Now Playing

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dleg

Spammer Emeritus
Reaction score
Anyone else seen "Tropical Thunder" yet?

Holy shit, was it ever funny.

"What do you mean, you people?"

"Aw wait a minute, what you mean, you people?"

:Locolaugh:

Point of interest - it was co-written by a guy named Etan Coen, who also happened to be one of the co-writers of Idiocracy. I've got to keep my eye out for this guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, absolutely hilarious movie. Highly recommend.

Robert Downey, Jr.'s character really made the movie great.

I really liked this one, "I'm a lead farmer, mutha fu---!"

finally got to watch tropic thunder, I really think Tom Cruise should win an academy award for his character "Who is the best boy?, Go hit Damien upside the head"...

Also finally got around to seeing Dark Knight, pretty good, but pretty dark, not quite as good as the previous batman IMO...

finally got to watch tropic thunder, I really think Tom Cruise should win an academy award for his character "Who is the best boy?, Go hit Damien upside the head"...
Also finally got around to seeing Dark Knight, pretty good, but pretty dark, not quite as good as the previous batman IMO...
I haven't seen it yet, but I didn't know Tom Cruise was in Tropical Thunder until all the buzz about academy awards for his part.

before you go and grow a concious...

g5.jpg

^-- full of money

will have to check out Tropical Thunder. We watched DK at hoime the other night. Second time for me as I a saw it at the theater. I thought it was much better than the Micheal Keaton era Batmans. Now I guess I need to watch Batman Begins.

My kids rented Stepbrothers over the weekend. It's got some funny stuff in there.

MA_PE, I meant the previous "Batman Begins Movie" the ones with Keaton and Clooney just dont stand up to the last two

will have to check out Tropical Thunder. We watched DK at hoime the other night. Second time for me as I a saw it at the theater. I thought it was much better than the Micheal Keaton era Batmans. Now I guess I need to watch Batman Begins.
My kids rented Stepbrothers over the weekend. It's got some funny stuff in there.

I watched Stepbrothers this weekend. Hilarious.

We watched the unrated Forgetting Sarah Marshall this weekend. A little slow at the begining. Definitely some good one liners in there, the Gag reel/deleted scenes had some good ones too. Too much full frontal male nudity for the hubby though, he left the room to go play WoW.

A few movies I've seen lately:

The Punisher: War Zone - fun but extraordinarily violent and graphic. Actually very well filmed and a great character, at least in my opinion. A guilty pleasure, but keep your children far, far away from it. Possibly the most violently graphic move I have seen yet, but I'm really not sure - there ahs been so many of them (why does showing two people having sex earn an "X" rating, but showing multiple beheadings, throat cuttings, and blown off heads is OK for the general public???? Tell me you haven't wondered about which is the worse thing to show to people....)

The Day the Earth Stood Still - remake of a true classic, which of course makes it impossible to judge without comparing the two. This new version fell apart for me because of the preachy environmental tone. I guess it didn't seem as bad when the aliens were wiping out humanity because humans had become too violent and were threatening to destroy the world and spread the violence into space. It was an obvious message that made sense at the time. I'm not saying climate change should be taken less seriously, but it doesn't seem as worthy of destroying humanity. The movie itself is clunky and the characters pretty much unbelievable as well. Keneau Reeves as the freshly cloned alien body? Give me a break - he's too recognizable, PLUS he has scars on his face. WTF would a freshly cloned human body be doing with scars on it already? (that's the engineer/geek perspective). And the totally hot babe as the "astrobiologist"? I suppose it's possible, but....

The Tale of Despereaux - My son loved it. I almost fell asleep.

Bolt - moderately more interesting.

Madagascar 2 - Escape From Africa Very promising first half. Much better than the first. But in the end it felt like the writers (or budget manager?) just said "OK I'm tired of this crap. Let's wrap it up." Seriously - there was so much comic potential in the tribe of lost New Yorkers roaming the African jungle. But then they disappear and suddenly only factor into the end scene in a very minor way. And then the movie's over.

[can you tell I have to watch a lot of kid movies?]

Im really looking to Christmas movies this year:

Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Spirit

Then in early January:

Gran Torino

The Wrestler

Lots of good stuff coming out!

Watched DK earlier in week for 1st time. Really was unimpressed all in all. I thought Nicholson's Joker was just as twisted, just less creepy i guess.

I picked up Apocalypto today for stocking stuffer gift. . .haven't seen it - anyone have any comments on it?

edit: not my kids stocking, lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah - Apocalypto was one of the other blood and gore record breakers I have seen in recent years. It was an OK movie, though, but not something I would want to watch more than once. Be careful who you give it to.

Another Mel Gibson gore-fest? Hmm, maybe i'll return it - I had 10,000 BC in my hand, which i thought was epically good, but the intended gift receiver has seen it too.

Another Mel Gibson gore-fest? Hmm, maybe i'll return it - I had 10,000 BC in my hand, which i thought was epically good, but the intended gift receiver has seen it too.
Yep, big time. It was gory as hell, but a pretty good flick. The most annoying part was the complete lack of english.

Do they speak english in 10,000 BC?
Dunno...never seen it. My guess would be no, considering English didn't exist in 10,000 BC. But Hollywood does have a habit of spontaneously allowing foreigners to speak fluent English when it fits the scene.

Back