No wonder why Engineers aren't paid well

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picusld

Reaction score
Heard this on the news and it made my skin crawl. I know it is just a title thing, but dilute the title of engineer by our president is just wrong. If he were to come out and say that he were going to train 10,000 doctors when in reality he meant 10,000 med techs, the AMA would be rioting.

In an effort to keep jobs here in the United States, President Barack Obama unveiled his new program aimed at training 10,000 engineers a year. His plan is to hopefully kick-start job growth here in the United States. While speaking in North Carolina, Obama said the program would involve companies like Intel Corp. Within Obama’s new program there would be incentives for companies like Intel Corp. (NASDAQ:INTC) to double their summer internship hiring. The program would also help universities pay for engineering programs, as well as offering students incentives to finish their degrees.Obama stated that, “If we’re going to make sure the good jobs of tomorrow stay here in America, stay here in North Carolina, we’ve got to make sure all our companies have a steady stream of skilled workers to draw from.”Obama spoke a second time with his Jobs and Competitiveness Council after the meeting. This council is made up of 26 private-sector leaders in charge of finding ways to boost job growth.President Obama later stated, “I will not be satisfied ’till everyone who wants a good job that offers some security has a good job that offers security.”.

This Business News video “Obama Looking To Keep Engineering Jobs Here In The United St” is copyright by Financial News Network and brought to you by Gamut News. Feel free to share or embed this video but this video may not be broadcast, redistributed or rewritten in whole or part without express written permission. Gamut News is a leader in providing critical news to readers, media outlets, researchers, businesses, and governments worldwide. After the video check out our homepage for the most current business news.

Uh, I think you are interpreting this wrong. It clearly says that he wants companies to step up to the plate to offer more and better internships to engineering students, while at the same time offering incentives for them to finish their degrees. I'm all for that. I know that engineering students are having a hard time finding good internships which makes them less likely to land a good job once they graduate.

This doesn't really apply to doctors because internships and residency programs are a vital part of medical school. Some engineering schools require internships or co-ops as part of their curriculum, but not very many.

Uh, I think you are interpreting this wrong. It clearly says that he wants companies to step up to the plate to offer more and better internships to engineering students, while at the same time offering incentives for them to finish their degrees. I'm all for that. I know that engineering students are having a hard time finding good internships which makes them less likely to land a good job once they graduate.
This doesn't really apply to doctors because internships and residency programs are a vital part of medical school. Some engineering schools require internships or co-ops as part of their curriculum, but not very many.
you are correct. I interpretted wrong.

one of those days...

the training wont do much good if there isnt any "work" going on.

Obama needs to focus on getting the transportation bill authorized (amongst others) and keep that moving....

Given his background, i don't think he really knows what it takes to create jobs, and the people he surrounded himself with don't seem to either.

That being said, it isn't really the President's job to create jobs. He can, however, promote a business friendly agenda. can't say that I've seen that happen.

The problem I see is that companies and managers do not know how to use engineers. Most highly Admin people are scared of creativity, and that is what engineers do. The USA is at the beginning of a creativity crisis, and it will only get worse as our schools train kids to be right rather than any of the creative stuff where it is okay to be wrong. I noticed this when I interviewed my own 8 year old daughter for a personal creativity in business class that I took this past spring. My daughter was afraid to answer my open ended questions for fear of being wrong. My manager's answers showed how closed minded he is to creativity.

What I saw in my Corporate Strategy class, the USA will be falling behind other countries that are not afraid to be creative, and encourage it in their corporate cultures.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the feeling that he believes the problem we have in this country is not enough people trained to do certain jobs...when the reality is now we have too many people trained to do certain jobs, he's got it backwards. Companies aren't hiring because no one is available, they're not hiring because they wounldn't have anything for new people to do if they did.

Typical acedemia beauracrat. everythings easy when you're using theoretical numbers.

Back