NFL

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
Are we going to have to watch SCABS in the Fall or do you think they will work something out?

RG, I believe it was agreed upon that in the event of a work stoppage, no replacement players would be used.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/03/10/27160...ar-to-have.html

who cares? There will still be college football.
If that's the alternative, I won't have to worry about getting my homework done this fall. They're just not the same game and the college version has never really appealed to me. Plus every game is like Powerhouse U. 72 - College of Our Lady or Perpetual Misery 3.

If that's the alternative, I won't have to worry about getting my homework done this fall. They're just not the same game and the college version has never really appealed to me. Plus every game is like Powerhouse U. 72 - College of Our Lady or Perpetual Misery 3.
Hey, at least as a college football fan I don't have to worry about a lockout. :D

Hey, at least as a college football fan I don't have to worry about a lockout. :D
I dunno...I think the Auburn players might strike if their salaries were cut.

I dunno...I think the Auburn players might strike if their salaries were cut.
Along the same lines, but completely unrelated.

In the investigation following the death of a student videographer at ND becuase of windy conditions, the school refused to turn over video from the practice because it contained “highly proprietary, trade secret information related to the business of college sports,”.

Not that anyone disagrees, but I am surprised they admitted it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/b...2061,full.story

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a report that the NFL makes almost as much money (~$9B) as the NBA (~$3-4B), MLB (~$5B) and NHL (~$1B) put together.

And yet here we are talking about a strike.

I dont know enough about the business of the NFL to really comment much about the lock out/strike/WHATEVER F*** YOU RICH $HITHEADS but I guess Im going to be pretty bummed out come the fall.

I heard an interview with the head of the union that represents NFL players, also the same union that represents coal miners. It was an interesting talk what with negotiating needs and desires of coal miners and the whole 'millionaires vs. billionaires' debate of the NFL.

Cam Newton is transferring to Kentucky. He said the money was too good so he is not going pro now and will play for the Wildcats.

Sounds to me like they will settle.

In the end, I think the NFL will be better for it. The probable rookie salary guidelines would help a lot. The way it is now, NFL bottom-feeders have to pay rookies like Pro Bowl players. All a team like Detroit has to do is pick a Joey Harrington every few years and they are doomed to stay at the bottom.

Here's a NON-republican way of looking at it. Spread the wealth. (the GOP may revoke my card for this one)

but, how about they take the excess money, and the money that would have went to rookies after the cap is installed, and put that money in a fund/account.

From there, if you are on the 53 man roster for one year, you get an automatic $1,500/mo.,

2 years on a roster, $2k/mo.,

3 years = $2,500k/mo.

4 years = $3,000/mo.

etc. etc.

THEN, contracts between players and owners could be structured as an amount on top of that monthy pay, and for whatever duration.

This helps solve the lack of retirement for NFL players and also helps level out some of the pay amoung various teams/players

just a thought

Here's a NON-republican way of looking at it. Spread the wealth. (the GOP may revoke my card for this one)
but, how about they take the excess money, and the money that would have went to rookies after the cap is installed, and put that money in a fund/account.

From there, if you are on the 53 man roster for one year, you get an automatic $1,500/mo.,

2 years on a roster, $2k/mo.,

3 years = $2,500k/mo.

4 years = $3,000/mo.

etc. etc.

THEN, contracts between players and owners could be structured as an amount on top of that monthy pay, and for whatever duration.

This helps solve the lack of retirement for NFL players and also helps level out some of the pay amoung various teams/players

just a thought
:eek:hmy:

BUT, the average salary in the NFL is $2.1Mil

So if you take that # and divide it by 40 years (22 year old player until he's 62), it comes out to $53,400 per year. If he plays 2 years, you could average that out to $106,000 per year, 3 years, etc. etc.

Just sayin'. Wouldn't be a bad gig still. Make the 53 man roster for 1 freakin' year and bank $53k until you are at social security age

But my approach above was to take HALF that amount and give out over the 40 years, then let the players make the other half as they play.

So, it would be like the first year getting $26k year (2k/mo) for 40 years, then making the measley $1Mil salary.

Back