same with kids. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back