Now, for the wait ....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get anything out of having a PE where I am right now, besides a pat on the back from yours truly... So I am not banking on it as much as other people are...

I just hope I pass so I don't have to retake the exam... that being said, if I pass I am doing the SEII in October. So there is no salvation for me just yet...

I understand the wait may seem a bit long, but I'd like to offer a different perspective, which in the era of instant gratification will most likely not be very popular here... but, one is still entitled to one's opinion regardless... That is to say, that I have actually begun to like this long waiting period... there is something raw, real, and true in this waiting process... especially in this 'instant era' we live in these days :)

What do you think?

Regards.

there is something raw, real, and true in this waiting process... especially in this 'instant era' we live in these days :)
true... But I think that there are reasons technology has been moving towards higher speeds, instant feed back and all that.... one of those reasons is that people don't like waiting for test results!

true... But I think that there are reasons technology has been moving towards higher speeds, instant feed back and all that.... one of those reasons is that people don't like waiting for test results!
It's not that we're obsessed with instant gratification as much as we are constantly striving for bigger, faster, smarter, more durable, and most importantly more efficient. If we didn't do this as humans, wouldn't engineers no longer be needed? I always thought this was the entire underlying principle for engineering. One of my professors in college summed up engineering when she was explaining the reasoning behind learning the derrivation of some of our equations: any monkey can be trained to use an equation, an engineer knows how to manipulate it to work better.

I will agree that there are some things that just go way beyond what is necessary, and are borderline obsurd.

IMO, there are several steps in the NCEES grading perameters that could easily be removed or done in a more efficient mannor. Why do they need to wait until after the exams are taken to ensure the machines are working properly? This could easily be done in the weeks leading up to the exam. With the invention of these amazing things like excel spreadsheets and computer scanned answer sheets, there is no reason that the raw grading and basic analysis couldn't be done in a day or two (my wife's scantron exam results are returned to her the same day at the school she attends). The cut-scores can be calculated as soon as the exam is written. Why do they need to wait for the results to calculate the preliminary cut score? The exam is supposed to be objective and not set a predetermined number of pass/fail applications. Obviously the cut-score may need to be adjusted if a "rogue" question/answer is found, but how long would it take to make an adjustment - an hour or two, maybe?

So once you consider the basic administrative things (packaging up the exams - Monday, sending them off to South Carolina or each particular state's office - 3 days, sorting - a week, analyzing "rogue" questions/answers & adjust cut score- a week, and packaging up results - 3 days), there really is no reason that something like this couldn't be done in under a month. I understand that some states take it a bit further with board meetings to approve cut scores, review the results, adjust pass/fail criteria, etc. but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect results in under 4 weeks.

The only other thing I could think would slow things down would be an understaffed / under-supplied grading crew. If all of the exams (PE, FE, PS, LS, Mechanical, electrical, etc.) are all funnelled into one machine one at a time by a single person who is years beyond the governmental expected retirement age, then yeah, it could take a bit longer. However, a group that is comprised and operated by engineers, I doubt it.

Last edited:
Hang in there! Try to relax and completely forget about the exam for a few months. Decompress the brain and recharge the mind. Catch up with family, friends and the rest of the world. Enjoy the Spring.
I'm sure most of you have researched and have an idea of when your state can expect the results.

Relax and don't torture yourself too much! :smileyballs: (I know I tortured myself, but it doesn't change anything)
time to start torturing yourself.

Is it just me, or does that clock up there seem to click off seconds much more slowly than it did when it was counting down to the test? Is there anything that can be done to speed it up?

One more 6 week wait... The state now has to review my entire application (including the test) and then issue the license and PE number. This can take up to 6 more weeks!

Oh well, I would rather have a 6 week adminstrative wait than the ~2 months left for the Cali test takers...

the wait didnt bother me until other people got their results and i didnt have mine yet. THEN i freaked out. but the time in the middle wasnt bad.

It's not that we're obsessed with instant gratification as much as we are constantly striving for bigger, faster, smarter, more durable, and most importantly more efficient. If we didn't do this as humans, wouldn't.

one at a time by a single person who is years beyond the governmental expected retirement age, then yeah, it could take a bit longer. However, a group that is comprised and operated by engineers, I doubt it.
I think if there are "problematic" problems the feedback loop to test writers might take some significant time. Everyone would agree raw scoring should be nearly instantaneous, but remember 70% isn't a raw score.

the wait didnt bother me until other people got their results and i didnt have mine yet. THEN i freaked out. but the time in the middle wasnt bad.
After taking the test, I all but forgot about it for about a month. As people started talking about expecting results soon, I started to think about it a little bit again. But when someone actually got results, time nearly stopped until I got my results. I can't imagine how stressful it is now for the people who still have no results and may be looking at several more weeks of waiting in limbo. The many extra weeks of suspense the folks in California must endure must be complete torture. I think if I was in that situation, I would just have to find some way distract myself with something else, or else lose my mind.

Back